Default bellhousting blues....??

using an older 400 block that is only drilled for a staggered sbc starter.......with this starter looks like you can only use the staggered starter and the 168 tooth flywheel.....

go those....but now the bellhousing I have wont fit...guess its for 153 tooth only....

so can someone tell me what make and model of chevy I need for an aluminum bell housing that will work with 168 tooth or what housing I need ? thanks

Put engine on the stand, bolt on the 153 tooth flywheel, get a mini starter with straight across bolt pattern and bolt it on the block with the outer bolt and turn it to get the right mesh on the teeth. Now drill down thru the other starter bolt hole into the block, remove the starter and tap the hole. Done deal, all your normal components work, I have done this several times without issue.

Quote Originally Posted by stpmotorsports View Post
    Put engine on the stand, bolt on the 153 tooth flywheel, get a mini starter with straight across bolt pattern and bolt it on the block with the outer bolt and turn it to get the right mesh on the teeth. Now drill down thru the other starter bolt hole into the block, remove the starter and tap the hole. Done deal, all your normal components work, I have done this several times without issue.
    Yep....What stp said......................
    Old enuf to know better, still too young to givadamm.

thanks all also figured out 3899621 1966-'74 BBC 1973-82 SBC Aluminum 11" clutch 168 tooth flywheel (Identical to 3872444)

woudl work if I can find one....may drill if I cannot locate one...thanks all ....

Default Drill and tap

Save your money on buying another clutch and flywheel set up, listen to the other racers, we have done the same thing. Drill and tap 1/2 hour and ready to start!

Mike Bulpitt 26B
    Owner driver