Default Air Pressure for DOT Street tires

What's a good starting point with air pressure for dot street tires? I want to be able to keep them on the wheel. We can run a beadlock on the RR which I'm doing. I know its gonna change with track conditions, but I'm just wanting a ballpark starting point. Thanks

Start at the RF at 17 and drop a pound as you go around to RR another pound at LR another at LF. Its been some time since we ran dot tires but that is how we did it.

So basically. Something like this

LF 14 psi. RF 17 psi

LR 15 psi. RR 16 psi

Quote Originally Posted by bjcrawfo View Post
    So basically. Something like this

LF 14 psi. RF 17 psi

LR 15 psi. RR 16 psi
    If it's a high banked tracked may want to go higher on rightsides, rf 22, rr 20, 18 leftsides

What size tire, how fast/high banked track? On an IMCA hobby stock with a 205-70-15 tire I would NOT reccomend anything less then 28psi in the right side tires. Anything less then that and you run the risk of knocking it off the bead on a rough track. Eric

Default Paint

Take a can of white spray paint, spray a line from tread to wheel. It will show you what the tire is doing, and how much it is rolling over onto the side wall.
    Heats more air pressure, as the track is tacky and can pull bead off the wheel.
    Less for the feature, track is usually slicking off.
    More air if the track is getting rubber put down.
    When I ran street stock/bomber class, I use lard or Crisco on the side walls. I thought it saved the sidewall of the tires, it slid rather than tear out chunks of the tire... If it rubbed long enough I thought it smelled like I was cooking.
    Look at the tread it will tell you alot.

I know this is going to be a test and see type deal, but I've got some people telling me to use a lot of pressure and some saying to use less. This is a high banked track. If the track is wet I would need less pressure and if the track is dry slick then I would need more. Is this correct?

What size is the tire?

225/70/15.

Never let me down. This is on a 3300 lb car with 60 series tires. RF 25, RR 23, LR 21, LF 20

I ran 275-60-15 BF .G, 18fr 16rr 14fl 12 lr..... never had a problem keeping on rim,, track was very rough alot.. only gained 2 lbs on rr every now and then... 4/10 mile track in NC with decent banking

If you ever need to know the proper front end setting or the proper tire pressure all you need to do is take you tire temps. Every car will be different, many variables to contend with. this should be the first step in dialling in any car!