Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

http://www.racemate.com/
    is the ONLY thing we have used from 2001 to now and we still have the original one and it still works great. its k.i.s.s. and clean looking.

Quote Originally Posted by twisterf5 View Post
    well maybe that his problem. he run a 2 barrel carb not much motor and not that much fuel. but there more to gain than there is to loose by running one.i build 400+ transmissions a year at my shop do not advertize all my work is by word off mouth so one would think i know that i am doing and they would be right. but i still make phone calls and have to go to the books from time to time.point is we are always learning when you think there is not a better way to do it and refuse to try something that may be better than you have lost the game before you get to play.
    exactly!! closed eyes are as good as blind eyes...
    white trash motorsports

Quote Originally Posted by stock car driver View Post
    Ego, bahaha. funny stuff right there, I dont car if you call me a liar about having a sponsor for six years, your irrelevant to me. Now clearly I am important to you!

Thanks for being a fan!
    If I am so irrelevant to you why was I brought into this? You think that is me? Too Funny! If that is me I will GLADLY pay for your entire year of racing in any class you choose for the next 10 years. You must be full of yourself when someone thinks differently and you try to say that it is only one person, do you really think that you are so correct that there is only one person that knows differently? Funny Stuff right there.

This is really entertaining on a cold Jan. evening. Oh wait, i almost forgot the subject. I charge my battery betweet the heats and mains and it works for me. JMO.

Quote Originally Posted by stock car driver View Post
    What dont I understand? I can clearly see now that f5, dirty white boy, and you. Are all 3 the same user. All 3 are blind to the FACT that Msd on their own site says what voltage is needed and there is no way there are 3 different people stupid enough to keep saying the same thing over and over and backing each other all the while all three of them keep making statements attacking me clearly with a agenda.

Like I said its clear you 3 have a agenda, pherhaps we found ANOTHER one of dyno mans names since he has had the same agenda.

As for your question, yes I can use the chassis dyno any time I want. They are a sponsor of mine and have been for over 6 years now.
    wrong on so many levels...mr clew lives bout 2 hours west of me,...idk who snowapb is but it sure ant me,but he sure seems to have your number an calling you out on your communication skills,....T5 runs my home track some an we've actually meet a time or 3,...i admit i dont know half what ether of yall 3 do bout racing,..thats why im on here,TO LEARN!!! use to learn a lot on here,..but with jeff contradicting an harassing any an every body that dont worship his knowledge,..this forum has become pretty much useless,..just drop by now to see what crazy ramblings dynodummy been posting,..this board could be so full of wisdom an knowledge if peoples ego's were in check...
    white trash motorsports

sorry guys had to work. got to pay for these race parts. but been some fun reading.

Quote Originally Posted by Smowabp View Post
    No instant reply from " rock star driver"?????

He must be hotlappin on one of the Dynos in his fleet......

The sound of his silence is wonderfully deafening! Hope it wasn't the new kid that got him to shut up for a while......He would never live down getting outwitted by a newbie,low Iq,new screen namer would he?

Please tell me he wouldn't just give up like that?

And for the record again, I have seen the f 5 run that twister chassis modified in and around the Carolina's from time to time and the car was pretty good when I saw it....

Rock star driver......don't discount what you don't understand....leads to a very narrow mind.
    i dont care who you are THATS FUNNY ZHIT RIGHT THERE !!!!!!!

i think HIS screen name says it all! street stock driver lol what a joke!

oh ya i like to run alternators too

If you do a search one of the mags did a test on a low battery with an MSD and found that below XX voltage the MSD was not reliable. Also MSD shows on there web site and in the tech manuals 11-18 volts as operating voltage. That is voltage under load, If you are shutting the car off and getting out and checking the battery then you are not getting a true battery test.

Also something to think about, at what point does the voltage to the coil and tach start making the tach unreliable?
    Last edited by Egoracing; 01-24-2013 at 07:42 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Egoracing View Post
    If you do a search one of the mags did a test on a low battery with an MSD and found that below XX voltage the MSD was not reliable. Also MSD shows on there web site and in the tech manuals 11-18 volts as operating voltage. That is voltage under load, If you are shutting the car off and getting out and checking the battery then you are not getting a true battery test.

Also something to think about, at what point does the voltage to the coil and tach start making the tach unreliable?
    dont know were i read it but it said you have to be above 13.5 to keep it at optimal working volts. and would think that it take less to run a HEI. the reason they stay away from HEI is because they brake up at higher RPM'S the way i see it it takes more power to make more spark so would think that a box type system would take more power to run it.

IgnitionInfo.comPresented by MSD Ignition
    Ignitions 101
    Coils
    Distributors
    Spark Plugs
    Spark Plug Wires
    Battery/Alternators
    CD Ignitions
    SetYourTiming
    Videos

Battery and Charging System

You can have the most powerful ignition available and tuned to perfection, but without a battery to fire things up, you’ll be going no where. The battery is the main source of power for a performance ignition system, and you need to be sure that it’s capable of having the juice you need get the engine fired up. Not to mention to supply the ignition with current and voltage created by the alternator.

