Thread: trucks on dirt

Default trucks on dirt

Ray dunlap reported the nascar truck series will be racing at eldora next season he claims it's a done deal and willbe annouced by this weekend. I'm just not sure anyone really wants to see this maybe the cup cars but most of the drivers in the trucks can't keep them straight on pavement.

will they run the friday before the dream just to boost ratings for the truck event.

You think the Dream will somehow boost ratings for the truck race at Eldora?

Hmmmmmm.

Actually, I think a dirt race at Eldora would be a standing room only sellout. You'll have the dirt freaks (of which I am one) and you'll have the NASCAR types then you'll have the ones there for the train wreck. Sold out, no doubt. The key is what they allow them to do to the trucks so it doesn't kill the smaller teams. They probably will look toward the ARCA series for pointers.

Duane

Slinger, I think you're right. I'd bet that several of the big buck truck owners and crew chiefs have already contacted some of the more successful ARCA dirt guys to line up some information regarding running good on the dirt tracks.

If anything from ARCA dirt remotely computes to the trucks on dirt, which I would guess it would, then Frank Kimmel, and guys with his kind of experience and success on dirt in a full sized stock car would be invaluable.

We might be surprised how quickly many of the truck guys will adapt to the dirt. I remember Parker Kligerman came bouncin' into Springfield with an ARCA car in '09 and ran the Dirt Mile having never seen a dirt track, let alone race on one. PK qualified on the front row and won the Crowe Memorial fairly handily. Then, backed it up 2 weeks later at Du Quoin by wrecking his primary car in qualifying, then they brought out the backup car, took a provisional and passed ever car on the track (some 2 or 3 times) to win the Southern Illinois 100.

Brad Keselowski's Dad Bob did essentially the same thing on ARCA dirt his first time at Springfield way back in 1986.

There will be some of the truck guys that will struggle on the dirt. We've seen it in ARCA on the dirt at Springfield & Du Quoin. One example is Davey Allison who seriously used up a couple of his Dad Bobby's Cup cars back in the mid 80's at both Springfield & Du Quoin. The best Davey ever finished on dirt in an ARCA car in 4 try's was 18th at Springfield.

I would also agree with Slinger that this truck race at Eldora will surely sell out and garner some really high television ratings, too.
    Last edited by CIRF; 11-29-2012 at 12:53 PM.

how would you guys run the race? i can't see 100+ laps. they could run like 2-3 50 lap races reworking the track in between each session. they could run 2-3 qualifying laps to get a start position in each race. that way they wouldn't need pit stops. just curious about how you would run it.

Lok, I think the track would hold up for 100 laps. Springfield and Du Quoin hold up for 100 miles (laps) just fine for the ARCA guys.

I'd say run 100 laps, rework the track and run 'em another 100. How pit stops will figure in is another question.

It'll be interesting to see how they configure the race format.

when the truck series first started they ran 50 or so laps and everyone pitted and lined up as they were running and started the second have of the race it sucked and was part of the reason the series got off to a slow start but for a dirt race with a track that has no way(as of today)to have fare green flag pitting it may be the only way. I've worked with an arca team at springfield and the tires are the biggest they they change. they pit under green but that track has an infield road that works pretty well for a pit lane.

I think your right mod6, there isn't a way to do pit stops, run the darn thing the same way you run the Dream and Kings Royal If they get a flat stop on the track and get it changed and stop them at half way for fuel and adjustments. Seems simple. Rework the track? Maybe but with 10 or 15 minutes what are they going to accomplish, unless they have huge ruts to deal with.

Eldora is on the truck schedule for 7-24-13(Wednesday). I still wandering about a Wednesday race?

Default dkbaker

I wonder if they will televise it like the prelude. Being on Wednsday I just cant make a 4 1/2 hour drive watch the race and make it to work the next day.

I'm gonna' go out on a limb here and say every 2013 NASCAR truck race will be televised live on a cable network whether it's contested on dirt, asphalt, oval or road coarse.

This isn't dirt late models driven by a bunch of guys and gals that are doing it for charity and chits and giggles. It's a points paying NASCAR national touring series of the third level.

a video was posted on youtube of stewart testing an rcr truck lokks like the high side is the only place to be in one of those trucks.

Looks like you alls gittin excited bout them trucks.s

Wait till I show up with a dually.

Default Eldora Truck Test

Quote Originally Posted by Clayton_Wetter View Post

Good lookin truck. Believe it or don't, I saw a simalar rig today coming down the coast only it was done in Maroon. Trick fenders and all even on the stainless trailer. Very kool lookin!! If I was a little better with my phone I'd have taken a pic.