Thread: 383 cam help

Default 383 cam help

Building a 6" rod 383 sbc on gas and need a cam suggestion. Would like to run a solid flat tappet with no lift rules.
    Brodix track 1 heads
    Weiand team g "maybe swap to super vic"
    Ump dirt modified
    High bank 3/8 dry slick d shape
    11.5.1 compression
    Proably a 750 hp carb.
    Any suggestions? I was looking at comp cams 282-12001 (speedway #) would like to keep rpm around 7000 if possible.

2500 to 8000 rpm range
    .018 .020 hot lash
    Adv duration Int 289 exh 300
    Duration at .050 int 270 exh 266
    Lift int .588 exh .550
    Lobe separation 106 deg

Way too big.Need more information.

What else do you need to know

Need to run a roller if possible.Need to know rocker ratios.Stainless or titanium valves.Use the Edelbrock 2925 if possible.

Stainless valves and either 1.5 rockers or a set of 1.5 / 1.6. I have both. I'm looking for a good deal on a 2925 but haven't ran across one yet. More than likely Ill have one one the motor before the season. Cost is a MAJOR factor so Im pretty sure a roller is out if my price range.

Initial cost may be higher on a roller setup but in the long run they are cheaper.If you order a flat tappet cam from Comp be sure to order a Nascar Pro core or as some people call it a lobe lock core.Order a 6263 intake lobe and a 6009 exhaust lobe ground on 106* and put it in on 102*.Use the 1.6 rockers on the intake side.

Bet everyone you are running has a roller cam. I would hit every racer, engine builder around for a used roller/ lifters. Most guys go bigger on the cams and have the smaller ones laying around cheap. The smaller one would work fine for your app. Roller cams are easy to buy, they dont wear like a flat tappet. Roller lifters used can be a problem; know the seller is telling the truth about the condition.
    Looks like that cam number from Speedway is $200; you can easily buy a used roller cam for less than that. Miss one race, and you can afford the lifters. Now you are with everyone on HP.

Every thing Dave says is true but its not all about hp,its about reliability.You can't make any money if your in the shop replacing a cam that has eat up the lifters.By the way use a 6.125 rod if you haven't already bought 6 inch.

So who's got a GOOD used roller setup that will be good for my motor? From my experience most people who are swapping cams it's because there motor has a hole in the side. I would be willing to by used but it's such a gamble and 700 is out of the budget right now for new. Anyone one?

Roller cams are made of steel. You can look at every lobe and see if there is any damage. Cast iron cams are more difficult to see the condition of the hard face.

You need to get some friends at the track if you have to ask who. I dont know all the late model racers in my area; but just start asking, network. You race against guys running rollers, ask them. Find out who builds their motors. Call the builder, see if he has any thing used in your size. If its a yes, good, if no ask him for a contact. A no answer can lead you to the cam also. Most builders resell take out parts. If you are not sure of this kind of deal, find a buddy that can help you. I understand your concern, but I like to race against guys that are under motored. Most have the money, but are impatient to wait until they have all the money to do it right.
    I gotta race attitude.

Agree with all said above. Talk to those who should know and ask. There will be something around there that will work for you.
    BUCKLE UP NOW, YA HEAR?