Default General cam recc for tough rules

rules say no porting, hydro lifters, 190psi, 425 max valve lift .

is there much you can do with a cam to make much here? (rev 4500-7000)

if i was to try to get a custom grind, what would i ask for? it seems that most low-lift hydro cams can't get much duration either. what separation would be good? where would i want the intake to open btdc (@50) for this rpm range? i'm not too smart about this and when i call those that can offer a custom grind, i usually don't get much interest when i say lo-lift hydro.

You would be money ahead to buy an off the shelf cam that meets your rule specs.The HP gains you would see with a custom ground cam with those specs would be too small to justify doubling the cost.You would be far ahead to invest in chassie set up and tires.

i think work/$ on chassis and tires goes without saying, all the top runners work hard there.
    maybe my question shouldnt have been custom, rather what numbers help with this rpm range to help decide which one to try off the shelf.
    longer duration and earlier opening btdc would be better here? a little lower lobe separation? most shelf street cams care about idle, low rpm power, and comp codes to some extent (race cams are too high lift). since i don't worry about those things, i just want to make sure i get the closest i can so i dont' have to buy another.

thanks

www.schneidercams.com . Assuming you're running a 2.3/2.5L SOHC Ford, the best cam will be the Schneider 296H(hydraulic). Part/Grind # 1372. Operating rpm range of 3000-7000. 294 degrees seat-seat duration & 242-degrees @ .050". 106 lobe-separation. If in doubt, talk to Jerry or Kevin Cantrell. Schneider, over the many years, has likely ground more SOHC Ford 4-cylinder cams than anyone else on planet earth. By a wide margin! -84Dave-

Race Engineering has a nice stock lift hydraulic cam that I've used before. I know it will pull to 7000 with a cut head, valve job, single springs@ 210 cl, 250 op. JM242. .400 lift, 230@.050. They claim 200 pound comp. OR call schneider because they may know that cam.