Default power valve question

Can a power valve be bad without being blown? I know that they added check balls to keep them from blowing, but we still had trouble until we replaced them last week. Symptoms were running rich at idle as well as laggy throttle response and rough idle.

yea mine just deterated i guess but the diaphragm thing inside was distorted and had same symptoms as yours. replaced and hey new life. i chased the rich condition a little before realizing there was somethin goin on

yes they deteriorate..but you need to check your main body for flatness..a common problem on old holleys..and I've never had a blown power valve and do not run a check valve ever...

We just put a new main body on at the beginning of the year and I actually did straight edge it for clearance because that was what was wrong with our previous main body.

Check your float levels, and that no gas is coming through the venturis at idle. Also make sure your idle and high speed air bleeds and passages are clean. If they get plugged you will experience those conditions.