Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default superstock top end combo

i know i have asked alot of question on here about our cam and head selection and i thank everyone that have givin imput it has greatly helped. I have some question again i hope some of you can answer.

we have a 383 that needs to be rebuilt and we are thinking of changing the cam agian to try and make a little more power towards the end of the straights.
    motor specs
    383 all steel with gm casting
    light weight crank
    6 inch rods
    dome pistons
    220 motown worlds heads
    cam is a jr motorsports 109 cam
    performance product hurrican maniforld with a 950 cfm hp series carb, professionaly built

called crower to ask about the cam selection and they recommended the 00308 cam for this engine, i know its been said before to run this cam its a good cam. but will it help with end of straight pull

Also we have a set of darts 230 heads, if we left everything the same except for the heads and cam what would we need to look for in a camshaft to but those heads back on the motor. we also have a 7800 rpm chip rule in the class and the driver likes the 7600 rpm range.
    its going to be on gas and its close to 13.1 compression motor after i looked at all the specs. We run a imca g-60 tires and its a 3000lbs car. Track is a good size paper clip style 3/8 track, tacky in the heats and dry in the main with a decent cushion.

Thank you everyone for the help, will get cam specs up a little later

Best thing you could do would be to put a smaller carburetor on it.The 950 is way to big.

I think so to, the carb builder guarantee us that it will work just fine. So far havent had any problem witj but i do agree with you it sure seems big

When going with bigger heads on a motor whay are you looking for in a cam to help with bigger heads

Rocker ratio plays a big part in how aggressive the cam can be but the duration at.050 needs to be 256@.050 on the intake and 262@.050 on the exhaust.Ground on 106 degreed on 102.

You don't have enough lift. You have plenty of duration. You need .650 lift minimum on the intake and .620 on the exhaust.The carb might work if you don't drop down below 5000 rpms or so but a 750 or 830 would be plenty......I wouldn't change the heads. Both are about the same overall......Throw the hurricane intake in the garbage and put a real Super Vic intake on that thing.
    BUCKLE UP NOW, YA HEAR?

Quote Originally Posted by propit21 View Post
    I think so to, the carb builder guarantee us that it will work just fine. So far havent had any problem witj but i do agree with you it sure seems bigWhen going with bigger heads on a motor whay are you looking for in a cam to help with bigger heads
    All the bigger heads are going to do is RAISE the peak HP rpm and/or pk torque rpm. There is no crutching that with a cam. Some think so but all your doing is cutting back the duration and killing where the heads were made to run even more.There is no substitute for having the proper heads for the cubes/rpm range of the engine.If your going out there and dropping down to 3500 rpms in the corners and you have monster heads you're just defeating the purpose. You need a combination. Everything works together.
    Last edited by let-r-eat; 12-12-2012 at 05:20 PM.
    BUCKLE UP NOW, YA HEAR?

These will be my cam choices

@ 50" 254/262
    Lobe center 105
    1.5 rockers
    or
    @50" 252/260
    Lobe center 105
    1.6 int/1.5 exh rockers
    Or
    @50 260/266
    Lobe center 105
    1.5 rockers
    Or
    @50" 262/266
    Lobe 106
    Rockers 1.5
    Or
    @50" 259/269
    Lobe 106 installed at 102 intake centerline
    1.5 rockers

What would be the best choice for the 383 with 230 darts and what would be good for the 220 worlds

I agree with these guys.
    That track is similar to Tulare, long straights and tight enough corners to drop the rpm too much. Add you are on a chip, so no big gear, big rpm scream the motor deal. You need good torque to get out of the corner. I've always felt the Crower grinds feel better out the corners. But they never have enough lift for my liking. They work , the lift just looks funny to me. No dyno numbers to prove it.
    My IMCA Stock Car has 600 lift, and I went easy with it.
    Stay with the 220s.
    Get a 750 carb.
    Get a super victor, a one of those super suckers.
    i think the crower cam would be fine if you ran 1.65 or 1.7 rockers.
    Cut the heads down as much as you can.
    Last edited by DaveBauerSS6; 12-12-2012 at 06:07 PM.

