Default What spindles to use with a metric...

I am building a street stock to run asphalt and dirt with, my two home tracks will be Auburndale Speedway for asphalt and Eastbay Raceway Park for dirt with the occasional forray to Bubba's in Ocala...

What stock or stock appearing lowering spindle would be best on a metric car? Ive heard everything from stock metric, lowered metric, stock Impala (also known as GM #2), lowered Impala (lowered Impala spindles are $450 a set sadly), stock 70's Camaro, lowered 70's Camaro, C10 truck spindles to lowered C10 truck spindles.

We have to have all stock pick-up points on the suspension but we plan on using 1/2 inch shorter than stock fabricated upper control arm on the right front and 1/2 inch longer than stock upper control arm on the left side with bolt in GM style ball joints or Chrysler screw-ins if necessary.

The lower ball joints will probably be 1/2 inch taller than stock (or whatever would be better) weld-ins with the stock Metric lower control arms with Afco steel bushings in them.

The steering box will be a 2.5 turn stock quick ratio unit...

No jack bolts or adjustable buckets in the front though it states we can run any spring bucket that we want, adjustable buckets are allowed in the rear though.

We are trying to get the car as close to the minimum 4 inch ride height as allowed. I refuse to spend 450 bucks on a set of Impala lowering spindles from Belltech cause I know they will get bent eventually...
    Tracks visited...

New Smyrna Speedway
    Citrus County Speedway
    Auburndale Speedway
    Eastbay Raceway Park
    Orlando Speedworld
    Bubba Raceway Park
    Punta Gorda Speedway
    Volusia County Speedway

The norm on asphalt and alot of dirt metrics is to run the taller big body(Impala and so on) spindles. Now asphalt needs much more brakes than dirt. My car(asphalt) runs the cop car spindles with 12" rotors and 5x5 bolt pattern. Very hard to find unless you know where to look. Big Caddys and Buick/Olds/Pont wagons had them too and easy to find in a junk yard. If you are very sure you dont need the bigger brakes you can just get them from any big chassis.

I am using pinto spindles on my new mod and my old one(which was metric) ran the stock metric spindles. The old car ran the longer ball joints that make it the height of the big car spindles. The taller height will help your angles. The metric spindles are lighter but bent easy. So its really just a preference. Oh I forgot to mention that the big car spindles makes the front end wider! You may want that or you can adjust with wheel backspacing or even a spacer on the rear.

As far as drop spindles...I know some are using them. I prefer NOT to. I feel that if you have a ride height to deal with you will have to jack it back up to set. That kills the angles you run the taller spindles or ball joints to fix. I worked on a metric Limited late model chassis this year on asphalt that was doing just that. Had to take off the dropps and put stock back on to get it right. His car was so much better thru. If only he had ran the right gear he may have had a chance at the 5k! lol

Thank you for the advice, it is greatly appreciated and will be used extensively...

Would mid 70s Camaro spindles work since they are supposedly taller than a set of metric spindles???
    Last edited by LOGANSTANFORTH; 11-26-2012 at 10:31 AM.
    Tracks visited...

New Smyrna Speedway
    Citrus County Speedway
    Auburndale Speedway
    Eastbay Raceway Park
    Orlando Speedworld
    Bubba Raceway Park
    Punta Gorda Speedway
    Volusia County Speedway

jus put the camaroe ones on there if you gottem,they will work,and run a ream 3/16ths deeper in both ball joint holes on the right one.