Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default WOO and LUCAS will kill LM racing

Ok, Knoxville 1 day away and 2 of the top 6 cars on the planet are off the entry list and 1 up and comer not coming ! Most all the WOO guys are staying home to race local tracks, with over $260,000 on the line over 3 days at Knoxville. This happens all over the country all year long and before long it will all be like Virginia speedway, $20,000 to win and 25 cars show up. These 6-10 shows that are so called CROWN JEWELS need to be unsactioned to teach a huge lesson to these guys that they can't control LM racing. You might say they will just schedule over top these shows then you'll have no one, not true. There's only 10-12 cars running each group full time and I have a example. When WOO Sprints split up in the early 80's to the USA group and WOO, all the big guy's raced at Husets Speedway Brandon SD and just 90 miles down the road at Jackson Speedway the WOO group was there without all there stars. 13 cars shows at the USA show with Kinser,Swindel,and all the big guy's and a whopping 85 cars showed at Jackson with many mid level names and people I've never herd of. They put on the best show ever seen at Jackson, and it didn't take the BIG guy's long to figure they better get over there ego's and the USA group was stopped and failed.

You almost had an argument until you said unsanctioned.

Why do things have to be sactioned, maybe they do tell me. Maybe with this saction money the 8 to 10 crown jewels could put together a big point fund with the money they through away to lucas and woo.

A reality lesson would do many folks a great deal of good on this forum. Many seem to assume that just because there is a big event taking place, to have any credibility, everyone has to be in attendance. If you don't come, you are a cherry picker or not a serious racer-dumb assumption. You can't move the Heavens and the Earth when your pockets are only so deep!!! Why meander half-way across the country spending a fortune in fuel trying to win the "big check" when you have mid-purse races much closer to you where you stand a much better chance of making some money even if you don't win? If this was 1978 or so and there was only one option to earn ten grand or more, you would still be seeing people biting the bullet and taking the gamble. IMHO, racers who have been able to leave their egos at the house and scale back and start looking at the bottom line instead of trying to earn all the bragging rights are the ones who still have a super late model program going when many have dropped to crates, mods or just hung up their helmets altogether.

Tuty,

I am sure if you put up the money to the tracks for those Crown Jewel events they would go unsanctioned. I would say the biggest reason these events are sanctioned is because it makes the most sense financially for the track to do so. Going unsanctioned does not guarantee that all or even most of the big names will show up. They have plenty of other options. Car counts are down everywhere the last few years and in some areas it is very hard to pull many open late models.
    Remember in April Lancaster, SC ran a 20,000 to win unsanctioned race and drew 25 cars. Lanigan has raced in 1 Lucas Oil race this year and that was the Latham Memorial on June 2nd. He did not run the North-South which is only minutes from his house and instead went on Vacation. It appears to me he is simply not supporting his series main competition or maybe he needs the time off.
    In the Midwest, a race sanctioned by 3 different groups, got 28 cars and another sanctioned by 2 groups and got 17.
    There are fewer super late model drivers and the ones that are left do a lot of picking and choosing as to where they will race.

"Remember in April Lancaster, SC ran a 20,000 to win unsanctioned race and drew 25 cars."

Just got back a couple of weeks ago from the USA 100....it was Lucas Oil sanctioned....paid $20,000 to win....and only drew 25 cars. What's your point?

Take a look at what happens to a WOO driver when he races somewhere that isn't sanctioned by WRG and he doesn't get their permission. http://www.onedirt.com/news/breaking...sprint-series/

It's sprint cars but I'm sure the same applies to their late model guys too.

Quote Originally Posted by dirt4dinner View Post
    Take a look at what happens to a WOO driver when he races somewhere that isn't sanctioned by WRG and he doesn't get their permission. http://www.onedirt.com/news/breaking...sprint-series/

It's sprint cars but I'm sure the same applies to their late model guys too.
    Actually the rule doesn't apply to Late Models..... technically.

Windycity you missed the point, go ahead have your sactioned groups, but the big shows don't need it. If Lucas and Woo shows on top of each other and a true Crown Jewel was also on the same weekend I would say the two sactioned shows would get 24 or less cars and 60-80 mid level cars would be at the crown jewel. It's a proven fact that if the top 20 drivers are not at the show 50 drivers that normally wouldn't go would.

If the Knoxville Sprint Nationals didn't have the top 20 cars there would be 200 cars racing for that purse !

Quote Originally Posted by TUTY View Post
    If the Knoxville Sprint Nationals didn't have the top 20 cars there would be 200 cars racing for that purse !
    Knoxville was unsanctioned for 3 straight years no less than 5 years ago. No more cars showed up...

Why do things have to be sactioned, maybe they do tell me. Maybe with this saction money the 8 to 10 crown jewels could put together a big point fund with the money they through away to lucas and woo.
    Most of these races need to sanctioned. Why??? Because its establishes there spot on the schedule whether its WoO or Lucas. If a show went unsanctioned, what's holding back Lucas and WoO from scheduling on top of it...... Nothing. Throw in the uncertainty with rules, format, tire testing... etc. etc. and that is why no one really shows up for those.

