Default Crown Vic chassis for street stock class

Hey everyone! I am new to the forum and relatively new to dirt track racing. In the past I have been a derby driver for years.

I am wondering everyone's opinion on running crown Vic chassis particularly a 95. Monte's are somewhat hard to find at times and I have a chance to get a Vic pretty cheap to build.

Rules are pretty open. 108" wb, aftermarket bodies, no quick changes, screw in jacks on all 4's, 8" rims, tubular upper a arms, stock lowers.

Rules say nothing about not being aloud to shorten wheel base. I'd run 9" rear with a Chevy motor with Saginaw 3 sp.

Any opinions would be great. If I should wait it out for a monte or crown Vics okay to go with. Let's hear it! Thanks Josh.

Some guys will tell you it's too wide for dirt... i don't buy that. It's 6" wider at the frame rails and 3" wider to the center of the spring pocket.

It also has square tube side rails which are much stronger than a g body, 4 wheel discs, a hefty 8.8 axle (which you could narrow if needed) and a 4 link rear. The '98-'02's feature a Watts link on the rear... what's not to like?

With nearly every car out there running the same old chassis and the same old SBC is it any wonder we have follow the leader racing? I'd bet a guy who's done well with a g body would run even better with that Ford chassis under whatever body he choses.

My question is why not make it all Ford?
    Last edited by Krooser; 11-27-2012 at 10:50 PM.

I suppose making it all ford would be much easier of a build. Never considered it since I have a 350 to build in the garage. I guess if I were to go with a Vic I could consider the ford motor.

How are the stock rears? I just thought I would go with a 9" but never really considered the stock rear. What's the opinions on that subject? Thanks. Josh.

If UMP would allow me to shorten the wheel base of the crown vic to 108", I would have built one long ago. I think the 2000 and up have the stock 4 link rear. That setup could be killer. Having a rear suspention that worked for you instead of against you would be a great advantage. I thought about just shortening the frame and building it anyway, but Im so sure it would have been so much faster than a metric that everyone would have cry'ed a river and they would have DQ'ed it. Heck, they cryed enough over my Metric, LOL. I wouldnt build it if it had to be 112" would be to hard to get it to turn the way it should.

Dave.

The Ford 8.8 is pretty stout with lots of gears available from many sources.

engine placement with vic frame is the big question. if you can set it back the chevy would be easyer because of the ford oil pump out front. the ford frames are hevier so set back will be a benifit. I've race one for the past 4 years against all chevy frames and can or could use a chevy frame but choose not to. why? we could start a debate on that. in those 4 years is 2 championships and 2nd and a 3rd. and yes my frame is shortened to 107.5

http://www.4m.net/showthread.php?284...P-Street-Stock

Here is a link to a guy that is selling my old car. It is a crown vic frame that we shortened and slightly turned the stub on. It's about a 109-109.5" wheelbase to match the Lincoln body.

Quote Originally Posted by MM90 View Post

Here is a link to a guy that is selling my old car. It is a crown vic frame that we shortened and slightly turned the stub on. It's about a 109-109.5" wheelbase to match the Lincoln body.
    I got a kick out of the deal "for sale for a limited time".... must be a special edition collectible!!!

What year is the frame under that car?

Quote Originally Posted by Krooser View Post
    I got a kick out of the deal "for sale for a limited time".... must be a special edition collectible!!!

What year is the frame under that car?
    Glad I could brighten your day!!! I put that on there because I'm a one man operation and need the time to get it ready for next year if not sold. I don't have time to deal with jack-offs and picture collectors.

It's a mid 80's frame by the way.

Quote Originally Posted by MM90 View Post

Thanks for the link Andy.

Quote Originally Posted by Crash 4 View Post
    Glad I could brighten your day!!! I put that on there because I'm a one man operation and need the time to get it ready for next year if not sold. I don't have time to deal with jack-offs and picture collectors.

It's a mid 80's frame by the way.
    Got it....