Default EQ Clyinder heads vs 441 487 993 GM heads worth the cost

We can now run the IMCA EQ heads it will run us around a thousand bucks by the time I get them cut to 70 cc. We have 487 993 and 441 heads we can use. Our engine guy says for around 400 bucks he can cut to 70cc put new valves spring and screw in studs but we can not use guide plates. My question will the EQ's make enough extra power to justify the extra expense or will they make any more as I have read the 487;s are better . We are like most racers struggling to make it . Current motor has 487's on it . Motor rules are 4 eyebrow hypers smog heads cut to 70 cc 600 Holley HEI dist stock crank or scat\eagle replacement stock rods or stock type replacement 425 lift rule camshaft stock 1.5 rockers our current motor we turn 6500 to 6700 rpms I know we are out of this type engines power range as we are pulling much more gear than anyone else 662 on a fast 1/2 mile high banked track thanks in advance.

Thanks but what specifically do you need to know about the rules you can only run open chamber heads the world products sr heads are also legal but are more pricey. I can do 2 sets of the 441 487 993 heads for less than the cost of 1 set of the EQ heads, the motor rules are basically a claimer type engine with no claim. On the 600 Holley it is a Stealth and on a mopar 360 one like ours made 25 hp over another tricked up 600 Holley made a believer out of my buddy who did not believe that the carb would make that much difference. One added cost would be getting the heads cut to 70 cc as they come 76 cc
    Last edited by RW57; 12-24-2012 at 02:46 PM.

Sorry sometimes my mind don't work right 70 cc min 1.94 intake 1.50 exhaust no dual springs stock dia springs the 400 bucks with my engine guy included cutting to 70 cc. Thanks stock car driver that is what I was thinking about the added cost I do not know if the added cost is worth the performance gain if there is any. The car is basically a stock clip late model 3 link 600 bucks could be spent else where.

I thought i read that the eq heads were 15 lbs heavier, but i have never weighed them.

Thanks We will be sticking with the GM heads we have them I can get them done for around 400 $ ready to go . Also I did read they were heavier thanks guys.

I like the 993 or the 487x. Are you allowed to use the "X" heads?

I also have a set of sr torquers new and bare laying here I would take 200 for.

If your allowed the "X" heads that what I would roll with them.

We can run the x heads but almost impossible to find although I do have a friend who has a set. Parrot what would you recommend if you had a set of each to use. We live and race in Northwest Ga and are very lucky to have these cores as I am sure you know this stuff is disappearing fast. They have opened up the rules this year for the Mopars and Fords allowing the Mopars 62cc heads and 450 lift cam but with dish pistons Fords can run 58cc heads w flat tops but must run a 425 lift cam. Mopars must carriy another 100 lbs to weigh 2800 Fords and Chevys can weigh 2700 lbs. Chevys are stuck with 70 cc heads and 425 lift cams. To me the winner in all of this is the Ford with Mopar 2nd . We considered going with the Mopar as I am a Mopar guy at heart problem was the cost of everything to switch headers pulleys bell housing alone to go to GM trans 500 bucks, I think the Chevys should have at least got the 450 cam and or Vortech heads and told the tech man but to no avail. I have a little different feel for this as I sat behind one of the Mopars for 2 races doing what you would call I guess R&D for a friend of mine. Our car is a Chevy that my son drives and I drove it one race this year Let me tell you the Mopar was a beast a real torque monster but it will only pull to 6100 and it is done where we can spin the Chevy to 65 t0 6700. Which combo would you think would be the winner here the rules are in my first post also have you ever built Ford or Mopar engine along these type of rules .Thanks for the info it is pretty neat to talk to people in other parts of the country and just bench race that is what I love about racing.

Just wondering what the diff is between a 487 and 487 x head.I just took a set of a 1971 chevy pickup that my neighbor has had sitting since 1988. .I ccd both the heads on the intake runner, and came up with 155 for the 487 and 156 for the 487 x, so basically identical. They both have 1.94 1.5 valves.i run the 487 now.Just wondering what are the differences supposed to be.