Difference between the Lucas show in Virginia and Lancaster. Nothing was scheduled against Lancaster and the Lucas show was competing with 3 regional races in that general area of the country and WoO was in the Midwest that weekend. Plus, time of year is a big difference. Early spring equipment is fresh, no other races going on. Everybody wants to get out and race. September, the race season grind starts to hit, guys not in running for points want the season to end.

alot of people wish the death of dirt late models just so they can feel smart. but neither of which will ever happen...

Anybopdy who has ever seen me post before will tell you that I am no fan of touring series' or sanctions, but I'm not an idiot, I know they're here to stay. There are a few things that nobody seems to be taking into consideration when it comes to WoO racers attendance at the Knoxville Nationals...

A. Knoxville, IA is a seriously long haul for all the WoO runners except for Kent Robinson. Everybody else is based pretty much on the east coast and would be looking at a 12+ hour trip at the very least to Iowa.

B. They get precious few weekends off either tour for r&r once the race season gets in full swing. Once they get a free weekend, lots of guys would rather take the time to hang out with the family or go have some non-racing related fun while the weather is still halfway decent.

C. There are high paying races much closer to home for most of the WoO guys this weekend. For instance... I could see the Rocket house car team electing going to Roaring Knob or Brushcreek this weekend instead. Brushcreek is about 4 hours away from the shop; Roaring Knob is maybe an hour.

D. Knoxville is very hard on motors. The season is wining down, I can imagine motors are in short supply for some guys. There are still points paying races on the schedule, and risking your equipment might be catastrophic for the points chase.

E. Only one car wins the big money.
    Last edited by Josh Bayko; 09-26-2012 at 03:55 PM.
    Follow me on Twitter: @JoshBayko

Guerrilla Racing Junkies!

20 to 30 cars on waiting list when it was limited to 66 cars

20 to 30 cars on waiting list when it was limited to 66 cars
    Hardly..... There was maybe 10 at the most. Last year the count was 65 that pulled through the gate. Year before was like 55 when it was unsanctioned.

Tuty,

So your point is have the Crown Jewels be unsanctioned and go ahead and have Lucas and WoO schedule on top of the Crown Jewels and then more cars would show up to the Crown Jewels.
    Could happen, so why don't the Crown Jewels go the unsanctioned route? Like I said earlier it must make more sense financially for them to go with a sanction rather than go unsanctioned.

Jog 49, My point is you can have a 20,000 to win unsanctioned event and get the same number of cars as a 20,000 to win sanctioned event. Just because you have an unsanctioned event does not mean more cars are going to show up.

Knoxville never had 20-30 cars on the waiting list that did not get to race. When they had a waiting list all the drivers on the list got to race because other drivers on the entry list backed out.
    In 2008 being unsanctioned 63 cars showed up. Unsanctioned in 2009, I think there were 59 cars but some had to leave due to the show being a one day event on Sunday in which 53 cars raced. In 2010 unsanctioned and 61 cars showed. Last year with Lucas Oil Series as the sanction, 64 cars showed up.

Ok, Knoxville 1 day away and 2 of the top 6 cars on the planet are off the entry list and 1 up and comer not coming ! Most all the WOO guys are staying home to race local tracks, with over $260,000 on the line over 3 days at Knoxville. This happens all over the country all year long and before long it will all be like Virginia speedway, $20,000 to win and 25 cars show up. These 6-10 shows that are so called CROWN JEWELS need to be unsactioned to teach a huge lesson to these guys that they can't control LM racing. You might say they will just schedule over top these shows then you'll have no one, not true. There's only 10-12 cars running each group full time and I have a example. When WOO Sprints split up in the early 80's to the USA group and WOO, all the big guy's raced at Husets Speedway Brandon SD and just 90 miles down the road at Jackson Speedway the WOO group was there without all there stars. 13 cars shows at the USA show with Kinser,Swindel,and all the big guy's and a whopping 85 cars showed at Jackson with many mid level names and people I've never herd of. They put on the best show ever seen at Jackson, and it didn't take the BIG guy's long to figure they better get over there ego's and the USA group was stopped and failed.
    There will more than enough quality cars.
    Last edited by fryefan; 09-26-2012 at 09:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by huskerdirt View Post
    Hardly..... There was maybe 10 at the most. Last year the count was 65 that pulled through the gate. Year before was like 55 when it was unsanctioned.
    Tuty just throws numbers out there, even when they are not even remotely close to facts. He just likes to complain. Maybe he should fined a new hobby that would make him happy.

I've seen atleast 20 cars on waiting list and 66 pre-entries and ya your right 15 of those 20 don't come and 5 do and 7 of the 66 back-out and there's 64 cars. Tell me this how many years have newman and stewart been on the list of 66 and has John Anderson ever ran more than night 1. I've been there 6 of the 9 years !