Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tilton clutch

Default Tilton clutch

I have a tilton Maxim single disc 7.5 clutch on a quartermaster flywheel, bought it used but in great shape. did not get a throw out bearing with it or attaching bolts to flywheel. What throw out bearing do I use on this with a stock pinto 214 tranny. I think the bolts are the short ones. Need to get a throwout. Thanks.
    Will a standard starter work with this flywheel, never used one of these before. sorry, it is a tilton sonic Mach 1.

Dan
    Last edited by dannyracer6; 02-14-2013 at 09:25 AM. Reason: add a question. wrong information.
    dr6 motorsports

measure from back of block to pressure plate fingers. I usually lay a straight edge across the pressure plate fingers and measure to back of block at bellhousing face. Then stick straight edge over bellhousing and measure back to front of clutch fork held by hand where you want the clutch to start disengaging. Subtract the bellhousing measurement from pressure plate measurement and a quarter inch. Then look for the length throwout bearing you need.You can even put the stock bearing on your fork for the measurement and then that will give you the +1/2 or +3/4 or whatever you need.
    BUCKLE UP NOW, YA HEAR?

thanks....does the starter care what flywheel it engages. ?
    dr6 motorsports

Quote Originally Posted by dannyracer6 View Post
    thanks....does the starter care what flywheel it engages. ?
    Yes, I think it must be matched. It will be helpful if you know how many teeth are on the starter ring of the flywheel. Should be able to determine the correct starter to use.

a stock starter or the smaller ranger starters(gear reduction)work with the 132 teeth flywheels
    No matter how hard you try...you cant fix stupid!!!

If you build it right...it will turn left!!!

www.raceidaho.com

thanks eric. I put the two flywheels together and they match as well as the teeth. Also the taller t/o bearing works with the small ford tranny, they sell it at Speedway in the pony section.

Does anyone up there use the alum. Esslinger intake for the iron head. I have a D port and an Oval port and I do not use them. Both in great condition. It is the little flat one. You seem to know a lot of racers up there.

Dan
    dr6 motorsports

this tilton I have has a 135 tooth flywheel, my stock flywheel is 132, Looks like the tilton will not work unless I get an aftermarket starter. My old gold star use a stock starter. go figure.
    dr6 motorsports

Default Intakes

thanks eric. I put the two flywheels together and they match as well as the teeth. Also the taller t/o bearing works with the small ford tranny, they sell it at Speedway in the pony section.

Does anyone up there use the alum. Esslinger intake for the iron head. I have a D port and an Oval port and I do not use them. Both in great condition. It is the little flat one. You seem to know a lot of racers up there.

Dan
    Just sent you a private Message on intakes. Let me know if you got it. Robert

Dan
    yes there are a few up here that can run those intakes...and i actually know a couple people looking

www.raceidaho.com

Question Tilton

Danny;

Somewhere along the line I recall an expensive lesson about matching the T/O bearing face to the style of pressure plate (3 adjustable arms vs diaphragm type). Some t/o's mave a flat machined face, others a radiused stamped face, again a call to tilton might be in order....
    JerryM

jerry, I figured out that I have to have a special starter for this 132 in flywheel, and by the time I buy one of those, I would be better off to just get a gold star and use the oem starters. I got this clutch assembly thinking it was like the gold star, well it is not. so I will just sell it to someone who has the stuff to go with it. I will run the oem with an alum flywheel. Cheaper, in the long run.

dan
    dr6 motorsports

Dan,we have a very good shape amuminum flywheel for sale that takes regular size clutch

www.raceidaho.com

Default tilton

Message me a price. I cant use this tilton without a starter. dont want to get too spendy on this thing.
    Dan
    dr6 motorsports

danny,
    ford used drives with different tooth counts. you might be able to just change the drive and use a stock starter. changed a lot of them years ago before starters became so cheap. what does the quartermaster/tilton combo weigh? did you sell your nissan stuff yet?

olin

Yes, I did. that tilton stuff is about 8# or so. super light. it is a 135 tooth quartermaster plate. I would really like to use it, but cant afford the starter. Now I could probably change the drive. what do I look for in a drive. I have a reman stock starter.

Dan
    dr6 motorsports

Default 135 tooth was fine with older starter but...

I had one of those tilton sonic mach setups for the 2.3 and it lunched starters. I had a lot of good advice sent to me by the board members on this part of the site and I tried it all but I just could not make the tilton flywheel mate up correctly. I never ever spent this much time trying to make a part work.

Funny thing is i have run the 135T quartermaster flywheel for ages with all styles of starters, older pinto, ranger, etc. and never ever had a problem. I tried the sonic setup and could not get a good mesh between starter gear and flywheel.

Mind you I was using test bellhousings, starters, checking for gap between starter bendix, shimming under starter ears with washers, etc. and all that, never got it to work. Ended up just shelving the whole unit and going back to Q/M flywheel and any old 2.3 starter.

Sonic was super light but if it doesn't work what good is it? Also, the parts are discontinued, as you are probably aware, so I'd say go for something more mainstream that you can get replacement parts for.

Never got this figured out. I did notice that the tooth shape on the QM is much thinner whereas the tooth shape on the tilton is tigher between high points, if this makes sense.

Ya, I give up on this one. It is not worth it. I got better things to do that fuss with this unit. When you go on the web, you cant get any info either. Thanks for the info you all gave me. \

Dan
    dr6 motorsports

Are you guys using a cable or hyd slave cylinders on race clutches i have a goldstar but have stock cable? Is the cable strong enuff of should i swap to hyd

this tilton that I have is a sonic mach 1 PP bolted to a quartermaster flywheel It came that way from the mfg. It is not a tilton flywheel but it does hav 135 teeth. I would really like to use if I can find a starter that does not cost me an arm and a leg, + the farm too.
    dr6 motorsports

DR6, which starter does Quater Master recommend to use with that flywheel?