Default 604 Crate rebuild questions

I am wondering how people have gone between maintenance with the 604 and what that was? Ultimately I am interested in how much that maintenance costs on a per night or per lap basis.

Quote Originally Posted by 12 Mod View Post
    I am wondering how people have gone between maintenance with the 604 and what that was? Ultimately I am interested in how much that maintenance costs on a per night or per lap basis.
    good question is there any takers?
    how many laps can you expect from these engines?

I have one motor with over 130 nites on it and still going good, my son borrowed it at the end of the year and was in the top 3 about evry nite. This is our backup motor for next year as I wouldn't be afraid to run it some more., Changed springs 2 times last year on it.

Is that 130 nights without ever having the motor apart? Also, when springs are replaced, do you have to go back together with the same part numbers that originally came with the motor? Does anyone ever have their motor completely gone through? How often have people put new rings and bearings in these? Has anyone ever had to have a block bored, and is that even legal?

I have been running the same motor for 6 seasons now and I rebuild it about every 20 nights. I do all of the assembly work myself. If I have to do the same thing with a crate and pay someone else to rebuild it, I don't think it is the best option for me.

I am just trying to figure out how much money IMCA and the crate are going to cost, I mean save me.

130 nites and haven't had it apart, yes you have to use the proper springs, about 50.00 from GM dealer. You need to remember theres not alot of compression to abuse all the parts, plus you turn it 6600 and not 76-8000 rpms. We really like it as its not costing us a fortune to race anymore. I can buy a new motor on what a rebuild cost on our open motors and still buy a set of tires!

There isn't a lot of crate racing where I am from, and I haven't ever worried about it as it hasn't been an option.

I know that I can't take apart a sealed engine, but from what I have read, there are approved re-builders out there, so someone can. I am just trying to figure out what other peoples past experiences have been so I can make the most informed decision.

I know that Hendren's is an approved Fastrack, Nesmith's and GM rebuilder...828-286-0780

http://www.racingjunk.com/Late-Model...ate-Bolts.html
    fer 300 bucks rebuild it your self,..imca dont have builders then thay dont have nobody cirtifyed to tech one ether then!!

Quote Originally Posted by stock car driver View Post
    Umm yeah okee dokee. Cus you been racing IMCA how long? They have already caught cheated crates, in fact more than any other sanctioning body out there.

fyi those bolts are not gm bolts, they are identifiable as cheater bolts to the naked eye.
    Can I guess ; the color is dark, OEM is a dull aluminum color???
    Last edited by DaveBauerSS6; 10-29-2012 at 10:54 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by stock car driver View Post
    Umm yeah okee dokee. Cus you been racing IMCA how long? They have already caught cheated crates, in fact more than any other sanctioning body out there.

fyi those bolts are not gm bolts, they are identifiable as cheater bolts to the naked eye.
    didnt say it was leagle,..didnt say he wouldnt get caught,...he looking for a way around the rules so i showed him one,..this ruffles your feathers why????