Thread: Stuck axle

Default Stuck axle

I have about 8" of an axle stuck in my 9" rear end. Unfortunately it has a mini spool. I've tried to use a real small rod to push it from the other side with no luck. Then I pulled the whole rear and,with an old bent wheel on the end, I picked it up and dropped trying to "hammer" it out with no luck. Anyone have any other ideas. Thanks.

Did you remove the cross pin before you tried to get the axle out from the other side? If you were using the other straight axle as a push rod to push the other broke end out then you probabaly do not have enough spline length on the axle to do that. You should be able to pull the pin out and pull the good axle out and put a long rod into the axle tube and beat it out.

Um. It's a ford 9". Can't pull the pin because the chunk comes out the front but due to the broken axle the chunk won't come out.

duh... sorry about that. I had a big brain fart. you are not going to be able to push from the good side unless you can machine out something that resembles a pickle fork that will go around the cross pin. Maybe you can turn the rear end on its side and slam the broken end of the rear end down on a piece of wood to loose in up.

Ya. I think that may be my only option left.

Default ???

Got a stick welder and some 1/4" round
    make and weld on your own slide hammer.

Before cutting the housing (which is starting to sound like what is going to have to happen), did you take the pinion out? There may be some way to get at the axle stub with a screwdriver or something to get it unstuck. Been a while since I really looked at one, but isn't there a hole or two in the carrier you could poke through?
    Last edited by speedbuggy; 10-19-2012 at 06:28 PM.

Here ya go man! Watch how this dude done it....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=_jwQF-xcIeI

THIS IS THE FUNNIEST SH*T YOU CAN WITNESS!

So, what happened???

Cut the housing open and had to torch the broken axle out enough to pull the chunk. Then had to pull the mini spool and replace.

Thanks for the help fellas!!!