Thread: 8 Plug 2.3

Default 8 Plug 2.3

Hello all i recently got a 2.3 that has 8 plugs 4 on the left side and 4 on the right side I removed the 4 on the left side of the head and plugged it off. also Im gonna use the coil pack on this motor just for the right side Im also wondering what all we can do to this engine as far as intake-carborator wise. will a regular 2.3 intake with carb work on this engine, THANKS IN ADVANCE

You will have to adapt the intake that came with this engine.The ports are shaped and placed differently.The procedure is the same as with the other intakes ,make an adaptor that will bolt your carb to this intake.There may be aftermarket adaptors on the market already,someone on this forum will know.Preformance improvements will be the same ,such as milling,porting,OS valves,springs,cams.

My brief experience with the 8-plug head? The intake ports have a 'kink' in them that doesn't flow worth a darn for a race engine, unless that portion of the ports are highly modified. -84Dave-

Well i own a machine shop so that wont be a problem. We dont have a rule book other than No turbos no superchargers and no nitrous. as far as the engine goes. Also I was hopeing to find a addaptor that would work on this engine instead of making one. We Was also Wondering on this engine If we just used the coil pack if that would work for ignition or would we have to buy something elese for it to run off of?

Do some searching through the past posts.Someone explaned how they adapted the Hal crank trigger to work without the computer.There are aftermarket crank trigger systems you can buy but they are VERY expensive.

We was building this car for our son on a budget really dont wanna spend that much since its his beginner car and Dont know how long he is gonna stick with it.Do you have any idea where about that post may be at?And also We found something out about this engine we wasnt aware of. they Came out stock with a Roller head. Woohoo Hp lol. Also was wondering since a stock 2.3 schoenfeild header would work on this engine why wouldnt a regular 2.3 intake? seems to match up all the same bolt holes. thank you so much for all your help.

If you are just starting out and don't have a lot of money to spend.Don't try and reinvent the wheel.You can buy a fully assembled ready to race distributor type 2.3 engine for under $1000.Probably $400 - 500 if you shop around.Trying to run something that almost no one else runs is just asking for trouble.Start with something that is proven to work,if later on you want to tackle a crank fire setup,go for it.With a rookie driver you will probably spend a lot of time repairing crash damage the first year.

Milford is correct. You are biting off a big chunk and will spend more for it than just using what is out there that works. as a new racer, It is nice to see you thinking out of the box, but you are waaaaaay outof the box on this one. I have been racing these ford motors for years and I would not tackle what you are thinking. It is not worth it and certainly not cost effective..
    dr6 motorsports

I race mod mini myself so by no means am i just starting out i know quiet a bit about the engine stuff. this engine didnt cost me a dime we got it gave to us out of a freinds truck. The engine was running when was pulled out of the truck. i think we are going to addapt the svo intake and just do some drilling like we seen in another post. Thanks for all your help Main thing we are looking into right now on this hole project is Into the wireing and how to get the engine to start. We have never done anything like this engine other than my mod mini but it has a distribtor.
    Last edited by Fullthrottlex02; 12-07-2012 at 10:24 PM.

ive never heard of anyone running a 8 plug head before thats crazy let me know how it turns out for you

Default Crazy

We have used 8 plug Ford SOHC heads and distributorless blocks racing dirt and asphalt for years.Oh,and it works fine indeed.

Thank you racedad. Can you send me a pm need some advise on this motor thanks so much in advance