Default Purpose of shock work?

What do shock builders do when you get them to go through your shocks? I spoke with a guy today and he says he can make a new one better than just buying one off the shelf? Thats fine and all, id just like to know How they make them better and what they actually do to them.Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Arrington002 View Post
    What do shock builders do when you get them to go through your shocks? I spoke with a guy today and he says he can make a new one better than just buying one off the shelf? Thats fine and all, id just like to know How they make them better and what they actually do to them.Thanks
    The main aspect is them tuning your shock instead of just assembling them at the factory. Technical experience for your class and ease of communication are other factors.
    CLICK HERE to see how you can win a turn key Rocket XR1!

Some manufacturers have problems with repeatability and they also have very large margins for what they allow to be sent out. I have personal experience with a very big time supplier *not Bilstein* but another company thats been around for years. You could build ten shocks exactly the.same with all the same parts and there was so much variance in the bodies and internals that all ten would be completely different. Most companies are a lot better than they used to be. Also there are cases where the high speed valving is absolutely fine right off the shelf but it needs to have the low speed modified to optimize performance. Just a couple of examples.

Quote Originally Posted by Renegade Cust Susp View Post
    Some manufacturers have problems with repeatability and they also have very large margins for what they allow to be sent out. I have personal experience with a very big time supplier *not Bilstein* but another company thats been around for years. You could build ten shocks exactly the.same with all the same parts and there was so much variance in the bodies and internals that all ten would be completely different. Most companies are a lot better than they used to be. Also there are cases where the high speed valving is absolutely fine right off the shelf but it needs to have the low speed modified to optimize performance. Just a couple of examples.
    Exactly why if you buy from a manufacturer etc have them dyno tested so you know what you're really getting.

Just get a good reputable shock builder. Make sure that they have guys running their stuff that are happy with them, and that they will get them done when they say they will. There are a lot of guys that take a good shock off the shelf and make them worse. There are a lot of fly by night guys out there.A good shock guy can help you, a bad shock guy can cost you a fortune.

I see. I could just never wrap my head around what they were doing with them.Thanks alot guys!Any really outstanding builders out there for the steel body shocks?

I see. I could just never wrap my head around what they were doing with them.Thanks alot guys!Any really outstanding builders out there for the steel body shocks?
    Probably lots of them. I use Jay at BSB

Also what type of shocks are most using? I currently have 50 series qa1's and was told their not the best.. Or is there a big difference in them once you get them gone through?

50 series QA1 are a good twin tube shock. The 21A QA1 monotube shocks are junk and QA1 will almost admit that. LOL Depending on your budget and rules a regular Bilstein shock that has been re-worked is about as good as any shock unless you get some high dollar bulb type shock. Also depends on your preference if you like the feel of monotube vs twin tube shock.

Quote Originally Posted by MM90 View Post
    50 series QA1 are a good twin tube shock. The 21A QA1 monotube shocks are junk and QA1 will almost admit that. LOL Depending on your budget and rules a regular Bilstein shock that has been re-worked is about as good as any shock unless you get some high dollar bulb type shock. Also depends on your preference if you like the feel of monotube vs twin tube shock.
    By sheer numbers Bilstein SL/SZ shocks are the most popular.

Default Generally

Generally I make it a point to try not to toot my own horn, however if you are interested in Bilstein product let me know. My customers had pretty good results this year with winning a national championship and a state championship in the modified division.

Are the SZ Bilstien's rebuildable and revalvable?

Are the SZ Bilstien's rebuildable and revalvable?
    Yes they are. The SZ is the digressive version. The SL which you might want to run on the Right Front is Linear.

What is the difference between digressive and linear?