Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Ticket Sales Slow at Knoxville !

I don't get it, I love Late Model racing, no imca a-mods as a support class ! The a-mods put 2000 to 3000 of those fans in the stands at $85 a ticket. BIG,BIG,BIG, mistake ! Sales are absolutly horable as of today, just 1 week away. You can sit anywhere you want, any section, not good. Just a wild guess I don't think they have sold 2000 tickets yet. I was coming Sat. (6 hours) not for 3 maybe 4 races. This race smells alot like Wheatland Show Me 100, and smells pretty bad !

Quote Originally Posted by TUTY View Post
    I don't get it, I love Late Model racing, no imca a-mods as a support class ! The a-mods put 2000 to 3000 of those fans in the stands at $85 a ticket. BIG,BIG,BIG, mistake ! Sales are absolutly horable as of today, just 1 week away. You can sit anywhere you want, any section, not good. Just a wild guess I don't think they have sold 2000 tickets yet. I was coming Sat. (6 hours) not for 3 maybe 4 races. This race smells alot like Wheatland Show Me 100, and smells pretty bad !
    Not everyone is going to buy reserved tickets (which are only in sections C, D, E, F and G rows 20-40) and ticketforce doesn't show us (Fans) the # of general admission tickets that have been sold.

Sections AA, BB, H, I, J, L, L, M, N and rows 1-20 in C, D, E, F and G are all GENERAL Admission.

having just features on Saturday is fine by me (a C main, B-main and the 100 lapper). The mods are fun to watch, but no big race should require a support class IMO.

When you are there on Thursday and Friday and there's 5000 fans (that's normal) and 5000 more fans come on Saturday it will matter ! Some will stay home if driving 5 to 10 hours for 1 day, I am,
    my car was 4 or 5 people. Lucas Oil has to have something to do with this, just like Wheatland, better get ready to count lug nuts on push trucks. I bet that track gets over watered and the races start late on Saturday Night !

When you are there on Thursday and Friday and there's 5000 fans (that's normal) and 5000 more fans come on Saturday it will matter ! Some will stay home if driving 5 to 10 hours for 1 day, I am,
    my car was 4 or 5 people. Lucas Oil has to have something to do with this, just like Wheatland, better get ready to count lug nuts on push trucks. I bet that track gets over watered and the races start late on Saturday Night !
    When they decided to lift the car count cap of 66, the RACEWAY made the decision to drop the support class. The infield pit area can only park so many rigs and allow the FANS (paying customers) to SEE the races that they paid to watch.

There is NO RIGHT ANSWER when it comes to support classes. Knoxville is doing what they feel is what THEIR paying customers want.

I'm going to tell you that the 2000 to 3000 mod fans that won't be there is the gravy, better known as profit, 2000 fans @ $85 = $170,000 ! Having mods keep no one away and adds to the ticket sales. Not having mods, well refer to above. There's no argument it's a fact, it's stupid !

If you want a mod show, then go to a mod show! Mods = YELLOWS and a MUCH longer night. 2000 mod fans is a stretch dont ya think!

Quote Originally Posted by tracksmack View Post
    If you want a mod show, then go to a mod show! Mods = YELLOWS and a MUCH longer night. 2000 mod fans is a stretch dont ya think!
    I KNOW it's a stretch. They barely get 2000 fans for the Harris Clash with better weather and WAYYYY more mods (usually over 100).

And mods were a Saturday only event the last few years anyway (no support classes on Thursday or Friday), so that $85 goes down to $35 pretty quick....

First time I've ever heard a "fan" bit#h about the lack of a support class and the track making less $$$..... 99.9999% of the time it's the exact opposite.

Funny, I thought Lucas races were all 1 lane train races according to everyone on this message board...

Are you there all 3 days, I'm just a dirt track race fan and been to knoxville 50 times.

Are you there all 3 days, I'm just a dirt track race fan and been to knoxville 50 times.
    I've gone to Knoxville for 30+ years to every event they have (Sprints, Late Models, Mod's, AMA motorcycles, Enduro's, etc.).

The mod's DO NOT add to the fan count during the Late Model Nationals, just as the 305 Sprint cars did not when they were the support class. The fans have complained since a support class was added (during the 4th or 5th year I believe it was), that this race did not need a support class.

Crowds for the big races @ Knoxville this year (Knoxville Nationals, 360 Nationals, AMA Flat Track motorcycles, World of Outlaw Shows) have been up over the previous 4 or 5 years and I don't expect the Late Model Nationals to be any different.

We will see with the 5000 fans that come in just for Saturday. I bet the croud is down this year and if not next year it will be because people just expect a support class. Making a long haul for Saturday to see 3 maybe 4 races not cool to me. I just like racing and the a-mods have done a good job, I will just go to DEER CREEK tonight and see 115 of the best A-MOD drivers in the country and 50 USRA B-mods. This is a really good show, if everyone limits themselves to late models maybe we will get Virgina Speedway like last week $20,000 to win, 25 cars "ouch".

