Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Default For bt

Is there historical and scientific proof of Jesus?

It is interesting that when people seek historic and scientific proof of Jesus, they immediately discount the Bible as a reliable source.

If we look at the Bible simply as a historic document, it should be among the most reliable on record compared with others.

Historians routinely cite Herodotus as a key source of information. He wrote from 488 B.C. to 428 B.C. and the earliest copy of his work comes from 900 A.D. (1,300 years later). There are only eight known copies of his work.

By contrast, the New Testament of the Bible (with all its information about Jesus) was written between 40 A.D. and 100 A.D. The earliest known copy is from 130 A.D. and there are 5,000 known copies in Greek, 10,000 in Latin and 9,300 in other languages.

Still, to put to rest the notion that there is no historic and scientific proof of Jesus outside the Bible, we may look to Jewish historian Flavius Josephus and to Roman historian Carius Cornelius Tacitus - both well known and accepted.

Josephus, in the book Jewish Antiquities" wrote:

"At that time lived Jesus, a wise man, if he may be called a man; for he performed many wonderful works. He was a teacher of such men as received the truth with pleasure. . . .And when Pilate, at the instigation of the chief men among us, had condemned him to the cross, they who before had conceived an affection for him did not cease to adhere to him. For on the third day he appeared to them alive again, the divine prophets having foretold these and many other wonderful things concerning him. And the sect of the Christians, so called from him, subsists at this time" (Antiquities, Book 18, Chapter 3, Section 1).

Tacitus, in writing about accusations that Nero burned the city of Rome and blamed it on Christians, said the following:

". . .Nero procured others to be accused, and inflicted exquisite punishment upon those people, who were in abhorrence for their crimes, and were commonly known by the name of Christians. They had their denomination from Christus (Christ, dm.), who in the reign of Tibertius was put to death as a criminal by the procurator Pontius Pilate. . . .At first they were only apprehended who confessed themselves of that sect; afterwards a vast multitude discovered by them, all of which were condemned, not so much for the crime of burning the city, as for their enmity to mankind. . . ." (Tacitus, Annals, 15, 44).

showing your stupidity again

Quote Originally Posted by Busheetreats View Post
    Sorry, Science disproves the bible over and over and over and over and over and over and over again.
    Could you please site examples? And please do what you can to refute my previous post about the odds of the prophecies coming true.

Default here you go bushee

Science without religion is lame, religion without science is blind.
    Albert Einstein

so you are an atheist next question

and your not Einstien mushroom head lmao

brillaant from new your times or is that riverfront times

Jesus will only appear in the flesh upon his 2nd coming.

Then if anyone says to you, ‘Look, here is the Christ!’ or ‘There he is!’ do not believe it. For false christs and false prophets will arise and perform great signs and wonders, so as to lead astray, if possible, even the elect. See, I have told you beforehand. So, if they say to you, ‘Look, he is in the wilderness,’ do not go out. If they say, ‘Look, he is in the inner rooms,’ do not believe it. For as the lightning comes from the east and shines as far as the west, so will be the coming of the Son of Man. Wherever the corpse is, there the vultures will gather.

“Immediately after the tribulation of those days the sun will be darkened, and the moon will not give its light, and the stars will fall from heaven, and the powers of the heavens will be shaken. Then will appear in heaven the sign of the Son of Man, and then all the tribes of the earth will mourn, and they will see the Son of Man coming on the clouds of heaven with power and great glory. And he will send out his angels with a loud trumpet call, and they will gather his elect from the four winds, from one end of heaven to the other.
    —Matthew 24:23-31

Jesus WILL be seen by ALL! It will be a glorious day for some and the worst day in the lives of many, as they realize they had the truth and the gift of Jesus Christ presented to them and they failed to believe it and accept it.

Noah's Ark was logistically impossible, and there is no geological record of a global flood.The Adam and Eve story doesn't work - a viable population cannot arise from a single pair of founders (Google "genetic bottleneck" and "founder effect").
    Just because the wives of Cain and Abel are not explained, does not mean they did not exist.

http://www.neverthirsty.org/pp/corner/read1/r00397.html

A guy can't survive in the belly of a fish.
    There are all kinds of miracles and "things that can't happen" recorded in the Bible.

http://www.angelfire.com/mi/dinosaurs/jonah.html

The Bible claims the world is flat (a circle is not the same as a sphere).
    Note, the Biblical Hebrew word for “circle” (חוג—chuwg) can also mean “round” or “sphere.”

Why would circle not be the same as sphere in this context? Do you not think this could be referring to the circular shape of the horizon at sun set or sunrise? There are many explanations for this.

According to Genesis, there were plants before there was sunlight;
    Can a plant survive for a day without sunlight? Yes. Can a plant grow under a light that isn't from the sun? Yes. Light was the first thing created by God.

