Thread: Ford 2300 coil

Default Ford 2300 coil

What is the best coil to run on a 2300 Mustaang?

thanks
    TC65

Need to know more about your ignition system. Is it an electronic module distributor? One thing you should watch with a coil. The primary resistance of the coil primary, particularly aftermarket, should nearly match the input resistance of the electronic module in the distributor, if used. If there is even a moderate mismatch, ignition performance will suffer. That's the reason, way back when, I always used a Pertronix module & associated Pertronix ignition coil. Maximum energy transfer between the coil & distributor. One final thing to consider. If the coil is oil-filled, do not mount it horizontally. If you mount horizontal, the secondary windings in the coil may not be completely covered with the cooling oil & will tend to overheat. I always used a Pertronix epoxy-encapsulated coil. It could be mounted in any position. -84Dave-

What type of coil with a Mels distributor?

MSD Blaster 2 Will work with most all distributors. They are cheap on Ebay.

Default Ford 2300 coil

with the Mel's ignition use only Mel's coils. I found out the hard way twice (slow learner) and burned up the module using a Blaster II. Go with Mel and you won't have any problems.

Supertruck explains my point exactly. The coil primary impedance must be matched as closely as practical to the distributor module input impedance. Even if a mismatch doesn't 'fry' the distributor module, ignition performance can/will degrade. The engine may appear/feel to run just fine, but performance suffers a bit. -8dDave-

msd blaster 2 coil

Depending on how old your Mel's system is, he used the 3 ohm coil from Petronix. Pay attention to what Dave said as the mismatch impeadance of the coil to the pickup will not be good.

Bill

I never ran anything but the Stock Ignitions with the exception of a old dual point Mallory. With the TFI and the Duraspark I ran stock, blasters and even the big yellow super coils with out the resistors and never had any issues. Now like Dave said match aftermarket systems to the proper coils as to give you the best possible performance the electronics package has much tighter tollrances.

Default Ford 2300 coil

the problem I had with the stock ignition is that the cap will not clear the intake (using the Holley intake). Mel uses the short cap and it clears the intake fine.

these guys are right. I use the tfi distributor and the correspoonding coil from that same system and it works fine for me. They are match. The tfi system is good up to 10,grand and I dont run up there. .
    dr6 motorsports