We will see with the 5000 fans that come in just for Saturday. I bet the croud is down this year and if not next year it will be because people just expect a support class. Making a long haul for Saturday to see 3 maybe 4 races not cool to me. I just like racing and the a-mods have done a good job, I will just go to DEER CREEK tonight and see 115 of the best A-MOD drivers in the country and 50 USRA B-mods. This is a really good show, if everyone limits themselves to late models maybe we will get Virgina Speedway like last week $20,000 to win, 25 cars "ouch".
    I don't think it will affect the crowd at all. A MAJORITY of the big races in Late Models have better crowds on day #2 of a 2 day show and all qualifying and heats are run on day #1. What's that leave for day #2? Just the feature and semi's (some of those events have support classes, but most do not).

Knoxville is doing what the fans have been asking for for the last 5 years (to not have a support class). Will it help or hurt the crowd? Who knows 100% for sure.

Like I stated before, there is no right answer on this. They have fans that say they would come, but won't because there is a support class and others that like the fact that there is a support class and they get more bang for their buck. The question is, which one is the larger group??

I do know this for certain. (2) of the (8) Late Model Nationals have had the 100 lap feature take in excess of 2 hours to complete due to yellow flags created by the competitors for no reason other than they "wanted" to change tires (not flats or blown tires) or they totally missed the set-up so they stopped to bring out a caution. (one of those events the actual temperature was 28 degrees outside). If those un-necessarry cautions went away and the 100 lap feature could be completed EVERY time in 35-55 minutes (34 minutes would be 20 second lap times if race went non-stop), I have NO DOUBT that a support class would be on tap.

Unfortunately the trend is for the 100 lappers to take MUCH, MUCH longer than that amount of time.

Default Deer Creek

Have fun @ Deer Creek, nice little track that puts on a great show.

I hope you re-consider coming to Knoxville, but I can understand where you are coming from. I have the same issues when I think about traveling to other venues.

5 hours for me to go from Knoxville to Sioux Falls for a Sunday Night show. Car counts are pathetic in every class and the program still takes as long or longer than one with twice as many cars does in Knoxville. Hard for me to justify it.

9-1/2 hours to Eldora for the Kings Royal, Dream or World 100. I don't really care if there is a Support Class, it isn't what I traveled to go watch. (this is a majority of the fans coming to Knoxville's mindset).

We drive over 1100 miles for the Nationals and would be furious if it included support classes. We don't like it the nights the legends run, though they don't take near the time that a bunch of dadblamed mods would.
    43 races this year.
    Tulsa Expo- 5, Volusia- 3, Bubba Raceway- 3
    Dillon Speedway- 1, Myrtle Beach Speedway-1, Hickory Speedway- 1
    Southern National- 1, Lincoln Speedway-2, Williams Grove Speedway-2, Indiana State Fairgrounds-1
    Anderson (Indiana) Speedway-1, Indianapolis Motor Speedway- 1
    Bloomington Speedway-1, Lawrenceburg Speedway-1
    Kokomo Speedway- 1, Port Royal-1, Limaland- 1
    Eldora- 2, Knoxville- 6, Oskaloosa-2, Attica-2, Wayne County-1

Quote Originally Posted by slick01 View Post
    We drive over 1100 miles for the Nationals and would be furious if it included support classes. We don't like it the nights the legends run, though they don't take near the time that a bunch of dadblamed mods would.
    I'm not a huge fan of the Legends either, but I like the "REASON" they have them "to support the families of fallen officers across the US" so it makes it OK in my book (plus they just fill in the dead time, I can still go to the concession stand, restroom, etc., and not miss anything I paid to see.

Just my 2 cents on a couple of things.

1. Ticket sales-- to me looking at the website, pre sales seem to up over previous years on number of reserved seats sold. The crowd is at least double on Saturday night. During the day there seems to be people everywhere and you can definitely feel the buzz.

2. Support class-- most of the time I don't care about the support class when traveling to big shows. To me its stupid to limit the entries on the premier class, but yet bring 30-40 mods in for the support class. I understand why the track did it. More back gate money. More fans???? Doubt it. You wanna see mods.... Go to Boone.

3. 100 lap feature-- I love it, its a chess match among competitors. Brady Smith dicing through the field last year was cool to watch. Also, watching Tyler Redd!ck come to life in last 20 laps was special. I do agree that it takes to long to run. And to guys that bring cautions to change tires or tinker with the set up...... That's Bush league.

1. Most fans buy their tickets when they get there.
    2. Having the modifieds would not pull in anywhere near to 2000 extra fans.

Just stop with your jealousy of Lucas Oil and Forrest Lucas.

I'm going to tell you that the 2000 to 3000 mod fans that won't be there is the gravy, better known as profit, 2000 fans @ $85 = $170,000 ! Having mods keep no one away and adds to the ticket sales. Not having mods, well refer to above. There's no argument it's a fact, it's stupid !
    Stay home. Nobody is going to miss your whining, crybaby attitude.
    Last edited by fryefan; 09-20-2012 at 08:52 PM.

Deer Creek was really good ! Have to agree didn't need a support class there. 116 a-mods and 56 b-mods and 350 laps of racing. When you get 116 cars in your premier class you don't need a support class. 8 heats of 15 cars (10 laps), 5 b-mains of 20 cars (20 laps), 1 40 lap a-main ! Your not getting anywhere near 116 cars at Knoxville, maybe 75 to 80 and I doubt that. Every year there's 72 cars entered and 60 show up and by Saturday there's 55 cars left !