Erb "Out with Bloomer in with Rayburn?" - Page 2

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

I know a local driver right now that is smiling from ear to ear

Quote Originally Posted by hucktyson View Post
    I have looked at every square inch of those cars and I can assure you there is nothing magic under there at all , 4 link with a lift bar and a standard left side mounted panhard bar .. No the chassis doesn't look like a Rayburn at ALL
    Does the RAYBURN Chassis that Scott SELLS look like a Rayburn? I think there may be something more to this than we see. And I think Team Zero is involved in it.
    Guerilla Racing Junkies.

Think about it, Team Zero driver abruptly changes to Rayburn despite being fast in Team Zero cars, Team Zero driver is caught at CJ's shop allegedly with a Team Zero car, Team Zero sells CJ Rayburn Race Cars and CJ is having problems selling cars....

Rayburn announces that they have THE race car to be in on the way NOW in the middle of all this. and then....
    Last edited by Rocky; 01-20-2013 at 06:10 PM.
    Guerilla Racing Junkies.

And then Team Zero Driver talks like a politician to one of our guys about it. This wasn't shady on Dennis's part, this was business on Scott Bloomquist's part.
    Guerilla Racing Junkies.

c'mon 4m this here is where you tell me that Apollo Creed hit me in the head too many times. Or maybe I'm makin' sense? naw, I doubt it.
    Guerilla Racing Junkies.

Old school indeed...

Just anotha guy on 4m who think's they know what they're talking about...

Quote Originally Posted by noballsnobabies View Post
    Heard from a little bird, through the grapevine, that Erb took his bloomer chassis to rayburn and copied it. so I did a search on 4m and could find no mention of it. has anyone else heard this??
    This would be pointless and Rayburn is far too proud to copy anybody, most have copied him to some degree. Have heard that Erb is returning the Bloomers and getting back in a Rayburn.

Quote Originally Posted by Rocky View Post
    Have any of you guys ever got a good look at a Bloomquist car? It wouldn't shock me if it was very old school. Like cars that were built when there were a lot more 100 lap races, which were won mostly by Rayburn cars. I mean ist it even a 4 link? or is it.... A Swingarm car?
    Yes I've had a pretty good look, even have a picture of one upside down that Jonathan Davenport drove and flipped at Cherokee. Bloomers cars are much more rigid than say a Rocket or a GRT or a Mastersbilt. Bloomer uses an extra thick LS frame rail and thin wall tubing though out, but a lot of bracing to keep flex down. They are "4 link cars", but his cars use a setup that requires a more "straight-ahead" driving style as opposed to the sling it sideways stuff approach. Now Bloomer was a Rayburn dealer at one time and he'd sell you a Rayburn car with his little touches, but I'm not sure he still does that anymore. The frontend design was originally a collaboration between Bloomquist and a guy who worked for Warrior and left to start FAST chassis, but I forget his name. I'm sure like a lot of cars his have evolved some, but he mainly seems to work on refining his setups, not copying others or reinventing things too much.

Quote Originally Posted by stevo View Post
    Rayburns new car is not like the bloomer, Rayburn updated the pull bar system, Bloomer did real good in the Rayburn swingarm cars.
    He only ran them in 1997 and the swing arm debuted in 1990 or 1991...
    1987-1991 he was with Mastersbilt(Leaf car),
    1992 was 1st stint with Warrior(Leaf car),
    1993-1997 Barry Wright(Leaf cars in 1993 & 1994. 4 link late 1994 to early 1997),
    1997 Rayburn(Swing arm),
    1998-???? was 2nd stint in Warrior(4 link),
    ????-Present Bloomquist Chassis(4 link).

Not saying he didn't run well in 1997, but it was a rebuilding year and he didn't stay long with Rayburn. I have video of him running his Rayburns at Eldora and Cherokee in 97', but if memory serves right he also experimented with in-house engine building and ultimately went back with a professional engine builder and it may have been "Custom" in TN at that time.

Quote Originally Posted by Slideways View Post
    I thought swingarm suspension was somewhat outdated.
    Nope, just fallen out of favor. It's still a viable suspension system.

Quote Originally Posted by Drop Shock View Post
    I've heard this rumor from multiple people, and I also saw on Christian Rayburn's Facebook page where they built their first truly 4-bar car about a month ago. Seems far fetched, but it wouldn't surprise me.
    And BTW Bloomquist cars are 4-bar lol
    Not sure what you mean by "truely" because we had a Rayburn combo car(Mono-Leafs or 4 link) in 1989 and ran it as a 4-link. David Chancey ran one as well with several wins and Tony Reid won his Shootout victory in a Rayburn 4 bar back then too, with a flat top engine... If you mean, "On the Hook" thats a whole nother kettle of fish.

Quote Originally Posted by LITE-INN View Post
    would that be a reverse cantillever
    Nope. Rayburn cars were regular "canti-lever", spring shock mounted forward. Custom chassis and Jigalo ran reverse "canti-lever", spring and shock to rear of car, like car below.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by F22 RAPTOR; 01-21-2013 at 03:24 AM.
    "If racing were easy, everybody would do it."

#77 Leon "Slick" Sells

Good engineering never stops being good engineering. it just goes outta style. Alls a "swing arm" is is a Watts linkage.
    Guerilla Racing Junkies.

