Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: E85? Pros/Cons

Default E85? Pros/Cons

I run a 4412 on a 383 in a dirt street stock, i know of a few guys that are running the E85 fuel, just wondering what you guys think about this fuel and running it in a race motor, i like the idea of E85 being about half the price of race fuel, and ive heard you can gain around 25hp and that it runs cooler. I also heard of a few guys burning down their motors because of this fuel. Just wondering what everyone elses take was on this issue, and what others had heard pro/con wise.

we have ran it for 2 years with no problems. just talk with your engine builder about your motor specs and buy a good e-85 carb from a good builder that can set it up for your motor and you will be fine.

Definitely run a true E-85 built carb! Cost of E-85 is soon to rise due to tax breaks ending for manufacturers. Only real problems I have heard are from guys trying to run modded gas carbs and from fuel that wasn't blended right. Purchase from someplace thats trustworthy.

Default Check the SG

One thing you have to be aware of if you're buying the E85 from the local gas station is that the fuel you buy will not be exactly 85% ethanol. EPA, DOT and I think a couple other alphabet agencies granted the fuel providers leeway in the ethanol to gasoline ratio over the seasons and the availability of the base ethanol. If I remember correctly in the summertime the percentage could be down to 75% ethanol. To know for sure you'll need to check the specific gravity of each batch of fuel you buy. I would suggest that the racer should buy the E85 in large batches (maybe a months worth at a time) to reduce the number of times the SG needs to be checked.

Actually it drops in the colder months in some places. Not all. You can test the fuel with a $15 tester that checks the ethanol percentage, not the sg. It's very simple to check and the fuel works well.

I know a lot of 1000 hp+ drag racers than run e85 and love it.. Everything from nitrous big blocks to twin turbo small blocks.
    If you burned up a motor on it you didn't know what you were doing and it's your fault the the fuel..

IMO the key things are to get a GOOD carb, not a conversion kit project or generic E-85 shelf carb, a good pump, and test the fuel. If it's set up right and you check your fuel you'll be just fine. The people I've seen have problems were trying to cut corners to "save money". Good stuff and diligence doesn't cost that much more, an engine does.

Even though E-85 is cheaper, it burns off twice as fast than normal racing fuel. So, whatever money you save in price per gallon will be lost in gallons you will have to buy from what is being burnt. If your track allows it, I would try switching to an oxygenated race fuel, like VP CHP. Usually you will have to tune your carb richer, but you burn the same amount of fuel, but gain a lot of HP and Torque. I know that if you send your 4412 to Willy's and say that you are going to be burning an oxygenated fuel, they will tune and dyno your carb for you.
    #72W U.M.P Stock Car

Respectfully that's not right either. Methanol will use twice as much. E-85 which is 85% ETHANOL does not. Two different fuels. Look at bsfc numbers to see the difference. I think that the amount of misinformation contributes to the "problems" people have with using it. If your stuff is right, it works and costs less.
    Last edited by 50j; 11-25-2012 at 03:10 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by 50j View Post
    Respectfully that's not right either. Methanol will use twice as much. E-85 which is 85% ETHANOL does not. Two different fuels. Look at bsfc numbers to see the difference. I think that the amount of misinformation contributes to the "problems" people have with using it. If your stuff is right, it works and costs less.
    I have to agree there, I hear at most 25% more use and that is most likely high. The most fuel (gas) I have run through on a 50 lap race was 11 gal. had tons of caution laps we most likely ran 75+ total.
    »»*†HÀ†§ HÓ††™««

Is E-85 legal for UMP stock car?

I dont see why not, its pump gas

Quote Originally Posted by 475_enduro View Post
    I dont see why not, its pump gas
    its alcohol.

Quote Originally Posted by stockcar5 View Post
    its alcohol.
    thanks for that tid bit of info, but it is still PUMP GAS!! ive been running it for 3 yrs

Default puauvr moncler jackets vqs5

GpxpCFZS ugg boots outlet
    kivsDKGoq http://www.menafn.com/menafn/canadagoose.asp
    vppaupsmjl ugg boots clearance
    VEVxUaptu qacndm cheap canada goose
    XiqFTTAHmul HvhgIDRK cheap canada goose
    knliAEKyz PxgzRFZU http://www.menafn.com/menafn/moncler.asp
    dzyyNOShs

UMP rules state;

E.) Only gasoline will be permitted. Methanol and/or any other type of fuel and/or any type of fuel additive will not be permitted.

This says to me that if you've been running E-85, you are not legal.

That being said, I would like to switch to E-85, and would like the rules clarified to make it legal. I think it only makes sense and would be a good PR statement from UMP here in the middle of corn country to make it legal.

Quote Originally Posted by powerball View Post
    thanks for that tid bit of info, but it is still PUMP GAS!! ive been running it for 3 yrs
    no its not..lol.

see above post. doesnt take a genius..

I think most tracks need to do a better job of addressing allowed fuels... IMCA late model and some other divisions state NO E85... pretty black and white. when the rules say only pump gas or gasoline that kindof leaves it somewhat unclear. Racers love to work in this gray area of the rules.... Its hard to find gas without 10% ethanol which looks to soon be 15% ethanol. if its ok to run e10 or e15 or even e25 whats the cut off limit of ethanol in the gas? Or you say only racing fuel and stick it to the racers requiring them to buy only high priced fuel.

Its a great option for racers, Ive used it for over 7 years never had any issues... EVER. most all info posted here is right on.. Buy a good carb... thats the main thing. The statement that it burns twice as fast as gas is FALSE! Its actually very close it burns faster but not much and you WILL save money over Race gas.. Every racer needs to save money this is a great way to do so. I wish IMCA and other sanctions would open there eyes and allow ethanol like indy and nascar have done. American fuel made by Americans!

Quote Originally Posted by 35racing View Post
    I think most tracks need to do a better job of addressing allowed fuels... IMCA late model and some other divisions state NO E85... pretty black and white. when the rules say only pump gas or gasoline that kindof leaves it somewhat unclear. Racers love to work in this gray area of the rules.... Its hard to find gas without 10% ethanol which looks to soon be 15% ethanol. if its ok to run e10 or e15 or even e25 whats the cut off limit of ethanol in the gas? Or you say only racing fuel and stick it to the racers requiring them to buy only high priced fuel.

Its a great option for racers, Ive used it for over 7 years never had any issues... EVER. most all info posted here is right on.. Buy a good carb... thats the main thing. The statement that it burns twice as fast as gas is FALSE! Its actually very close it burns faster but not much and you WILL save money over Race gas.. Every racer needs to save money this is a great way to do so. I wish IMCA and other sanctions would open there eyes and allow ethanol like indy and nascar have done. American fuel made by Americans!
    wow couldnt of said it any better agree 100 %.

Quote Originally Posted by stockcar5 View Post
    no its not..lol.

see above post. doesnt take a genius..
    yes it is! so your telling me i cant go an buy e85 out of the pump from a gas station! ya right an i guarantee you guys that dont think its fair also dont read between the GRAY areas in the rules either huh! lmao