Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Best SBC steel heads?

Im building a new steel head motor this winter. What are the best steel heads I can buy? Thanks

Depending on your application, I would say it wouuld be a toss up between the RHS 14 degree stuff and the big Bowtie Vortecs.
    Josh K.

Amen on the RHS 14* steel heads but also the heaviest steel head made.They use all 18* valve train so nothing from 23*will work.Next best head is the RHS Raised Runner 23* steel head,way better than the Vortec Bowties.Still heavy and uses 18* rockers but make an easy 650hp on a 360ci.

Does RHS still have any steel/iron heads?

not anymore. they quit with iron heads about 8 months ago. eq, dart and gm are your other sources for iron sbc heads.

Here we are 6 months later and RHS still has the raised runner steel heads in stock.In fact they have them on special this month for about $300.00 per head.

yea the oddball stuff takes longer to liquidate.

eq has bought all of the rhs core boxes. the new eq heads will be the old rhs stuff with eq logos basically.

Question Same question but,

What are the best 23 degree iron heads to use if this were a 2 bbl (4412) engine?? Thanks in advance for your responses.

The RHS raised runner steel heads are the best 23* steel head even for a 2 barrel application.

Quote Originally Posted by 4coil View Post
    What are the best 23 degree iron heads to use if this were a 2 bbl (4412) engine?? Thanks in advance for your responses.
    depends on what your intake rule is.

Any manifold is legal.....

Quote Originally Posted by 4coil View Post
    Any manifold is legal.....
    i would go with the vortec bowties with a bowtie super victor intake. the vortec bowtie has a raise runner like the rhs raised runner heads but they have better quality air flow and a much nicer chamber design.

I have built and run both the vortec bowties and the rhs raised runner heads and there is no comparison and anybody that tells you the vortec bowties are better has never run the rhs raised runners.For one thing the vortec bowties are not a raised runner head.Call any well known head porter and ask them how they compare.

Quote Originally Posted by perfconn View Post
    I have built and run both the vortec bowties and the rhs raised runner heads and there is no comparison and anybody that tells you the vortec bowties are better has never run the rhs raised runners.For one thing the vortec bowties are not a raised runner head.Call any well known head porter and ask them how they compare.
    yes they are raised. obviously you have never seen a set.

since i know you wont believe me here is some info...
    http://www.summitracing.com/parts/NAL-25534421/

scroll down to the "notes" section.
    in case thats to hard for you i'll copy and paste that also...

"You must use a raised runner design intake manifold or Vortec-style intake manifold for with these cylinder heads"

i can see why you "retired"

I am retired not retarded.I don't have to go read on a website what will or will not work.I have built vortec bowtie headed motors and they are not raised runner.Go read your websites notes and see if you can build a 436ci engine for a 350cfm 2 barrel class.Raised runner heads use a felpro 1263 or 1268 intake gasket not a 1205 or 1206.Your not the smartest person in the world and if you keep posting trash everyone will know it.
    In case you can't read then tell me why the website you trust so much says this " Intake Port Location: Standard"
    Last edited by perfconn; 05-02-2013 at 05:45 PM.

looks like a quick ending game , set and match.

standard as always been stock location clearly stated 11th line down.

You have to realize this is the same guy that said 6 months ago that the RHS raised runner head hasen't been available for 8 months when you can pick up the phone and call RHS and still buy them.

Quote Originally Posted by perfconn View Post
    You have to realize this is the same guy that said 6 months ago that the RHS raised runner head hasen't been available for 8 months when you can pick up the phone and call RHS and still buy them.
    when i posted about the rhs heads i was meaning that they quit making them. not that they didnt still have old stock left.

that was probably my fault for wording it that way. i forget that i need to dumb things down for the retarded AND retired!

It also says "intake port location, standard". So if I'm reading that right.....................

Am I incorrect?

Any input on this part? Am I retarded as well? It is possible. Just need to know. Prob some government money in it for me if I am.
    Last edited by keeks; 05-02-2013 at 07:20 PM.

I think "technically" the bowtie is considered a raised intake location by GM , the LT4 stuff is called a raised runner , but....... by most heads guys std , when you speak of raised runner heads your thinking like 0.5" or more, not a 0.1" .
    Last edited by 9car; 05-02-2013 at 07:27 PM.