Thread: Engine Guys ??

Default Engine Guys ??

I have 2 sets of cyl heads, !st set is the bowtie 034 that I can run a roller cam with, and the 2nd set is the new vortec 2 inch intake heads that I can run a solid lift cam with. Which combination would yall recommend, bottom end will be the same regardless which heads I run. 2300 pound limited late on a 3/8 momentum style track. Thanks for any input.

Not sure about the comparison as there are a couple bowtie versions as well as vortec versions. I know back in the day the bowties were the deal but the vortec combusition chamber is worth about 10-20hp in most comparisons.

Airflow is going to be the best judge. Got anybody close that can flow them for you. Best to do with an intake manifold in place.
    What is the manifold rule for each???

If it was me I would run the Bowtie just for the ability to use a roller cam and associated valvetrain. No break-in problems and an extra 1000-1500rpms to boot.

Unless there is a hidden rule in the bunch to aid the smaller vortec I would go Roller Bowtie and mill them to about 40cc's and let it ride, and make the rest of the folks cry.

If you can't find anybody close and still need help with bench and head work I have a couple folks working for me in the chassis shop and I now have a lot more time for my engine projects. I usually flow heads I am working on for $50, this information is essential for the proper custom cam specs for your engine. Most folk miss the boat and custom designed cams only cost about $100 more than one straight from the catalog.

Thx Dyno!!

The Bowtie heads dont flow very well in any case, we only use them in NASCAR asphalt applications where the rules limit you to that head. I've seen Bowties that have had hundreds of dollars of port work done to them and they still wont out flow the Vortec heads out of the box. Are the Vortec heads you have the small port or large port versions? Are your rules limiting you to the flat tappet cam on the Vortec heads? If thats the case then that should be a good example of how much better they are! My opinion is that the Vortec head is by far a better head than the traditional angle plug Bowtie. The fastburn combustion chamber and the raised port of the Vortec head is the way to go. And if you can incorporate the roller cam you will have a real beast. What size carb are you using, and what intake manifold?