Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Heads vs Heads

Default Heads vs Heads

I've only got two options; pull some vortect heads from the junk yard or use some 461 *camel humps* heads. Which is the better choice? And if you went with the vortec heads what intake would you use?
    thanks

Default heads

http://www.circletrack.com/enginetec...cylinder_head/

Cast iron Vortec intake

dont redrill gen 1 intake its junk

vortecs are the better head...

Quote Originally Posted by Dirt Knife View Post
    http://www.circletrack.com/enginetec...cylinder_head/

Cast iron Vortec intake

dont redrill gen 1 intake its junk
    The only VORTEC intakes that were not fuel injection were marine and many rules do not allow marine parts.

I didn't think that far ahead, so
    A Holley 600cfm carb will not work on a standard Vortec intake? Guess I need to look into that

Quote Originally Posted by Eamsnewbie View Post
    I didn't think that far ahead, so
    A Holley 600cfm carb will not work on a standard Vortec intake? Guess I need to look into that
    whats the intake rules at your track,..bout any intake can be drilled to work with vortec heads...

This is for bomber class INTAKE:
    A. Cast iron or aluminum factory production low profile intakes permitted.
    B. May run aftermarket aluminum dual plane intake manifold. ONLY intakes permitted to use are Edelbrock 2101, 2701, 5001 or 7101. Weiand 8120 or 8150. Summit Racing 226008, 226012 or 226014.
    C. Vortec Heads may run Edelbrock #7116 or 2116 or GM # 12366573 (same as on 602 crate engine), Weiand 8120 or 8150. These are the ONLY intakes allowed with Vortec Heads.
    D. NO porting, polishing, squaring, or epoxying of intake ports, plenum, or runners. NO Rmilling or hogging out plenum.
    E. One 1” carburetor spacer or one 1” adapter plate permitted on all engines.
    F. Ford Motorsport low profile aluminum intake permitted.
    Or the hobbY class
    INTAKE:
    A. Any cast or aluminum dual plane intake. Edelbrock #5001 allowed.
    B. Open plenum intake add 100lbs.
    C. NO port matching. NO porting, polishing, or epoxying of runners permitted. D. 1” Carburetor spacer allowed.
    CARBURETOR:y class

#7116 would be my choice!!

what is the carb rule. 650 or less use 461 you can cut them more and get better bottom end. if you can run a 750 then use vortec . we built 357 in 09 and made better power with 461 with the 4776 carb rule we had. would rather match heads and carb and get the best that i can than have a head to big for my carb rule.

Quote Originally Posted by twisterf5 View Post
    what is the carb rule. 650 or less use 461 you can cut them more and get better bottom end. if you can run a 750 then use vortec . we built 357 in 09 and made better power with 461 with the 4776 carb rule we had. would rather match heads and carb and get the best that i can than have a head to big for my carb rule.
    carb rules is 600cfm.

did your vortecs have 1.94/1.50 valves though

and on his weekly rules, he is on a .460 lift hydraulic rule

both will highly limit the advantage of the vortec

Plus the vortecs with 1.94/1.50 from the factory are rare....plus the allot more likely to crack

Putting Seats in big valve heads is asking for trouble
    Last edited by carowner73; 09-19-2012 at 01:30 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by carowner73 View Post
    did your vortecs have 1.94/1.50 valves though

and on his weekly rules, he is on a .460 lift hydraulic rule

both will highly limit the advantage of the vortec

Plus the vortecs with 1.94/1.50 from the factory are rare....plus the allot more likely to crack

Putting Seats in big valve heads is asking for trouble
    yes there is a 450 lift rule i believe, we went through all the engine stuff he had laying around. we found some 882 heads. they've already been worked.
    so i think i will go with them.
    you coming to the state race?

I agree with stock car, we ran a 450 lift 4412 class and the vortec heads were about 20-25hp better than the set of 461x heads that we had on the car. The Vortec were good enough that we tried them on our modified motor (We also got a weight break for stock heads) and made a little more power than the untouched (old style) BowTie aluminum heads we were running. If you have a competent machine shop and do not cook the heads they will run without problems.

the vortech headed cars at our track run so much better than dubble hump heads our track added 100 lbs to cars with the vortec's an them bow tie vortecs are plum bad!! the bow-techs come in 2 runner sizes,...sure making the older heads useless if'in ya wanta be competitive..

Thanks for all the input

You misunderstood what i was trying to say stock car driver, I should have went into deeper explanation. The majority of heads you will find in the junkyards with 1.94/1.50 valves are already cracked or damaged. Most of the used heads in our area are already built with big valves. The vortec heads are not worth the trouble in most cases.

Yes, eamsnewbie we will be at the state race.... running cruiser, bomber, and hobby.....and i can tell you there is a 90% chance bomber will be won with a double hump motor, and hobby will be won with a vortec head motor with big valves. Seeing as we are the defending champion of the bomber division at the state race, I can tell you the state race last year was won with a double hump motor.

You misunderstood what i was trying to say stock car driver, I should have went into deeper explanation. The majority of heads you will find in the junkyards with 1.94/1.50 valves are already cracked or damaged. Most of the used heads in our area are already built with big valves. The vortec heads are not worth the trouble in most cases.

Yes, eamsnewbie we will be at the state race.... running cruiser, bomber, and hobby.....and i can tell you there is a 90% chance bomber will be won with a double hump motor, and hobby will be won with a vortec head motor with big valves. Seeing as we are the defending champion of the bomber division at the state race, I can tell you the state race last year was won with a double hump motor.
    Gotcha, I will be there just watching though. and good luck

Stockcar driver will you ship them I tried to pm you but couldn't fig out how
    Thanks
    my daughter my sailor my hero the next greatest generation is our men and women now in harms way Pray for them

EAMS state race results
    winner of bomber = double hump motor
    winner of hobby = vortecs with big valves

Just as I predicted, and the bomber winner was running laps within 2 tenths of the hobby winner in the feature, and was running laps faster than the hobby winner in the heat.

EAMS state race results
    winner of bomber = double hump motor
    winner of hobby = vortecs with big valves

Just as I predicted, and the bomber winner was running laps within 2 tenths of the hobby winner in the feature, and was running laps faster than the hobby winner in the heat.
    I missed the make up race this past weekend. Im guessing you guys did pretty good!!