Why are you limiting yourself to those cam choices? None of them are right.

no not really limiting to those choices, the first on i mention is a crower circle track cam off the shelf that is close to the number that you mention, the second one is the one crower on the phone said would work good for what we are trying to do, the third one is one that a friend that builds engine recommended, the fourth cam is one we got from comp cams when we first put the engine together with the dart 230 heads, and the last one is the one in the motor now which is a jr motorsport 109 cam.

We have just been getting our horsepower alot lately and want to know what we can do to make our 383 better. We know its a much better engine then it has been performing lately and the other thing we are just trying to learn as we go as well. The setup in the car is spot on it just trying to get the power out of the motor and get bad luck off our side. Am i willing to to find whatever motor setup that will work and make more horsepower and torque then we have now

thanks for all the help guys it means alot

We have never had an intake runner bigger than 210, and a carb bigger than 800 ish, but we mostly run 360's, have one 400+ that we haven't run in 1-1/2 years

Your package sure seems to be a perfect fit for a pair of large Bowtie Vortec's and a Tony Barker designed cam, but that's just me, lol....
    Last edited by hogracer3d; 12-12-2012 at 10:49 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by hogracer3d View Post
    We have never had an intake runner bigger than 210, and a carb bigger than 800 ish, but we mostly run 360's, have one 400+ that we haven't run in 1-1/2 years
    you missed your imca meeting

Yes I did, but the driver was there,
    I had a $770K bid due today, and have been sick for a week, lol

Quote Originally Posted by hogracer3d View Post
    Yes I did, but the driver was there,
    I had a $770K bid due today, and have been sick for a week, lol
    Get well,, good luck with the bid.

Quote Originally Posted by DaveBauerSS6 View Post
    Get well,, good luck with the bid.
    Thanks, but I was just an % guestimator on this one, but it still gave me the shartz in the waining hours.... Lol

Propit, we ran that 00308 Crower as per Bill Hendren's suggestion a few years ago..We ran Crower S/S 1.7/1.6 combo and ended up with .608/.586 lift combo on a set of Dart 215's that had been slightly rolled over. It would pull hard up to the 8200 chip, did not nose over...I would as Dave Bauer suggested, get a smaller carb, a Super Vic, keep the 220's on it or switch over to the Darts and run the 00308 and you will be a happy camper..IMO

sj dave-so you are saying that 00308 cam will work in a 383 with 220 worlds just fine. Do we need to run a 1.6/1.5 rocker combo or the 1.7/1.6 combo.

Perfconn- do we need to get a special grind cam with the number you recommend because i can not find those number for any off the shelf cam. If so i read on here you perfer comp cams would that be the cam maker of choice. also what else beside the carb would we need to make sure we have to make that combo work. we have 1.5 rockers on both int/ext right now.

let r eat- why is the hurrican manifold bad, ive heard ok things about them, don't mind getting a new manifold but just wondering what makes the victor jr so much better

with the combo we have now are we overflowing what our motor can do at lower rpms? If i understand correctly we are not producing any torque at lower rpm with the motor combo we have because it flows to much fuel and air and not getting rid of it fast enough unless we turn more rpm's?

Not the Victor jr but the 2925. It is one of the best overall intakes for a small block that uses 23 degree heads. We have dyno'd them on 350ci motors with .450 lift to 430+ci roller cam motors and it tested the best out of 10 intakes on every engine we tried it on.

Yes,Comp Cam is the only cams I use.A custom ground cam is the same price as a shelf cam so why use a shelf cam.Normally only takes 2-3 days and you have a cam thats right for your engine.You can order a cam for whatever rockers you have.They have lobes from the low threes to five hundred.

can you pm me or tell me in this forum what i spec i need to tell them i want. i am learning here and don't want to screw things up which i do alot haha. Thanks for the help again.