There’s more relying on the battery than just the ignition system. The starter is also pulling huge amounts of current to crank over your engine. Adding compression and big strokes adds to this demand as well. Also, any other electrical devices such as fans, pumps, motors, and even fuel injection controls all tap into the battery for voltage.

When looking for a batter, certainly look at the cold cranking amps (CCA) racing. Also look at the cycling, or recovery capabilities of the battery.

Alternators are used on all street cars and even on the majority of race engines (except purpose built drag cars for the most part). The alternator is responsible for producing the electricity that a car draws from the battery while it is running. The alternator generates an alternating current (AC) when it is turned by a belt and pulley system connected to the crankshaft. Inside the alternator, a rotor spins to create a magnetic field. This field is induced into the windings of a stator (around the rotor), and eventually makes its way to the battery as direct current (DC).

If you run a battery without a charging system, it is important that it’s fully charged at the beginning of the race so it has the capacity to power all of your car’s electrical needs through the finish line.

this is off MSD side so not running one will work that all depending on how long you race how much engine you are firing up and what you are powering. but it is clear they recommend running an alt.

dont know were i read it but it said you have to be above 13.5 to keep it at optimal working volts. and would think that it take less to run a HEI. the reason they stay away from HEI is because they brake up at higher RPM'S the way i see it it takes more power to make more spark so would think that a box type system would take more power to run it.
    HEI ignitions LOVE voltage! The higher the better and I have seen them tested with 18 volt systems and run. You have to have a good one to run in a race application and it has to be set up correctly to get the most from it. When we chassis dynoed our engine we found that after about 20 minutes of run time the engine started dropping power.

Quote Originally Posted by Egoracing View Post
    HEI ignitions LOVE voltage! The higher the better and I have seen them tested with 18 volt systems and run. You have to have a good one to run in a race application and it has to be set up correctly to get the most from it. When we chassis dynoed our engine we found that after about 20 minutes of run time the engine started dropping power.
    you right to a point. was not getting any numbers that i could compare so just got off the phone with MSD. they said the box will put out more spark energy than HEI but on amp draw the HEI does pull more at low rpm than tapers off the box will pull more amp after 7000. i ask them to compare there MSD HEI VS THE 6AL.
    all in all the box is better. i run the HEI just because it is faster to fix than changing out a box or coil. but we do run a box on the big engine.has any one tried the hyfire box and compared them to MSD i run the hyfire would like to know if they are any better or worse.

dang,..a intelligent conversation bout a interesting subject....how da heII did that happen???
    white trash motorsports

Quote Originally Posted by dirty white boy View Post
    dang,..a intelligent conversation bout a interesting subject....how da heII did that happen???
    well i always strive to be better than i am and don't think i know it all. you got that car ready yet/ya doing to auction tomorrow.

If you see "Only one battery" in some of the rules, that is from several years ago when people would run 2 batteries and have them wired to put 12 volts to the car BUT 24 volts to the coil. This is why you also still see some rules say 12 volt battery, that is easy to get past using an alternator that puts out 14 volts OR a 16 volt alternator with the exciter circuit wired to shut the charge to the battery off once it is topped off.
    The box is more consistent of a draw on the battery even at lower RPM where it is throwing multiple sparks. HEI are also more temperature sensitive and the performance suffers as they get hotter.

I run a alternator always, wouldn't like to charge the battery at the track. A little insurance I guess. The amount of hp it takes to one run would not effect my car. A modified .

Now if I was 2 tnths from the leader every week then maybe, just maybe I wouldn't run one. Monkey see , monkey do is what I see too much. At the track I run at most cars get loose or tight and slow down and nothing to do with the ignition system.

I guess people could run a switch and turn it off when racing if it made them feel better.

well i always strive to be better than i am and don't think i know it all. you got that car ready yet/ya doing to auction tomorrow.
    gotta mount up some new tires,..ether rebuild or replace my carb....work on set up...other than that my limited car is ready!! trying to scrounge nuff parts to finish this late model i drug home,but itll be a while on that....got the itch to build a mopar pure stock but been putting calamine lotion on it...lolol
    white trash motorsports

Got tired of reading thru all the bull but can anybody recommend a good setup to run off the back of the motor. Crate Late with Winters Bell and Bert. Coupler has the teeth on it for a belt.

Quote Originally Posted by Racer63 View Post
    Got tired of reading thru all the bull but can anybody recommend a good setup to run off the back of the motor. Crate Late with Winters Bell and Bert. Coupler has the teeth on it for a belt.
    Check with Jones, they offer( if I remember correctly) a HTP pulley for the alternator. The mount may be an issue for the winters bell.
    JMO

Quote Originally Posted by Racer63 View Post
    KRC has a couple set up to pick from one is 160 the other is around 300. the use powermaster alterators.if yyou run a rear mounted powersteeering/fuel pump it's a pretty simple pully change and adding a bracket/alt.