Default best intake question for 4412

They changed to intake rules at our track. We used to could only run stock cast iron intake. I have been running the hi rise 2bbl intake that came on propane trucks and school buses. It was very hard to find. Now they have added that we can run aluminum edelbrock 2701 or weiand 7547. Am I better off with what I have with 4412 and one inch spacer or one of these aluminum intakes?

Without putting your heads on the flow bench with all 3 intakes it would just be SWAG, but it is hard to beat those economy Edelbrocks on stock heads. Depending on your RPM level, that would be a factor in which Aluminum intake to roll with.

I have about 4 weeks of Flowbench work to get caught up on over Christmas. I usually quote by the Job and if someone wants their stuff done right away it is $75hr. I have about 100 different fixture tools so it would not cost anything extra to make any parts to run your stuff.

If you can't find someone local to do your flow bench work, I can try and help you out. I have both aluminum manifolds on hand, I would need your head and intake to get a baseline. If you want your actual alum manifold flowed you can ship one.

The most important aspect of changing manifolds is to get your camshaft designed to match the flow curve of you intake system, whichever one you go with. There is an easy 20-30HP in getting those parts matched properly.

the edelblock is the better intake...
    white trash motorsports

Justramit,
    There you have it from some of this forums most accomplished racers and engine builders.

If you want a good driving street engine run the Edelbrock with small divided plenum and great idle and torque at 1500 rpms and power shut down above 6500rpms. It makes peak torque around 3500-3700 and is only about 5hp better than a 2101 which has been around forever.

Just so you know the Weiand is an open plenum manifold, it has a larger plenum volume and more "gulp" as tested on some of the most advanced air modeling programs out there ( CFD ). This manifold makes peak torque almost 1000 rpms higher and significant gains above 5500 if you use the right cam and carb set-up. Using this manifold with the appropriate cam should easily net you + 40HP at 7000rpms over the best combination with the other manifold.

I have done this deal with 4 engine builders this year and they would never tell their results and neither would I. All I can tell you is there is a big difference between the 2 manifolds on the race track if you know how to utilize it.

If you use a lazy small cam with the Weiand you are pi$$ing in the wind, you need to use a race camshaft capable of making the HP number you are looking to make, not what everybody else is using from Speedway or Comp.

ill add another vote for the edelbrock. after dyno testing both intakes with a race cam speced out by me and ground by one of my cam buddies in NC, the edelbrock wins hands down. my 360 10.5 to 1 motor with the edelbrock doesnt start to lose any serious power until after 7000rpm..pulls hard on the track all the way up to the chip rule (7400). the weiand is one of the oldest most basic p.o.s intakes ever built.

we should add up how many feature wins guys on this board have with this "inferior" edelbrock intake..

The edlebrock 2701 works well on 350 smog motor /daily driver .
    The wieand 7547 works well on a 350 with all the smog stuff removed.& provides better fuel delivery to all cylinders,the venturies are placed directly over the ports.
    And that reason alone is why I choose the 7547 .. On this application.
    If you want to drive around town choose the 2701..
    If you want to race use the 7547.
    As far as drive'ability you wouldn't notice if you had one or the other.
    & stock car five.... As much as you would like to talk like dynoman..
    I doubt you could cut or design any camshaft to fit your needs.
    Your just another loose lip'd groupie who thinks he is cool. Cause he bash's on dynoman14,

Quote Originally Posted by stock car driver View Post
    Did you google for pics and advertised rpm ranges of these two intakes?

I get free flow bench, free cam dr, free dyno time. Im not guessing about anything I post.
    Stockcar, look at his rep...... Remind you of someone else?????? I believe one of his alias has popped up.

I havent dyno-ed between the 2. Have raced with one and switched out to the other. The motor just would not run with the wieand. Like it had something holding it back. Very wrong for the setup. We(Old man King in Bedford) thought there was something wrong with the cam or worse. Not saying wieand is that bad but it missed our combo by a long shot. The Edelbrock brought it to life. Only thing that was changed. Learned a lot since then.

stockcardriver
    ive ben around for along time.
    ive forgot more about manifolds than youve ever dreamed off.
    i didnt need to search ive got a few of them on haul trucks.
    and there just as good as a stock one.the 2701.
    i didnt get nothing for free ,i earned it!

an easy fix for the wieand is to raise the floor sum,
    its too flat.
    this intake stumbles a little more low rpm than the edlebrock,
    taking away sum driveabilty.

Angry

Pieman/dynoman...whatever your name is. Your right you have forgot more about intakes LIKE MAYBE EVERYTHING ABOUT INTAKES! Your alias is obvious. You both make the same claims. I went and checked the PN on the Weiand I had. Same one. Stock car is right...the ports are tiny. Raising the floor, besides being against the rules, would bring the low end stumble out yes but he isnt drag racing with a stock converter! It shouldn't stumble any where in a real race car except a very slow restart.