Genesis lists grasses and fruit trees in creation, but we know these didn't arise until fairly late in plant evolution; birds were allegedly "created" before land animals (but we know they evolved from theropod dinosaurs).
    We don't KNOW anything about "evolution". It is a THEORY. It is unproven. Site me ONE instance where there is proof of one animal "evolving" from another animal. There is a difference between a particular animal evolving (changing/adapting) within itself and a different animal evolving from a completely different one over time.

Snakes and donkeys can't talk, there aren't magic trees, Bats aren't birds and hares don't chew cud.
    http://gracethrufaith.com/ask-a-bibl...talking-snake/

As for the donkey....it says "the Lord opened the donkey's mouth". Again, the issue is that you refuse to believe in God and thus, won't believe the things he does and/or has done.

Not sure what you're getting at with the "magic tree" and "Bats aren't birds" etc.
    Last edited by skids; 02-04-2013 at 11:04 AM.

Evolution: If evolution was real, where are all the mistakes? There are no signs of evolution other then elementary social studies books.

Man came from Ape, sorry. I know you blindly believe.
    Technically, men did not evolve from apes. Man and apes both evolved from a common ancestor way down on the evolutionary ladder.
    "The trouble with quotes on the Internet is that you can never know if they are genuine." ~ Abraham Lincoln

he temperature of heaven can be rather accurately computed. Our authority is the Bible, Isaiah 30:26 reads,Moreover, the light of the moon shall be as the light of the sun and the light of the sun shall be sevenfold as the light of seven days.Thus, heaven receives from the moon as much radiation as the earth does from the sun, and in addition seven times seven (forty nine) times as much as the earth does from the sun, or fifty times in all. The light we receive from the moon is one ten-thousandth of the light we receive from the sun, so we can ignore that. With these data we can compute the temperature of heaven: The radiation falling on heaven will heat it to the point where the heat lost by radiation is just equal to the heat received by radiation. In other words, heaven loses fifty times as much heat as the earth by radiation. Using the Stefan-Boltzmann fourth power law for radiation(H/E)4 = 50where E is the absolute temperature of the earth, 300°K (273+27). This gives H the absolute temperature of heaven, as 798° absolute (525°C).The exact temperature of hell cannot be computed but it must be less than 444.6°C, the temperature at which brimstone or sulfur changes from a liquid to a gas. Revelations 21:8: But the fearful and unbelieving... shall have their part in the lake which burneth with fire and brimstone." A lake of molten brimstone [sulfur] means that its temperature must be at or below the boiling point, which is 444.6°C. (Above that point, it would be a vapor, not a lake.)We have then, temperature of heaven, 525°C. Temperature of hell, less than 445°C. Therefore heaven is hotter than hell.
    What???? I have no idea what you are attempting to say. All I do know, is that you DENY the existence of a heaven and a hell, yet attempt to tell the temperatures of both. How does that make sense?

Man came from Ape, sorry. I know you blindly believe.
    Then why are there still apes???

I refuse to believe that these things happened because they are not possible, but the only explanation is "I refuse to believe". Try rationale thinking for a bit.
    I would guess you would say divine healing is impossible too. Yes?

What do you say to medically (scientifically) verified miracles of healing? I could site numerous doctors who say there have been countless cases where there is NO other explanation of people who were documented with diseases such as cancer and in a moments time (many without treatment of any kind) are suddenly cancer free. I suppose it is coincidence?

Oh Bushy.

Defination of a FOOL.

1. One who is destitute of reason, or the common powers of understanding; an idiot. Some persons are born fools, and are called natural fools; others may become fools by some injury done to the brain.
    2. In common language, a person who is somewhat deficient in intellect, but not an idiot; or a person who acts absurdly; one who does not exercise his reason; one who pursues a course contrary to the dictates of wisdom.
    3. In scripture, fool is often used for a wicked or depraved person; one who acts contrary to sound wisdom in his moral deportment; one who follows his own inclinations, who prefers trifling and temporary pleasures to the service of God and eternal happiness.
    The fool hath said in his heart, there is no God. Ps. 14.
    4. A weak christian; a godly person who has much remaining sin and unbelief.
    O fools, and slow of heart to believe all the prophets have written.

I say there is no heaven or hell and then go on to show you why, but then again the only excuse I've read is that everything in the bible is different from reality. Of course.
    How come everytime you write something, I get the vision of a monkey with his hands over his eyes? Who are you hiding from? It ain't God, He's got your number, big time...

God gives us free will, and allows some to fulfill prophecy, that part would be you......

No, I link that through using science, that according to the bible heaven is hotter than hell. That doesn't mean that I think that they exist.
    Doesn't make any difference, God says it will be fine for us. Accept it. Remember, there actually are scriptures that deal with that, go to the source, why beat around the bush?

Actually BT your kind of unimpressive. The man vs apes thing is old and proven wrong so long ago, you aught to have something a bit newer. That one is ho hum, for sure... Good grief I think about it its 1956 social studies, and about 7th or 8th grade.... Oh well give us insight to the mentality were dealing with.