Thread: Mastersbilt

Default Mastersbilt

I got a question for some of you mastersbilt guys. Im interested in the gen-x and smackdown and was wanting to know the characteristics and preferd driving styles of each. Likes and dislikes ? Thanks for any help !!!!!

Default mastersbilt

GEN-X is a much better car for the slick. Car is easier to set up for slick.It rotates better in the corner with the wider front end.Car has better forward drive.Its all around better and easier car to work with and drive.

Quote Originally Posted by rich tanner View Post
    GEN-X is a much better car for the slick. Car is easier to set up for slick.It rotates better in the corner with the wider front end.Car has better forward drive.Its all around better and easier car to work with and drive.
    Have you driven both ?? Have you talked to anyone who has? I have yet to hear anyone talk about great forward bite , in fact it's pretty much unanimous that the smack cars have more drive in dry slick conditions I can verify that first hand

Default mastersbilt

Kinda sounds like simular differences with the rocket (black) and rocket (blue). What about the s7 frontend wasent it used on some smacks. Thanks for any help !!!!!

We had both the Smack and Gen X the driver didnt like the Gen X in the slick at all, no forward drive, the car owner bought an X too, and he said the same thing, didnt have any forward bite. Now with that said, I believe that the Gen X is a good car for a long momentum track where you dont need a ton of forward bite, but short tight stop and go tracks I would stay away. The chassis of choice for forward drive around here right now has been the Barry Wright, check out Iowa racing stats and look for the names Andy Eckrich, Tyler Bruening, Travis Smock. All hard to beat this last year on the Wright chassis in the slick. Thats my experience anyway.

Default mastersbilt

C10, Did you like the smacks and did they have the s7 frontend ? We dont run alot of momentum tracks around here mostly 1/4 to 3/8 that are mostly heavy but dries out at times. We need a car with alot of drive but will turn getting off, The turning off is usually the problem. Has anyone had any experence with the rocket blue frontend ?

The one younger former go kart driver loved his Smack, it had the regular spindles on it. Tried the 7's and didnt care for them. The Masters cars drive great, have great roll in to the center and steer well thats for sure. I dont have any exp with the Rocket blue cars, only the black. But wil lsay I have been told they steer easier, but lack forward drive as well.

Quote Originally Posted by hucktyson View Post
    Have you driven both ?? Have you talked to anyone who has? I have yet to hear anyone talk about great forward bite , in fact it's pretty much unanimous that the smack cars have more drive in dry slick conditions I can verify that first hand
    I have driven both the smack down cars from 2004 until 2010 and Gen-X since. Everything I battled in the Smack cars I found completely fixed in the Gen-X cars.

Default mb

Hall, What type tracks do you usually run. Big ,small ,banked ,flat ,heavy ,dry and what does the gen x like and dislike ? Thanks

Hall, what tires are you on ?

Small 1/4 track to big 3/8's tracks just average banking for the most part, heavy, slick, and black. Usually on a hard tire rule, m40's, econ 1600's. From my experience they don't like alot of LF spring and they are pretty forgiving on RF spring choice. Very little J-Bar rake most of the time with standard rear bar ajustments. I know this sounds pretty standard but this car works the best that way. I think a shock package built for the Gen-X car it a big benefit as well. For me they are much more user friendly than the smack cars the best I was in my smack cars was with a small motor. I also ran the new spindle/front end stuff on my smack cars for about 2 years, it was good but I am not sure it was better with the standard stuff on it, I had more feel in the steering with the standard stuff. JMO hope it helps.
    Last edited by hall99; 11-06-2012 at 08:22 AM.

I currently run a smackdown...The S7 spindles are definitely a better spindle all around especially for the slick. Allows you to steer to the center of the corner and still stay gripped up off. The key is to drive it in that way everytime. One thing I cant get my smack to do is not slide the right rear alot on a hairpin slick track. I'd love to have the Gen-x, I've never ran one but with the new designs I've seen would solve that problem. I see where people on here complain about it not having forward bite but do you have the right combo to go along with it??? I seen a guy in a Gen-X go too soft on tire in a super race, He got spun early in the race and had to go to the rear. Drove it back up front and if the flagstand would have been 50 yds further away he would have won the race. He came in and the rear tires looked like slicks.

Ramsey I had exactly the same problem with the smackdown cars in the slick alot of the time. Thats one of the things i really like about the Gen-X cars they rotate so well without washing the back end on a tight corner.

Quote Originally Posted by hall99 View Post
    Ramsey I had exactly the same problem with the smackdown cars in the slick alot of the time. Thats one of the things i really like about the Gen-X cars they rotate so well without washing the back end on a tight corner.
    Thinking about going to a straight bar instead of a J-Bar for the slick tight corners?

Thats probably the major difference for us Hall, we are IMCA on Hoosier SCL (super chain link) tires. They are as hard as concrete, no side bite, no grooving no softening.