Default Rear End Width 58" or 60"?

Changing my Metric 3-link over to a 4-link. My current rear end does not have floating axles so off the bat I'll need to update my rear end to the floating axle type. The current rear end is 58" offset (28/30). The guys helping me out indicated that I need to get a 60" centered rear end. All fine and good. Now i've also been told through another source that Metric clips with metric lowers need to have 58" rear ends. Any advice, suggestions or opinions is greatly appreciated.

Got my answers. I can go with both. 58" or 60". Just with the 60" I would really need to keep an eye on and work my wheel offsets right.

I got a metric stub with metric lower modified. When it had a 9 inch under it we ran a 58" centered rear end. Went to a quick change and went with a 60" centered. Only real change we made was on 9 inch ran a 1" spacer on RR and when I went to a quick change I didn't run the spacer. If I ever did run it it seemed to kill side bite

Now would be a good time to switch to Nova lowers as well, which you would need a 60" rearend with.

As a chassis builder told me, no I do not need nova lowers with a 60" rear and a metric metric front end. I just need to play with my wheel offsets a bit more to get them right. Fronts vs backs. Changing to Nova lowers would be an even bigger headache by having to deal with making the bushings needed so that they fit, then spending another x amount of money on new lowers, ball joints, and on and on and on. I have 15 rims of all different offsets so theres no reason why i cant make it work.

Quote Originally Posted by ask0329 View Post
    As a chassis builder told me, no I do not need nova lowers with a 60" rear and a metric metric front end. I just need to play with my wheel offsets a bit more to get them right. Fronts vs backs. Changing to Nova lowers would be an even bigger headache by having to deal with making the bushings needed so that they fit, then spending another x amount of money on new lowers, ball joints, and on and on and on. I have 15 rims of all different offsets so theres no reason why i cant make it work.
    Changing your wheel offset will not do the same thing as switching to the NOVA lowers. Not to mention you will need a 0 or a 1" offset wheel to make it work correctly, or a 2" backspace with a 1"or a 2" wheel spacer. That is hard on spindles, and balljoints.
    the motion ratios of the metric, and the ratio of the nova are different. You will not get any were near the same handling gains with the wheel offset method as you would changing the a arms.
    I think there should be lifeguards in the genepool.

Heres the exact info I was given from a chassis builder:

"Your information that you have is somewhat true. Metric cars with metric lowers have a narrower front track width than cars with nova lowers or even chevelle clips cars. So a narrow (58" width rear) makes sense in your car. (That 58" measurement should be from where wheel bolts on each side). However a 60" centered housing is much more common in an IMCA modified car. Axle lengths are more common for people to have spares in trailer. You could go either direction on width of rears. I personally would do a 60" rear and run less wheel offset on fronts to compensate. An example would be to run 2" offsets on both fronts and a 3" on LR and a 4" on RR or something similiar. 1" offset nonlocks are available also and some guys do use them on RF."

Default metric

You can, and will do what you want, but I changed from metric a arms in 2002 from one week metric, to novas the next week. There was a considerable improvment in the car turning in corner, balalce through center, and exit handling.
    Large gain in ackerman when you change as well. which contributes to the better corner entry feel.
    Many improvments in it. Just have to decide how bad do you wanna win?...lol
    I think there should be lifeguards in the genepool.

The information you were given is correct and I would go with the 60" as well but I would space the front wheels out with 1" spacers on each side so you can use the same offset wheels on RF, LF, and LR. That will make life easier at the track if you want to make a quick stagger change. I did this on a stock car and it worked very well. However with modifieds you are at a disadvantage if you have a metric frame with metric lowers. It is your best interest to take the time and small amount of money to do this now. Its probably one of the biggest bang for the buck performance upgrades you can make. I have done several of the Nova conversions and the customers are always pleased with the results.

Default left side ?

Should left front and left rear be inline?

I prefer to line up the left side. With the right side lined up, I have found the car to be costantly loose. Great for a tacky track but not the dry.

The RR should be inside of the RF. Meaning you may need to space the RF out more.
    Bill W. and Dr. Bob......who could have known.

Quote Originally Posted by racinjj View Post
    The information you were given is correct and I would go with the 60" as well but I would space the front wheels out with 1" spacers on each side so you can use the same offset wheels on RF, LF, and LR. That will make life easier at the track if you want to make a quick stagger change. I did this on a stock car and it worked very well. However with modifieds you are at a disadvantage if you have a metric frame with metric lowers. It is your best interest to take the time and small amount of money to do this now. Its probably one of the biggest bang for the buck performance upgrades you can make. I have done several of the Nova conversions and the customers are always pleased with the results.
    Im new to the modified world running a 60" floater with metric lowers, the car came with 1" bolt on wheel adaptors on the front rotors and I'm able to run a 3" offset on rr, 2" everywhere else.