Thread: motor set back

Default motor set back

i have a metric street stock by my rules around here i can move my motor back an 1 inch,my question is it worth the work?

No...you only gain around 0.5% in rear percentage. I have a IMCA car I race against UMP cars and I do not have the set back...I have no problem running up front or winning! Not worth the time, effort or money!

Put a 30 lb lead next to your fuel cell. Same effect.
    If you love it , run the lead and leave the motor alone. If not, pull the lead and don't touch the motor.

Quote Originally Posted by DaveBauerSS6 View Post
    Put a 30 lb lead next to your fuel cell. Same effect.
    If you love it , run the lead and leave the motor alone. If not, pull the lead and don't touch the motor.
    So moving around 600 lbs back an inch only adds around a half percent more rear??? I was gonna move my engine back this winter, but not if thats all its gonna add.

Two different cars , one 1 inch, the other almost 2 inches. Disappointing results on both. Cant explain why. Did the second one because I thought the conditions were different. Same $hit.

1 inch ant work messin with,..is your fire wall in the way??.most rules allow #1 spark plug in line with ball joint with 1 inch tolerance

i have a c***pit but plenty of room before i hit that and the rules here are #1 spark plug must line up with the ball joint

OK here is my .02, If your looking for rear %, do everything you can. 1/2 of a % by its self isnt much but if you run against a guy like me that looked at every piece on the front end for weight and went as fare as running Titanium bolts in everything, a Sweet 600 steering box that weight 5 lbs less than stock, every mount was Alum that could be, very lite front bumper, not a battering ram like most run, etc etc. Then all those places you saved an ounce, added up to pounds and ended up being more that 1/2%. My car with driver and fuel scaled at 3200 with 58% rear. We relied on the mud under the car to make weight after the race. After Mike won he would head to the infield and go for the soft mud and rev it up. People thought he was celebrating, he wasnt, he was trying to make sure he had enough mud packed under the car so it would make weight! Bottom line is this, the guys that win all the races leave nothing on the table, and if you are going to run with them, then you better not either.

Dave.

The point I was trying to make was that every little bit helps. If you have a car that cant get the rear % you are looking for, there is no magic answer. You usually have to look at everything and get the weight off where you can. You dont always have to spend a ton of money, you just have to work for every ounce. And yes a home built car can still win,and many different setups can win, I think we proved that this year.

Dave

I moved the motor in my metric back 2 inches a few years back. I was a bit dissapointed in the rear percent gain. But, like the other guys have said, every little bit helps if your serious about it. Added bonus is I can pull the starter in about 3 min without touching the headers now. That may or may not matter depending on what headers you run.

Nick

I have 50# of lead mounted on the front firewall. I put it there because the rear % was getting too high and needed more weight to be legal. My car is better on entry with it up there, guess i need to move my engine forward! lol

been working for the last two months setting the engine back in my ford chassis,imca car. then this post came up.didnt wont to beleive all the negitive resonces but they were right . scaled the car today and at the same rear percentage the car is only 63lb lighter. not a total waste the car used to come in at 3200 and imca is 2950

read your rules there jeff, it states back of fuel pump must remain in front of cross member. I have called kirk with imca on this and it is legal. the factory ford engine placement is quiet forward compared to chevy.