Thread: Powder coating

Default Powder coating

How do you feel about coating the pistons and crank and the chambers in the heads???? What is worth the money and whats not??? What it the HP gain by doing this???? Real Numbers not what is clamed. thx

I think you mean Ceramic thermal barrier coating, not Powder coating correct? Aluminum head or Iron? If Alum. there is some power to be had due to the increase in combustion temp. (less transfer to the head) If Iron very little to be had. The pistons there is some power and some added insurance in case of being on the ragged edge of lean or to much timing.
    Josh K.

yeah thats what i ment. What about the coating on the piston skirt? I have cast iron heads. Its a imca mod motor on Alky. 358 just looking for some extra hp.

Not more then a few hp with the skirt coating if that. The ring pack is where the power is really at in terms of friction, go with a thin ring pack .043x.043 3mm or 1.2x1.5 3mm, napier second ring with low-mid tension oil rings. Je Pro Seal or Total seal can get you fixed up, don't bother with the gapless stuff just a conventional AP steel or Moly top. Pm me some details of your combo and rules and I will see if I can help you out.
    Josh K.

I pm'ed you....

Quote Originally Posted by heafroe View Post
    I pm'ed you....
    Sorry I replied, but I see it didn't go through, I may have hit the preview icon instead of submit. I will try again.
    Josh K.