Default Is this PS Pump based on a production model?

Anyone know if this PS Pump is based on a production model?

http://www.speedwaymotors.com/AFCO-P...00-,41114.html
    http://www.smileysracing.com/shoppin...i=17346&c=1532

I bought a second hand PS pump with remote reservoir maybe 20 years ago and have since noticed the same pump housing and line placement on several 'racing' pump brands. I am thinking about bringing it out of retirement I have heard maybe it came off a cadillac or volvo but nothing specific.

Quote Originally Posted by GraceRider View Post
    Anyone know if this PS Pump is based on a production model?

http://www.speedwaymotors.com/AFCO-P...00-,41114.html
    http://www.smileysracing.com/shoppin...i=17346&c=1532

I bought a second hand PS pump with remote reservoir maybe 20 years ago and have since noticed the same pump housing and line placement on several 'racing' pump brands. I am thinking about bringing it out of retirement I have heard maybe it came off a cadillac or volvo but nothing specific.
    Yes, they are based on or perhaps even refurbished Saginaw PS pumps. I seem to remember hearing that you could find a stock one with factory remote tank on a Olds Omega or something like that, but I can't remember for sure.

1990-1996 Chevy lumina Apv mini van. Also Pontiac transport and Olds silhouette
    It'll be fine

Been using a stock pump for 10 seasons, and stil works great, only thing i had to do was take the line fitting out of the pump and drill the hole to 5/32", the production hole didnt allow enough flow. Good luck

Great info!

I think you guys are on to something. Local parts chain shows the 1990 APV for $48, 1995 for $55 and the images look very similiar to the pump case.

To comply with a ps pumps w/ tank attached rule, I picked up the attached plastic tank kit for $25 from Smileys. Even the tank clips look factory with the kit. My pump housing didn't have the clip grooves cast in, so a little sawzall effort was required. Seems to hold water...literally

Now if I need to replace the pump I may need to figure out a way to remove the aluminum pulley. The puller start deforming the pull surface when I tested it. The pump hasn't been run in awhile.

If you need an attached tank, 86 chevy astro van is the identical pump to Afcos high dollar unit.
    cost about $68 complete.

Curt Drake
    Stock Car #55x

That's the tank they sold me, same plastic elbow on the side and all. I don't know how you guys figure this stuff out, but it's good to have you around.

Quote Originally Posted by GraceRider View Post
    Great info!

I think you guys are on to something. Local parts chain shows the 1990 APV for $48, 1995 for $55 and the images look very similiar to the pump case.

To comply with a ps pumps w/ tank attached rule, I picked up the attached plastic tank kit for $25 from Smileys. Even the tank clips look factory with the kit. My pump housing didn't have the clip grooves cast in, so a little sawzall effort was required. Seems to hold water...literally

Now if I need to replace the pump I may need to figure out a way to remove the aluminum pulley. The puller start deforming the pull surface when I tested it. The pump hasn't been run in awhile.
    just warm the the pulley up with a small torch the aluminum will crow much faster than the stel shaft making it easier to remove.

I actually had one of the afcos and it had an AN fitting on the side of the tank so I swapped the tank.
    A guy could probably put a bulkhead fitting in there and be OK but Im not for sure.

Curt Drake
    Stock Car #55x

Yep elbow is junk. As stated above, put a bulkhead 6 an fitting in it. Also helps to run regular power steering hose instead of braded steel line. It is lighter and more flexible, it won't be as hard on the reservoir.
    It'll be fine

...and we all wonder how racing costs are out of control.

Default v-belt option??

are you guys running the serpentine pulley with the unit? I need to run a v-belt. Is there such a pulley???
    how are you mounting the pump?

Sweet mfg. sells a v-belt pulley that will fit.