Default tire psi for dirt tires

What would be a good starting point on air psi for an american racer or hoosier race tire? Track changed rules can run race tires now

Need a lot more info. Race Wheel? Size of Wheel? Beadlocks? FWD or RWD? Banking? Size of Track? Dry Slick or Tacky? And any other info would be a help. With what you gave us You could be anywhere between 4 to 35 psi.

More info? Are the race tires treaded or 'slick'? And if you don't have one, get a pyrometer so you can measure tire temps. Temp to low mid-tire, compared to the inside/outside of the tire? Increase the pressure. Just opposite if the temp is high. Then adjust around the baseline for 'tacky' or 'slick'. Although......... I freely admit, having always raced pavement, I'm the duty-dummy on racing dirt. But I do use dirt in my veggie garden! lol! -84Dave-

It on dirt 13x8 pretty much open on tires. Always ran street tires with about 12lf 17lr 21rf 15rr . Have never ran dirt tires dont realiy know what to look for

Will have beadlocks on right side it 1/4 mmed bank stay little tacky

Is the car FWD or RWD? What spring weight on each corner? What shocks? Total Weight of car?

Rwd stang abt 2400lbs 600-700 lbs frt 175-225 rear . Stock still shocks and struts

If your rules allow it try to go with 15 x8 wheels you will like them a lot better and you can buy used tires off of the Modified and Super Stock guys cheap. What we run is soft or med compound.

LF 84" @ 9psi RF 84" @ 18psi

LR 82" @ 9psi RR 86" @ 14psi

This will be a good starting piont and you can adjust accordingly. you also may want to try RF 800lbs LF 600lbs and maybe go softer in the rear. RR 100-125lbs LR 125-150lbs
    Remember this is just a starting point depending on your driving style and how the car works will determin what your final setup is

If I had a question I always called the manufacturer and they are helpful. We run 13x10 i run between 7-10 on the Lefts and no less the 13 on the rights with no bead locks. Personally I monitor deflection. See how far your rolling the tire because one that deflection to the sidewall your not using the tread to displace mud and dirt anyways and then you know your risking it damaging the tire or if its not a beadlock coming off. Some 8-10 inch tires are the same just stretched over on the wider rim.

hey 7up didnt u run clr some? and ran alot at dixieland...sorry off topic name just looked familar

i agree with wrencherer, run 15s if you can. a little heaver but better bite. if the track you run on gets rough the 15s will work better. i've ran them on my 2000lb mod, 2700lb truck, 2200lb pinto and am setting up my 2400lb mustang to run them. wheels are about same price and we use mod takeoffs or my favorite, sprint car front tires. get a lot of them for free. i run tubes and can go down to 10psi on my mod r/rear on smooth or wet tracks. sprint guys won't run them if they get a leak so most are like new.

olin

Olin my man where can i get some sprint car front tires around here for free?

Quote Originally Posted by camarofever View Post
    Olin my man where can i get some sprint car front tires around here for free?
    ryan, get to know the guys that run sprints. i have 4 or 5 good friends that run sprints and thats where i get my tires. even if you have to pay 10-15 bucks for a tire it is still a good deal compared to a dirt bozz. just remember you can burn off a right side tire in one main on a dry slick track in a truck.

olin

true, but technically the sprint tires arnt DOT stamped so not legal at orland. I just want a few tires for back ups. But looks like i must start making friends. hahaha

true, but technically the sprint tires arnt DOT stamped so not legal at orland. I just want a few tires for back ups. But looks like i must start making friends. hahaha
    i think both the 97 and 69 are running non dot tires. i don't think they will enforce that rule until they get a lot more trucks. been think about getting me another truck to have some fun out there when i'm not running my pinto.

olin

I met a guy last saturday from anderson whos trying to sell his courier, i guess it came from antioch back in the day. I think its pretty much turn key and for a good price, he just posted it on sprintcarfan. But yea I know for a fact webster and ross are using the non DOT sprint tires. Someone also told me those sprint tires dont hold up as well as the dirt bozzes.

Yes ShotGun I run Late Model and Moonlight in the old Mod 4 from time to time and stuck running Asphalt most the time I'll be Moonlighting the Mod 4 at Clarys this weekend

I met a guy last saturday from anderson whos trying to sell his courier, i guess it came from antioch back in the day. I think its pretty much turn key and for a good price, he just posted it on sprintcarfan. But yea I know for a fact webster and ross are using the non DOT sprint tires. Someone also told me those sprint tires dont hold up as well as the dirt bozzes.
    papa is a good guy and will make a deal on his courier. i'm more interested in a toyota since i have 2 engines here. if the track is moist or hooked up the sprint tires will hold up and are faster then the dirt bozzes. if it goes dry slick then you have to watch them.

olin

I ran a 2300lb mustang on a high banked track with no beadlock and wouldn't keep the hoosiers on the bead below 19 psi in the rr.Typical psiWas 15 left front left rear.19 right front and between 19 and 21 right rear.Below 19 I could feel the car rolling the tire over I don't Like the feeling and you know it will take the tire off the bead if you keep doing it. I heard you should watch the sidewall there will be a mudstain should make it 1/3 the way into the circumfrence of the sidwall.... Or just about the top of the hoosier lettering. When that's what you see your psi is right. On the rr.