Thread: Track packing

Default Track packing

Several years ago, I think it may have been in a racing magazine, one individual stated that they reverse packed their track, i.e. they packed going in the opposite direction of racing. Claimed that the racing didn't pull up the dirt and create holes.Anyone else familiar with this technique? Any other tracks packing this way? Just curious as to how well this worked.
    Last edited by RACEMAN; 11-05-2012 at 01:01 PM. Reason: spelling

a local track in my area did it that way for years even put sope in the water. it was a sandy based dirt so it still had holes open up as the night went on.

Try and talk to the "Rocket Man" Mark Richards. When he promoted at I-79 Speedway in Shinnston (Clarksburg) West Virginia, they packed the track in reverse and DID NOT let the racers do it. The track was ready to race once the first car tipped over the apron. From what I remember, it held the surface pretty well, but I was pretty young to notice that too much when I got to visit there.

Quote Originally Posted by anthonycacace View Post
    Try and talk to the "Rocket Man" Mark Richards. When he promoted at I-79 Speedway in Shinnston (Clarksburg) West Virginia, they packed the track in reverse and DID NOT let the racers do it. The track was ready to race once the first car tipped over the apron. From what I remember, it held the surface pretty well, but I was pretty young to notice that too much when I got to visit there.
    I imagine the promoter was very willing and able to get the track packed beforehand so that the racers really appreciated it.

Ours are packed in the direction of racing. Used to do it the other way but must not have made much of a difference.