Thread: birdcages

Default birdcages

could someone please explain to me how placement of birdcages effect handling of the car like side to side on axle tube and indexing forward and rearward?? Iv seen alot that are mounted closer to the center of rearend and I put new 4 bar brackets in my car (with no help really from chassis builder) and it was z link on rr and switched to 4 bar but the birdcages are out pretty far on axletube (i lined up new mounts inline with old z link mount and Im not sure what the birdcages out so far on axle will do) thanks

the farther out on the axle = more weight to that tire but less rear steer movement.
    Last edited by shoebox; 02-07-2013 at 01:16 AM.

Shoebox is correct. It takes 200# to compress a 200#spring 1 inch. That said - my theory is that as you move the spring outboard it is more effective (to me that is stiffer). If you move it inboard it becomes less effective (softer). It is all about leverage. Hopefully someone that is more learned will explain this theory better.

Quote Originally Posted by hasben View Post
    Shoebox is correct. It takes 200# to compress a 200#spring 1 inch. That said - my theory is that as you move the spring outboard it is more effective (to me that is stiffer). If you move it inboard it becomes less effective (softer). It is all about leverage. Hopefully someone that is more learned will explain this theory better.
    Like a nova vs a camaro. Closer to centerline, more roll.

thanks guys so should i move my birdcages in or leave them i have no clue where they should be from the start when we got the car it was so screwed up that i had absolutly nothing to go off of

Run them so the bars are slightly toed in at the front.

Alot are set to have the bars pointing strait ahead,then use heim spacers on chassis so the top links to point slightly toward the center of car.