Thread: Tire Treatment

Default Tire Treatment

This has become a huge factor in racing everywhere im sure, but it really has made a notable difference in racing in our area. The majority of us run 55's. Also we have had the option in running in a fastrak class that you can have 200's and 400's which are close to a 20 and a 40. Now why do people soak tires? Just to soften? When you can get a 0 tire at open races why do they still soak tires? I'm really curious on this phenomenon that frankly is killing racing for those of us that take pride in winning without cheating.

Please anyone with info would be greatly appreciated!

It can do ANYTHING you want a tire to do. Soften, add bite, make tire last longer, make a tire fire quicker. Can add bite without dropping durometer any at all. Its all in what you want to do to a tire.Why soften a hard tire when you can start on a soft tire? Harder tire has a stiffer sidewall, which reduces sidewall flex. You soften a hard tire down with a stiff sidewall and it can be a tough tire to beat. Its a big game of chemical warfare which I wish they could get a tighter grip on, unfortunately there are very few track with the ability to STOP it all together. Some try....but it's not doing much good.

Quote Originally Posted by BMR View Post
    It can do ANYTHING you want a tire to do. Soften, add bite, make tire last longer, make a tire fire quicker. Can add bite without dropping durometer any at all. Its all in what you want to do to a tire.Why soften a hard tire when you can start on a soft tire? Harder tire has a stiffer sidewall, which reduces sidewall flex. You soften a hard tire down with a stiff sidewall and it can be a tough tire to beat. Its a big game of chemical warfare which I wish they could get a tighter grip on, unfortunately there are very few track with the ability to STOP it all together. Some try....but it's not doing much good.
    To be honest it is getting out of hand, people don't realize how bad it is for you. Good friend down south did it for a living and died of cancer before his 45th birthday. We as a team will quit racing before choosing to cheat. Theres no satisfaction in winning if you didnt earn it

We build and race Karts, where prep is legal. I still have a lot of friends who race cars and are prepping tires. There are chemicals out there that Are pretty safe and non cancerous. Are they 100% safe???No, but nothing is. Cars are to expensive now to have to worry about the cost of cutting and prepping. Thats why we got out years ago. A good set of prepped tires Are far better than traction control ever thought about being.