Default more Rayburn questions

what does the car do when you mount the coilover on the birdcage vs the swingarm? My car is mounted LR birdcage and RR swingarm

putting the coilover on the bird cage makes that side a z-link uses a softer spring.some think it's easier to tune for track conditions .you see this set up a lot on the right rear

Quote Originally Posted by racinjason29 View Post
    what does the car do when you mount the coilover on the birdcage vs the swingarm? My car is mounted LR birdcage and RR swingarm
    I would think you would want it the other way. The RR spring on the birdcage will give you more sidebite because it makes a progressive spring rate. On the swingarm the RR becomes degressive which makes the car looser in the middle of the corner. A swingarm RR is good on the rough and cushion though, because it absorbs the bumps without upsetting the car as bad. The LR is working more on rebound, and by having the LR spring on the swingarm it doesnt unload the spring as much.The spring should be about double the rate on the swingarm than on the birdcage because of the leverage factor. Swingarms rates should be between 400 and 600 and springs on the birdcage should be 200 to 300 as a general rule of thumb

Could u run the rr coil over on sum type of clamped bracket instead of on the bird cage an make it work?

Im sorry, my car is RR birdcage, LR swingarm mounted, I made a typing mistake

Quote Originally Posted by 95rayburn View Post
    Could u run the rr coil over on sum type of clamped bracket instead of on the bird cage an make it work?
    If you run the RR clamped in front of the axle it will unload under deceleration due to the house rolling forward which would free entry considerably.
    Under acceleration when the housing starts to roll back, the spring will load which will give you more RR drive coming off and free you up.
    If my thinking on this is right, you would have an overall very free car which might work great on a hooked up track or for running a heavy cushion but I could see this being a real problem in the slick stuff. Might be something worth trying for a track that you know stays hooked up all night.

Then it might work if u clamped it on the backside of the rear end?

Quote Originally Posted by 95rayburn View Post
    Then it might work if u clamped it on the backside of the rear end?
    If by "work" you mean make the car overall tighter, I would think yes. I've never run or worked on a car with any type of clamped shock/spring on the RR so I'm just following the logic.
    If you had the RR clamped behind the tube, it should tighten entry and exit for the opposite reasons mentioned above if clamped in front. That being said, I don't think a car with this setup would turn at all on a heavy track. Just an educated guess though.
    Question becomes...has anyone ever tried this that can verify?

We ran LR swing / RR Z, and thought it helped overall on a paperclip track. We ran bottom groove almost exclusively, and was a generally smooth track.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt49 View Post
    If you run the RR clamped in front of the axle it will unload under deceleration due to the house rolling forward which would free entry considerably.
    Under acceleration when the housing starts to roll back, the spring will load which will give you more RR drive coming off and free you up.
    If my thinking on this is right, you would have an overall very free car which might work great on a hooked up track or for running a heavy cushion but I could see this being a real problem in the slick stuff. Might be something worth trying for a track that you know stays hooked up all night.
    the last season we ran our rayburn, we had 2 other rayburn cars at that track one had this set up and another had a 4 bar set up on the lr with z=link rr. they were fast in hot last and in the heats but come feature time the swingarm both sides with the purple bar would run off and hide. I have a video of just the 3 rayburn and our driver lapped the other two with the so called trick set ups. they would beat us in the mud but those heats never paid well.

We ran our Swartz car on the Z link RR and 4 Bar LR with a J Bar and never had side bite problems we got tied up in the 4 bar hype along with everyone else and gave up on the Z link. With the new front end geometry today I would love to go back and try again.