Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default metric street stock help please

Hi just looking for an explanation and maybe some advise.
    Car sits at 3275 total weight now.
    springs lf 1100 rf 1150 lr 300 rr 225
    cross 53.9
    ls 54.2
    rear 54.1
    front stager 1 3/4 rear stager 1/2
    267 bite
    offsets rf 2 lf 3
    rr 4 lr 4

At a test n tune day the car seem to work great. Went to a race the past weekend and put a new tire on rr. The start of the race was good then car lost all forward drive. For the consi I added a 1/4 shim in the rf to get more drive. When I checked tire stager I found that the rr grew an 1 1/2, found my drive problem.Didnt have time to take out shims so I just put a different tire on lr to get stager back to 1/2. In the heat it kinda felt tight on entery so thought the extra bite would be ok. It did just the opposite, made it unturnable with excellent drive off. My question is if you have a tight entery is it the lr your trying to get off of or the rr and why did the extra bite tighten the car on entery, should have loosened it sio I thought?
    Thank you and any suggestions are welcome
    John
    Last edited by mudcrasy; 10-01-2012 at 04:30 PM.

what kinda tires you running?

hoosier emod 26.5

I checked the car over this weekend and the right front shock is bottoming out again. This is the same problem I had last year and never got it fixed. There is one more race for me this weekend.Just wondering if I could get some suggestions to remedee this problem. The scale numbers and springs are above.

Thanks

John

If you're allowed to, put some nuts under the RF shock where it mounts to the lower control arm to space it down. This would give you more travel.

Otherwise shim up the RF some more and take away LR shims (if you have them) by twice the amount you add to the RF. This will maintain your cross %.

Overall your LF seams too stiff though. We run very similar spring rates except we have a 200# split across the front with the RF being a 1200# spring. A softer LF helps the car turn in better, also adds cross weight.

Wouldn't more cross make a tight car tighter ?????

I originally had a 1000 on the left front and ithe rf bottomed out then. I put the 1100 on lf to help with the bottoming out and it did help. It seem to start bottoming again by adding the 1/4 inch shim in rf. I am starting to think the car is not transfering off the rf but if you can get the car to turned it still drives off the center and out of corner well so there must be some weight transfer.

AS for adding cross that should loosen entery and tighten off the corner. In this case it did not it made the entery worse. I have been fighting this since last year. Tried all the way up to 1300 on right front with no change, Put a 3 in offset on rr no change.

Thanks for the advise. Hopfully I canget this remedead soon no fun racing when your struggling.

John

What I use to space the RF shock down are called "coupler nuts" (most any hardware store will have them). I get a couple that are 1 inch long and 5/16-18 internal thread. Then I drill the thread part out with a 5/16 drill bit so a 5/16 bolt will go through them easily. Then you use longer (3 inch, I think I use) 5/16 bolts to mount the shock. These nuts are good and tough and you can get them in different lengths if you need to.

Also, remove the rubber bushing that goes on the underneath side of the upper mount (at the top of the shaft) and turn the washer over so that it is curved downward. This will give you another 3/4" of travel.

Now, your problem will be the lower control arm hitting the frame, not your shock bottoming out...
    Last edited by speedbuggy; 10-02-2012 at 04:14 PM.

Also, I am not seeing in here where you say how much upward wheel travel you have at ride height. I'd suggest at least 3 1/2, maybe 4 inches. This would translate into 1 1/2-1 3/4 shock travel...

Again, your limiting factor here needs to be the LCA hitting the frame, not the shock bottoming.
    Last edited by speedbuggy; 10-02-2012 at 04:13 PM.

Between the lca and the frame, at the factory rubber bump stop location, I have 3 1/4 space. Spacing the shock down would be illeigal for my rules. I did cut the rubber at top sock mount down to 1/4 thick. If I raise the right front any more the upper a-arm will start to angle down hill towards the tire. Right now it is slightly down hill. When it was level or up hill the front seem to turn better, both left and right tires were gaining equal air preasure. By raising rf more will that hurt the way the front works?

what shocks are you running

Quote Originally Posted by mudcrasy View Post
    I originally had a 1000 on the left front and ithe rf bottomed out then. I put the 1100 on lf to help with the bottoming out and it did help. It seem to start bottoming again by adding the 1/4 inch shim in rf. I am starting to think the car is not transfering off the rf but if you can get the car to turned it still drives off the center and out of corner well so there must be some weight transfer.

AS for adding cross that should loosen entery and tighten off the corner. In this case it did not it made the entery worse. I have been fighting this since last year. Tried all the way up to 1300 on right front with no change, Put a 3 in offset on rr no change.

Thanks for the advise. Hopfully I canget this remedead soon no fun racing when your struggling.

John
    adding shim to right front added cross, (tight, ) all depends on your driving style

Bilestien 1043 in front and 1044 in the rear. I took the 1/4 shim out of the rf and moved some lead to the left. The numbers are
    LS 54.8
    cross 54.3
    rear 54.3
    bite 310

Was also thinking of taking out about a 1/4 shim on the right rear and then pull a feww out of left rear to get bite back down to around 290 to 300. Think this might help or am I going the wrong way about things.

Thanks again

John

Remove the RF 2 off and put on a 3 off. If you need to loosen the entry some more put a 1000 in the LF. Remove and check the RF shock, could be bad.
    I would like to know how wide your rearend is? Cant figure how you can get 4 off's on both sides??
    Last edited by DaveBauerSS6; 10-02-2012 at 11:41 PM.

The rear is a 60" from moser. I did chech the shock by hand,that is the only way around here. Nobody in town has a shock dyno. Thanks I will try that on the right front. What do you think about lowering rear a little. Right now the rr is 1 1/2" higher than rf, rf is 3/8" higher than lf and the lr is 1 1/2" higher than lf.

Thanks

John

There are different setups that can win the same race. That said:

I like feel of the chassis higher in the rear. It raises the stock frame mounts in relation to the rear end. I run the lowers on the rear end about middle holes on Jeff's mounts. I vary the rear holes for rear steer. On our only track for IMCAs, it works well.

Shocks are difficult to test by hand. If the RF shock is weak it will allow the car to roll over and bottom out the RF. I would go to the 3 off in hot laps and then switch the front shocks for the heat IF they are the same. One change at a time.

On a stock rear suspension, I work on the front end to steer the car into the corner.

I've never ran that much bite, 50 to150 is the range. I'm not sure how that would handle??

Will more cross weight tighten you up on entry or exit ? And also what about left side weight ? The effects of more or less ? Thanks, Ricky

More cross will tighten exit.

More left will loosen you up in general.

So would more leftside weight help with the bottoming out right front and tight entery together?

Dave, my old chassi worked great with 280 - 300 bite . This chassi I built my self, is it possible that this chassi needs way less bite? If so can I do that with current springs and ride heights or do I need to do a little research and find what works with that amount of bite?

Thanks John