I think that little bit of difference you found is the only difference

cant speak for the fords but the chryslers definitely make big power. their spec intake is a victor single plane and the fords/chevys are only allowed a performer dual plane. a guy up here dynoed a chrysler imca spec stockcar motor and it was 25hp better than the best chevy that has been on this particular dyno. the chrysler also made peak power higher than the sbc and also made more bottom end tq.

Quote Originally Posted by turner View Post
    Just wondering what the diff is between a 487 and 487 x head.I just took a set of a 1971 chevy pickup that my neighbor has had sitting since 1988. .I ccd both the heads on the intake runner, and came up with 155 for the 487 and 156 for the 487 x, so basically identical. They both have 1.94 1.5 valves.i run the 487 now.Just wondering what are the differences supposed to be.
    I was told that the x had thicker exhaust casting for the trucks. Dont remember who told me that.
    Gator Engineering

I think in the original heads the X was for performance and used a slightly larger runner. In the years later I do not believe it was used for anything more than to differentiate options like a casting number. I did hear the same thing about the flange that you heard Dave but never tried to check it.

No chevys have to run 5,7 rods no 6 in rods in our class also mopars can run 1.94 intake 1.62 exhaust like I said the mopar I drove was a beast. They can also run EQ heads and replacement stock type rods their new combo will have lighter rotating assembly which will make it even better the motor I drove had an 18 # flywheel unlike the chevrolet which can run a 15# flywheel they can get a billet flywheel made at 15 #. If the new combo is better than what I drove they will be hard to beat. What kind of hp/torque do you think the chevy makes built by these rules I know what the mopar did on the dyno 400 plus on both at 5800 rpm. I am afraid it is gonna be a long year. I still think a Ford would be the way to go I do not know sh&& about a Ford though
    Last edited by RW57; 12-26-2012 at 12:55 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by stock car driver View Post
    There is no difference if you talk to people who have actually tested and flowed them, I wouldnt pay extra for the x but I would take the x if its the same price because so many people think they are better, it will help my resale down the road some day. Its the same as people who will pay extra for a 4 bolt main 350.
    Ahh. I got ya. Thanks for the info Jeff. I got them for free, just had to take them off.Always been curious as to what if any the diff was.

GM always claimed 10 cc larger runner but I have never tested. Guess they was just "blowing smoke"! lol

Parrot what do you think each engine built by the rules would make torque and horsepower wise I know what the mopar makes on the dyno a little over 410 TQ and HP at 5800 rpm 6100 is the limit on it. The TQ and HP are nearly the same I have heard rumors that some of the Chevys we race against made450 hp but this was with a week of dyno time. at who knows what cost. We can not afford to put our chevy on the dyno but I think it be doing good to make 400 on either one the HP might be there but not the TQ but we can put more gear in and spin the Chevy to 6700 which might help some don't get me wrong if we could go Mopar we would in a second we just need any ideas that might help max out our combo without dyno time I think our motor is probably similar to a 602 but with out the vortec heads and a 425 lft cam .
    Last edited by RW57; 12-26-2012 at 03:17 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by racer69 View Post
    GM always claimed 10 cc larger runner but I have never tested. Guess they was just "blowing smoke"! lol
    Im not sure. I have heard that they had 2.02 1.6 valves to, but my neighbor bought this truck new , so i know it came from the factory and hasn't been messed with.

The torque is what makes the Mopar so strong I mean up this thing would just eat the best of the Chevys up from the middle of the corner off I mean to the point of lifting to keep from running over them it was quite impressive I ain't had nuthin pull like that since I raced 440 Mopar big blocks years ago those things would your pull your eyeballs thru the back of your head you drove them by aiming and holding on LOL!!!!

Hey thanks to everyone especially Parrot for the info .We are going to stay with the 487/993 type heads because we have them and the general consensus is they are not worth the cost especially in light of fact they are heavier.Also all jokes aside we are building whole motors for just a little more than Parrot says it would cost to put good parts on the EQ heads.We will continue to build our 1500 dollar grenades they have worked pretty good so far 1st one lasted 2 seasons before it went ka boom!!! Thanks again everyone.
    Last edited by RW57; 12-27-2012 at 12:36 PM.

I used to love building those "1500 dollar grenades"! LOL We ran em in the ground forever! Old bomber would scream with them! Now the days of Mod and Late Model engines and my Asphalt motors have left me wishing for those days!