With Rayburn being SO WASHED UP, ALOT of people are talking about him right now......Stay right here with me, they'll all be back! ......LOL

Good engineering never stops being good engineering. it just goes outta style. Alls a "swing arm" is is a Watts linkage.
    Not really a true watts linkage the top and bottom rods are the same lengths and the shock is mounted on the bird cage. Most swing arms have different length top and bottom rods and the shocks are mounted to the swing arm

How it came about was a simplification of Canti-lever, he just rotated the shock/spring backwards, but keeping the springs energy fed thru the suspension link instead of a birdcage. He talks about it some in a recent interview, but I knew about it from my days at Carrera Racing Shocks working with D ick Anderson, the actual designer. So Canti-lever and Swing arms are cousins so to speak with a loose relation to Watts, like you said. I myself am fond of Z-link, which is a type of Watts too, with unequal length link arms.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by F22 RAPTOR; 01-21-2013 at 01:49 PM.

#77 Leon "Slick" Sells

Quote Originally Posted by F22 RAPTOR View Post
    How it came about was a simplification of Canti-lever, he just rotated the shock/spring backwards, but keeping the springs energy fed thru the suspension link instead of a birdcage. He talks about it some in a recent interview, but I knew about it from my days at Carrera Racing Shocks working with D ick Anderson, the actual designer. So Canti-lever and Swing arms are cousins so to speak with a loose relation to Watts, like you said. I myself am fond of Z-link, which is a type of Watts too, with unequal length link arms.
    I have the stuff for a Z link on the right side of my car. But the 4 bar confuses me enough.
    Guerilla Racing Junkies.

When I owned a WRC that was referred to as a "Watts Link", on the left rear, the top bar went to the rear of the frame and the bottom went forward. Both went forward on the right.
    Billy Moyer from 23rd to 1st at 2010 World 100 -- $25
    Billy Moyer PASSING "Captain Zero" on the inside -- $20

Standing Inside Of Turn Two Against The Concrete Wall Hearing Moyer's Engine Scream By Every Lap, Feeling The Ground Rumble Under Your Feet ........

"PRICELESS"

Thumbs up

I have the stuff for a Z link on the right side of my car. But the 4 bar confuses me enough.
    Go with what you know. However everything I've studied and experienced is that the z-link gives a more stable feel to the driver, especially when its rough or high speed. If you have a 4 link package you like and it works for you, thats fine, I'm not one to bash somebody over the head if they have different likes than me. Always good talking to you, Rocky.

#77 Leon "Slick" Sells

Yeah heck I probably ought to talk to ya on the phone sometimes, I can go with what I know, but what I know is nothing. Other than lefty loosy right tighty. I'm an excellent fighter jet mechanic good as anybody on the flight line. But a dirt Late Model is a whole nother ball game tech wise. It isn't like a real car or a jet. Oh and then I gotta get in there and drive that squirrelly mother.... I need practice I need to go on shore duty so as I can get out there and run the car. No setup could fix the problems that I have right now... LOL Now if Dennis Erb was to get in my car.... that would PROBABLY fix it!
    Guerilla Racing Junkies.

Alright, back to what this post was originally about...Dennis Erb Jr.
    Just anotha guy on 4m who think's they know what they're talking about...

Quote Originally Posted by AnothaBenchRacer View Post
    Alright, back to what this post was originally about...Dennis Erb Jr.
    Do you have anything to add? I'm pretty sure that subject has been resolved here...
    "Hope everyone appreciated that ass kicking"
    - Scott Bloomquist
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fbzUD_CZM8A

Phil

With the way Dennis dominated speedweeks last year I would hate to see him completely give up on the Bloomquist cars. He came out of Florida last year as the best driver in the country. Overall he had a good year last year on a national level, but again struggled for the 2nd year in a row in the summer nationals. Yea he got a win but Dennis dominated the summer nationals from 07-09 in his Rayburn. It seems like he struggles on the tight Illinois bullrings in his Bloomquist car. But he did have a few wins on some UMP tracks like LaSalle, Quincy, Clarksville, I-55. Two years ago he struggled badly at UMP tracks but last year was a little better. I think he should stick with his Bloomquist car, or maybe just run the Rayburn for the summer nationals.

I'm not sure if you have a Bloomquist you can only drive that and no other chassis?? Although, Jimmy Owens ran a Barry Wright for a race last year. We all know Dennis is still a certified Rayburn dealer too, so I'm sure they are up to something.

I wouldn't think scott would be made if one of his drivers has ther car at cj's shop. hell the bloomquist custom started out as a rayburn that scott put his rear mounts on. cj couldn't copy a chassis that is a copy of his thats just crazy. he11 in a circle track artical scott said as did bob p. the car is a copy of rayburns car just tweeked plus scott went after rayburn's drivers just like bob did. just look at who's running well in either of those chassis and look at what they were in before get a deal on a new chassis.

Smile True True ^

Erb got the Rayburn/Bloomquist car USED from Shannon Buckingham over in Tenn.
    It was wrecked I think when he got it so no issue with Scott here?
    Plus like the man said- Why copy a Bloomquist car when it org. came from Rayburns back in the day with Bruce (War Chassis) front end stuff.
    Yeah I've Been There. Done Most Of It.