Question New to the Sport

Dont know how many or what kinda of responses this will generate, but here goes; Girlfriend just bought me a 78 camaro roller, came with screw jacks, afco springs and control arms, and 9 inch rear. Needs motor and tranny. I will be trying to build a motor this winter for it with the help of her dad. Questions was, what advise would or could you give someone that has never raced? The majority of the people ive ask, have been get out while your ahead, LOL. But laying all jokes aside. Any suggestions on which trans to use, i was going to use vortex heads and maybe a performer intake.
    Thanks.

either a Saginaw 3 speed or a 2 speed power glide is what most use in these cars, are the frames conected? if there not it might allow the chassis to flex and break bell housings on the pg and 3sp. make sure you use the bullet proof steel bellhousings on the 3sp and a scatter sheild on the pg as well. other then that just have fun and do not try winning the race on the first lap. start off slow and work your way faster, i know its hard to do but it pays off when your not replacing everything because of a rookie mistake.
    also what do your rules allow for tranys? is it a gray area or can you use whatever you want. because if you can use a falcon of bert you would save money in the long run by starting with one
    dillonsolumracing.weebly.com

Default Think wisely

First have fun and enjoy what you are doing, very few racers from local dirt tracks are called up by Nascar. Keep you temper in check. Second what you need to do is drive laps, become consistent and smooth diving the car. Third work on the car to make sure the car is safe and race worthy, you want to finish the race, a car that is nothing but problem and breaks down, will discourage you and you might quit before you have fun and do well. Work on suspension set up and front geometry, for the car to handle and turn well. Read book and learn as much as possible. Fourth do not waste money spend wisely. Build a good motor that makes decent power that is reliable and will run race after race. Starts all the time and will not overheat. Think and be sensible , vortec heads make great power.
    Hope this helps, ask more question anytime.
    Mike Bulpitt
    26B Owner Driver

If you or her dad dont have plenty of experience building engines. Shop around find one soneone else has done the work on. You will be busy enough trying to figure out whats going on. You dont need to be blowing engines up or trying to figure out whats wrong with it.

Hold your line!! On the track, hold your line. If you want to run the bottom, fine. Hold you line. If you want to run the top, OK, hold you line. Dont go back and forth 10 times each lap. Other drivers will end up knocking you out of the way. Its expensive to fix the car when you get knocked out of the way by drivers that have way more experience and are faster than you. Have fun. Drive with respect and you will be driven with respect. Good luck to you.

First thing I would do is buy that girl a ring! Sounds like a keeper to me.

Default Absolutely

Absolutely !!!!!
    Better treat her like a Queen!!!!!!
    I sure missed that one.

Mike

Default Keeper

Quote Originally Posted by Crash 4 View Post
    She a keeper for sure.
    Plan is to give her a ring next month.
    That's for the advice. I'm a pretty level headed guy with patience I'm looking forward to enjoying the sport.

Quote Originally Posted by Crash 4 View Post
    Sounds like a trick to me. Or she doesnt know any better.
    My car is known as my Mistress and there is a guy I bench race with All the time and he is known as my other Bi_ch. If she isnt jealous yet she will be. Lol

Quote Originally Posted by Driver88 View Post
    Sounds like a trick to me. Or she doesnt know any better.
    My car is known as my Mistress and there is a guy I bench race with All the time and he is known as my other Bi_ch. If she isnt jealous yet she will be. Lol
    LOL, we took her dads car to the track yesterday for some practice and being that i have never driven a car it was the best time to go. We had a blast. Gas prices hurt but six hours at the track and the entire family got to drive it. SO it was fun. His car was having carb issues.
    thanks again for the input and advice. Im looking forwarded to next season.

get to know the other drivers in the class,..youd be surprised how much thay will help you with set up an finding the fast line...erry body rivals there compatiotion but thay also love compatiotion just as much!

Well i wont be expecting much help from them. As much as that class beats and bangs and fights in the pits with each other. And not to mention the favortism the track shows towards certain drivers.
    I'll see once i am out there who is friendly and who is foe.

Default new to the sport

Quote Originally Posted by Eamsnewbie View Post
    Well i wont be expecting much help from them. As much as that class beats and bangs and fights in the pits with each other. And not to mention the favortism the track shows towards certain drivers.
    I'll see once i am out there who is friendly and who is foe.
    You must be at East Alabama at Phenix city.

dirt2

Quote Originally Posted by dirt2 View Post
    You must be at East Alabama at Phenix city.

dirt2
    yep, thats the track i was referring to, however ive seen favortism at Senoia too. I'm sure its that way at all the tracks. now the beatin and bangin is not as bad at senoia. but the cars usually have more damage at that track b/c of the inside wall and the track is narrow.

What class do you plan on running?

Quote Originally Posted by SBR47 View Post
    What class do you plan on running?
    depends i guess on tech, i plan on running bomber class. I would like to get some practice in before i get out there with the guys who've got more invested in their cars. I dont know if they have any winter practice but it would be nice. I got the car in the shop this weekends and the front sheet metal taking off. I looked over the control arms and there is a lot of play in the steering. Looks like the ball joint for the pitman arm is about to fall out of the center link. I didnt get down and get a close look at it, its gold anodized. I also took the seat out and ten years of mud. I've got a lot of work to do!!!!
    if i could figure out how to post a pic on here i would show ya'll the car.