Thread: 604 or 602?

Default 604 or 602?

After I run my street stock this year I am planning to move up to a crate latemodel next year. I will be running a 602 in my SS this year, would I be better off just selling the car as a roller and keeping the 602 for the LM or should I just spend the money and get a higher horsepower 604 and the sell the SS as a complete ready to race car? Is the 50-70 horsepower gain with the 604 worth the extra 100-200 pound weight gain on the DLM? I have been looking at roller DLM's here lately and should of just bought one and went crate racing in the first place but I need some seat time in a slower car...
    Tracks visited...

New Smyrna Speedway
    Citrus County Speedway
    Auburndale Speedway
    Eastbay Raceway Park
    Orlando Speedworld
    Bubba Raceway Park
    Punta Gorda Speedway
    Volusia County Speedway

Quote Originally Posted by LOGANSTANFORTH View Post
    After I run my street stock this year I am planning to move up to a crate latemodel next year. I will be running a 602 in my SS this year, would I be better off just selling the car as a roller and keeping the 602 for the LM or should I just spend the money and get a higher horsepower 604 and the sell the SS as a complete ready to race car? Is the 50-70 horsepower gain with the 604 worth the extra 100-200 pound weight gain on the DLM? I have been looking at roller DLM's here lately and should of just bought one and went crate racing in the first place but I need some seat time in a slower car...
    all depends on you and the car # 1 is weight can you get the car down to 2250 that is what most are with 602 # 2 what size track the 602 does not have the power that the 604 does and #3 can you flat foot that car because that is what you will have to do to run a under powered engine.i am 6.4 285 and can not get my crate car to 2250 not knowing you those are the things you will have to look at. hope this help you decide.

The 602 actually has really good torque on the low end so if you're running short tracks it won't hurt you too bad. The 604 makes its power at the high end. You'll see your gains from the flag stand on down the straight. Where the 602 kind of flattens out the 604 is still hauling.

I disagree with twister on the idea that you have to flat foot a 602. Whether you (or anybody) can flat foot an "underpowered engine" is going to depend on track conditions. If it's a black slick 1/4 mile track you won't be flat footing a 602.

It appears you will be racing in FL. None of the tracks here have a crate motor only late model division.You will be competing against 550hp plus LM engines.With that said, you will have a hard time competing on a even keel basis.Go with the 604 for the extra hp and the rear % you will gain.At most tracks, you will get a weight break.

However, if this is your first year in a Lm, it will give you good experience.Try it for a year, and then decide if you're willing to spend an extra 12 grand for a true lm engine.Good luck!

the 602s at are track do bout flat foot all way around an still cant run with 604s big 1/2 mile with good banking,thay now run 2 seperte class's now,......now on a littler flatter track,...there more even,...remember the 604 got aluminum heads an its effect on car weight wize...
    white trash motorsports

Bubba's allows the crate engines in the limited late models and late models. I may start with a tube clip limited with a 604 and go from there, and I'm 6'4 and 365 pounds. The late models are still wet sump engines so far so I'm not scared to jump up and run with them if they would let me. Plus if i ever want to travel i can run with Fastrack and Nesmith an others...
    Tracks visited...

New Smyrna Speedway
    Citrus County Speedway
    Auburndale Speedway
    Eastbay Raceway Park
    Orlando Speedworld
    Bubba Raceway Park
    Punta Gorda Speedway
    Volusia County Speedway

The First Annual Florida State Late Model Championship on June 2nd at Ocala, Shan Smith and Mark Whitener were all over each other the last 10-12 laps, Mark won and Shan finished second. Shan was running a 604 but lost the brakes with about 5 to go and was not pushing the fact so he would not accidentally take the leader out.

Quote Originally Posted by Egoracing View Post
    The First Annual Florida State Late Model Championship on June 2nd at Ocala, Shan Smith and Mark Whitener were all over each other the last 10-12 laps, Mark won and Shan finished second. Shan was running a 604 but lost the brakes with about 5 to go and was not pushing the fact so he would not accidentally take the leader out.
    I'm going to be at Bubba's tomorrow night, I'm working in North Dakota in the oilfields and won't be landing in Tampa for my week off till tomorrow afternoon. My friend Joey is racing all 5 nights in his crate car so I'm going to pick his brain a bunch about running one...

If I do run a crate car for a year and decide to step up then all my motor will cost me is parts, I get all the machining, assembly, and dyno tuning for free...
    Last edited by LOGANSTANFORTH; 01-30-2013 at 01:33 PM.
    Tracks visited...

New Smyrna Speedway
    Citrus County Speedway
    Auburndale Speedway
    Eastbay Raceway Park
    Orlando Speedworld
    Bubba Raceway Park
    Punta Gorda Speedway
    Volusia County Speedway