Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Alternator yes or no?

What a good choice of alternator and location when using the Kse fuel pump

Thanks in advance
    Rick lee

never had one on a dirt mod or seen a dirt mod around here run one.... get a good battery and put a small charger on it between the races.....

One more thing to fail. Good battery and charger every week and be done with it.

An alternator is a good idea. You don't really lose any noticeable horse power, nor do you have to charge the battery between races (so you can work on other things or get a hotdog). Best of all, you don't have to worry about voltage issues at the end of the evening, when it really counts. And indeed, keeping things simple is a good rule of thumb, but on the bright side, if the thing does quit working, you still have the battery, so you don't lose anything. You only get stable voltage.

I've run one of those Delco 1 wire alts from speedway for five years with the v-belt reduction pulley. No problems, other than a few extra lbs. I run it off the front of the cylinder head ( RF corner). I've never had weight distribution problems with the set up, either. The only downer is, you do have to run the long iron water pump. I run a heavy old corvette style pump to make it easy and reliable. I understand the long aluminum pumps are a bit unreliable.

This year I'm springing for the mini alternator kit so I can run the short pump (aluminum). Again, it's pretty easy to set up and I've never had issues.

Otherwise, like the other folks say, a simple battery-only set is fine also. Just charge it up after every race.
    Last edited by js11; 01-20-2013 at 09:49 PM.

been against it for years. but put one on my late model last year i run it off the back with the ps pump had to make some brackets jones pulleys have the pulleys. did not know if it would work so just got a cheap 79 dollar 1 wire alt from a part store. going to a small one this year. allot less hassle and now only have to run the generator when we need it paid for it self 10 times over just in gas savings.and there was no hp loss on the dyno

Quote Originally Posted by stock car driver View Post
    Why would you guys need to charge your cars at the track are your batterys bad? It takes 2-3 race weeks for my battery to NEED charging.

Often after one night of racing if I use my smart charger it wont even take any charge, I have to use a regular one to over charge.
    you must not be running msd or a good coil. try this charge it pull a dyno pull then race it two weeks and put it back on the dyno and then tell me you dont need to charge it. msd runs best over 13.5 volts. not with that said get into crates and some times you can be on the track well over an hour.the way i was showed was on a dyno our dyno man for the last few years has been telling me we needed one. so we were on the dyno and was done he said wait he hooked up a charger to the car on 10 amps then we made another pull picked up 7 hp you may think that is not much but that was in a car that was charged before we left the shop.and 7 hp is cheap hp in a crate no telling that the car lost on a long night.

If you ever go to any drag races look around at the top guys at that track. The cars will have chargers hooked up to them. If they do not keep the battery charged between rounds their times slow down. They do run more electronics than the typical oval track car but they run less than 30 seconds per round and some run 2 batteries, we run that much getting the car from the pits to the track.

stock car driver. now i can see why you have those red marks. you falling short on this one.

How can I fall short? I was on the chassis dyno last Wed and Fri tuning two different motors in my car, I can and do use it whenever I want.

Eitehr way I posted exactly what Ive already done on the chassis dyno, its factual data not my motor builder told me.... Ive posted it on here plenty of times in fact.

I think you have msd and hei confused, hei needs lots of voltage, the plus of a msd is it will work well with less volts.

I run a optima yellow top with 155 reserve minutes, 950 or 1000cca, not the cheapie red top most people run.

I dont even have to unblock Ego I bet to guess what he said.. I heard, I saw or someone told me...... thats how all his posts go.
    Really, I have to many people that know me on here and you are still acting like a fetus.

Stock Car posted his "results" with no data to show for it. The dyno could easily have a battery voltage reading on it along with air and water temps. Wish he would post data instead of claims like others on here.

Quote Originally Posted by Egoracing View Post
    Really, I have to many people that know me on here and you are still acting like a fetus.

Stock Car posted his "results" with no data to show for it. The dyno could easily have a battery voltage reading on it along with air and water temps. Wish he would post data instead of claims like others on here.
    ya thats why when nascar losses an alt they drop though the field like the had a anchor tied to them. well he can always unhook the alt on the family car and see how long it is before the wife is calling him. see ya guys not going to turn this into a dynoman thread.

Quote Originally Posted by twisterf5 View Post
    ya thats why when nascar losses an alt they drop though the field like the had a anchor tied to them. well he can always unhook the alt on the family car and see how long it is before the wife is calling him. see ya guys not going to turn this into a dynoman thread.
    It is funny you said that, You know for qualifying NASCAR unhooks the waterpump, and all of the comfort electronics and does all the stuff to make them faster by removing drag but they do not unhook the alternator.

another side tracked post. you can buy a kit on ebay to run the alt. down low on the drivers side. I have alt. on both my mods for next season one is mounted up high on the left side and the other car is mounted low on the drivers side. I run jones serp. pulleys on both cars this is something I've wanted to do for years.I have race proven alternators they're small and built tuff.

