Default Mechanical alcohol fuel pump

What is the most reliable fuel pump for a 630 hp mod motor? I want it to be a block mount pump. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

If you must use a mechanical pump use one of the race pumps. You will have to have the race pumps regulator/bypass though. For what you will spend on the Race Pump and matching regulator you could buy a used belt drive.

Default pump

I have been using a holley part number 12-327-20 for years. ran it on gas, and alky.
    I use a kisler fuel bypass pill for sprint cars (looks like an air hose connector).
    I think there should be lifeguards in the genepool.

Is there a reason you want to stay block mount? I switched to a belt drive last year from a block mount and it was the best thing I ever did. Much more manageable.
    My sarcasm is a pre-emptive strike to your stupidity!!

Default Mechanical alcohol fuel pump

Cost is 1 reason. And i'm not crazy about running a mandrel with a long crankshaft bolt.Another reason is that i dont trust that the belt wont come off or get knocked off by dirt of flying debrie. Are there idleing issues with block mount pumps?

I guess I don't see the issue with running a belt drive pump. Thousands of people do it without any problems.
    Curious that we spend more time congratulating people who have succeeded than encouraging people who have not.

Yes. That was one of the problems I was having. Other thing was not having enough volume at high rpm on hammer down tracks. I found the block mount pump could not keep up.
    My sarcasm is a pre-emptive strike to your stupidity!!

Thumbs down

Quote Originally Posted by tbone84 View Post
    Cost is 1 reason. And i'm not crazy about running a mandrel with a long crankshaft bolt.Another reason is that i dont trust that the belt wont come off or get knocked off by dirt of flying debrie. Are there idleing issues with block mount pumps?
    I switched to a serpentine pulley set up and that brought the kse pulley much clocer to the crank now the bolt is 3 1/2 inches long instead of 6'' long. the wider belts used by kse stay on better than the narrow belts used by some other brands. we built a screen under the front to protect the belt in the lm we did the same thing to protect the rack and pinion.

Quote Originally Posted by usafracer View Post
    Yes. That was one of the problems I was having. Other thing was not having enough volume at high rpm on hammer down tracks. I found the block mount pump could not keep up.
    I ran and won 4 races at eldora, with hooked up tracks were you do not lift, to slick.
    I won the Indy Mile, and 2nd at the springfield mile.
    If you do not have problems with a mechanical block mount pump at those places, then I would guess you would never have a problem with them. I would venture to say that you were not running the right pump, or you had other issues. you need volume, not pressure.
    different strokes for different folks I guess, that is why mfg. make both style pumps.
    Last edited by JustAddDirt; 11-29-2012 at 09:07 AM.
    I think there should be lifeguards in the genepool.

Default alcohol pump

I ran and won 4 races at eldora, with hooked up tracks were you do not lift, to slick.
    I won the Indy Mile, and 2nd at the springfield mile.
    If you do not have problems with a mechanical block mount pump at those places, then I would guess you would never have a problem with them. I would venture to say that you were not running the right pump, or you had other issues. you need volume, not pressure.
    different strokes for different folks I guess, that is why mfg. make both style pumps.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I actually run this same pump on my late model on gas at 750 hp,never had any problems with it in 4 years. I cant find anything anywhere that says if its compatible with alcohol. If this pump will work with alcohol i will definetly run it. Thanks for your input.
    Last edited by tbone84; 11-29-2012 at 09:52 AM.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I actually run this same pump on my late model on gas at 750 hp,never had any problems with it in 4 years. I cant find anything anywhere that says if its compatible with alcohol. If this pump will work with alcohol i will definetly run it. Thanks for your input.

You will still need a bypass/regulator

I had the best luck with a pro-cam 15lb fuel pump for alky. I now run kse tandem pump and would never go back to a mechinal pump. But that's just me.

Ditto on the Pro-Cam pump. Four years no problems.

Default Fuel pump

I just got off the phone with Holley. The fuel pump pt# 12-327-20 and the fuel regulator pt# 12-704 are both alcohol compatible. The fuel pump is rated for 170 gph,this is way more flow than alot of belt drive systems that i have looked at. Thanks for everyones help and input.

I just got off the phone with Holley. The fuel pump pt# 12-327-20 and the fuel regulator pt# 12-704 are both alcohol compatible. The fuel pump is rated for 170 gph,this is way more flow than alot of belt drive systems that i have looked at. Thanks for everyones help and input.
    That may be the right pump but wrong reg, do not use a regulator. Use a bypass Holley #510-12-803BP

If you want to keep your costs down, do like i did and go to any hardware store and buy a 1/2 in brass ball valve. Build a linkage to go from ball valve handle to carb. I used all thread with a small heim, that way you can adjust for the amount of bypass you need. Works for me. JMO

Default Race Pumps!

I have ran my same racepump on alchy and gas just adjust the regulator, you do have to run the racepumps reg though. it cost a whopping $15.00 to rebuild if it ever needs it but there bulletproof. You wont find a nicer guy than Howard Stewert that owns it also. he used to own stewert water pumps. He didnt know me from moses the first time i meet him and he offered to meet me somewhere and get my pump cause I was goin have it updated to the new style. All American made to in Hi point N.C.