I wondered why many on here are so rude at times. And here I am being the same way. I'm sorry Justramit. I may just be a small time guy from southern Indiana but I feel there is no reason for you to get sour advice when I'm sure your closer to my budget for racing. We can't afford to waste time and money for nothing.

Default Intakes

I've been building SB Chevy engines for 30 years and eather intake is an upgrade compared to the one you have been using. I've had good results using the Edelbrock in every case... have experemented with the Weiand and it doesn't seem as responsive as the Edelbrock. The diff being that the 2701 is dual plane intake and generates a higher port velosity sooner than the 7547 that is a single plane and takes a little longer to generate the same velosity. The Weiand will flow a bit better on the top end at a higher RPM and if you choose the right carb spacer you can even out the diff. What is your RPM range from green flag to peak RPM? And what do your rules limit you to on your spacer/adaptor? And is your track a flat stop and go type or a banked momentum type? For a flat stop and go run the Edelbrock, on a banked momentum track the Weiand could be the choice. In eather case I would use a 1.5in thick HVH Super Sucker spacer if your rules will allow it. Hope this is some help to you! Feel free to contact me if you need a hand or have any questions.
    Robert Steen
    R.A.T.S. Racing Engines
    rats_racing@yahoo.com
    facebook- Robert Steen in Salem Va

Thanks for your time guys. I haven't been on for a while, figured more info might make it better. Car is 3200# street stock. My motor is .060 over 350 with 4 valve relief flat tops. CR about 10.8 :1 with eq 64cc heads. I can run set with 180 or 220cc intake runners. 5.7 rods. We can run any spacer but no thicker than 1". My camshaft I have been running is from Charlie at Camcraft and is :

adv dur 268/268
    dur @ 50 244/244
    lift 500/500
    110 ( we have vaccum rule 15" @ 1000 rpm) this one pulled about 16 @ 1000

They also changed the rules to where we don't have to go by vacuum rule if we have a cam with no more than 480 lift. So I don't know if I could do better there. I have never really paid attention to rpm on starts but I know on the bigger track we run, rpm at end of straights is probably 7000 - 7200. We run a 1/3 mile momentum track, and also a 1/4 mile track that is more stop and go. I am thinking from what you guys said. the 2701 would probably work for me. Would I notice that much difference in the 2701 and the hi rise 2bbl cast intake I am running now? I know there is a weight difference, but will it really run that much better? Remember this is the hi rise 2 bbl that is VERY hard to find and illegal at some tracks, not just plain 2bbl. Thanks.

Justin
    Last edited by justramit; 01-04-2013 at 09:09 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by justramit View Post
    Thanks for your time guys. I haven't been on for a while, figured more info might make it better. Car is 3200# street stock. My motor is .060 over 350 with 4 valve relief flat tops. CR about 10.8 :1 with eq 64cc heads. I can run set with 180 or 220cc intake runners. 5.7 rods. We can run any spacer but no thicker than 1". My camshaft I have been running is from Charlie at Camcraft and is :

adv dur 268/268
    dur @ 50 244/244
    lift 500/500
    110 ( we have vaccum rule 15" @ 1000 rpm) this one pulled about 16 @ 1000

They also changed the rules to where we don't have to go by vacuum rule if we have a cam with no more than 480 lift. So I don't know if I could do better there. I have never really paid attention to rpm on starts but I know on the bigger track we run, rpm at end of straights is probably 7000 - 7200. We run a 1/3 mile momentum track, and also a 1/4 mile track that is more stop and go. I am thinking from what you guys said. the 2701 would probably work for me. Would I notice that much difference in the 2701 and the hi rise 2bbl cast intake I am running now? I know there is a weight difference, but will it really run that much better? Remember this is the hi rise 2 bbl that is VERY hard to find and illegal at some tracks, not just plain 2bbl. Thanks.

Justin
    you cam is looking good. must be the xtlz lobe? those have worked well for me. the 2701 will be the better choice. thats whats been best for us on the dyno and on the track.

StockCar Driver,
    Since you get free flow bench time what does the Edelbrock intake flow as well as the Weiand and what Pressure drop are you testing at?

Does your free testing mount the intake to the heads you are using to flow with?

I feel like you will probably be best off with the Edelbrock 2701 intake. The spacer I spoke of in my previous thread is a 1'' spacer not 1.5'' as I had stated. The part number is HVH SS4412-2AL this is an excellent spacer and it works very well with the 2701 intake. Roush lists these spacers for around $95.00 but if you check around I think you can get it cheaper. I sell them for $80.00 here at the shop. I run this intake and spacer on my wifes Street Stock and it works awesome.