Quote Originally Posted by ricracer113 View Post
    What a good choice of alternator and location when using the Kse fuel pump

Thanks in advance
    Rick lee
    I have been running the 50 amp powermaster alternator with no problems,it mounts on either
    side of the engine in front with a pulley that mounts between the waterpump and the fan spacer.
    Spendy but a nice set up.
    Last edited by xxxmod; 01-21-2013 at 09:24 PM.

lol, thats funny right there from Ego.. He doesnt even have a race car, never has, why is he wanting to see my dyno run or voltage, my battery DIED I didnt do it cus I wanted to know if I could race with a dead battery, lol.

Nascar is a sanction, they dont lose a alt. They sanction races, maybe you meant when a race car on tv in a Nascar race? They dont drop until their battery is below 10 volts and they have a ton of fans, fuel injection on their cars.
    nascar cars have always lost power an fell back when thay incure a charging issue,..not just since the fuel injection has came about,...jeff,..your good at what you do an you have vast amounts of knowledge you could share but its useless to this forum the way your sarcasm drips from your every post...
    white trash motorsports

Quote Originally Posted by dirty white boy View Post
    nascar cars have always lost power an fell back when thay incure a charging issue,..not just since the fuel injection has came about,...jeff,..your good at what you do an you have vast amounts of knowledge you could share but its useless to this forum the way your sarcasm drips from your every post...
    couldnt of said it any better! i agree 99% of the time jeff is just a azzhole on here its a wonder people even talk to him!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I like them. Dont have to ever put a charger on. If you kill the motor late in a race, it fires right back up without dragging.I use a small 1 wire unit that weighs about 7 lbs. Sometimes if I am not running it and forget to put the charger on with a yellow top Optima mounted in the rear next to the fuel cell ( with good Quickcar battery cable ) it doesnt crank over very good and I worry about not starting if I kill the motor. Just speaking from experience right or wrong.

i figure it like this,..we try to get all the air an all the fuel into the combustion chamber as we can,..so we want as strong a spark as we can get to ignite as much as possible to achieve the fastest, best possible burn of the air/fuel charge,..an that requires proper voltage.... now if you can maintain proper voltage without a alternator,..kudo's for you! if not,be sure you get right pulleys an good mounts,..took the alt off my car,belts coming off became a issue,...but if i find im losing to much voltage ill be putting it back on...
    white trash motorsports

Quote Originally Posted by dirty white boy View Post
    i figure it like this,..we try to get all the air an all the fuel into the combustion chamber as we can,..so we want as strong a spark as we can get to ignite as much as possible to achieve the fastest, best possible burn of the air/fuel charge,..an that requires proper voltage.... now if you can maintain proper voltage without a alternator,..kudo's for you! if not,be sure you get right pulleys an good mounts,..took the alt off my car,belts coming off became a issue,...but if i find im losing to much voltage ill be putting it back on...
    well maybe that his problem. he run a 2 barrel carb not much motor and not that much fuel. but there more to gain than there is to loose by running one.i build 400+ transmissions a year at my shop do not advertize all my work is by word off mouth so one would think i know that i am doing and they would be right. but i still make phone calls and have to go to the books from time to time.point is we are always learning when you think there is not a better way to do it and refuse to try something that may be better than you have lost the game before you get to play.

BRAD you are better with your words than i am and that is what i was saying. we use FRANKIE GOODS DYNO we run our alt off the back to keep it out of the way. still run a HEI very modified one that holds the record on the dyno for torque in a crate. frannkie is still trying to get me to go to MSD. but was sold on the alt when he showed me what we was loosing and as you know we try to keep every thing we can get with a crate. so do you think HEI pull more juice i would not think so but let my know if you can.

never said what i had!!! but if you must know it is a MSD HEI you are the one that said HEI used more. and like i said i hold the record on the dyno with it. but that is in a crate i seen no need for a box with a crate motor and still feel that way. but like BRAD said dropped to 10.8 with a charger on it now what if you are not running an alt and you forgot to charge the battery and it was a long race how far did it drop now. you just mad because you are wrong.the thing with you is that you think you are never wrong even when it is infront of you. now i have engines from 4 bangers to 400 + super engine crate is on HEI steel head and super are on a box and both turn over 8000 so i will just keep our alt and you will find something wrong with what some one is doing because that is all you know how to do at this point in your life.
    Last edited by twisterf5; 01-23-2013 at 12:08 PM.