Default Oil Line from Back of Head to Pan?

Starting to see some circle track engines with a line that runs out of the back of the head, and down to the oil pan. I assume it is acting as a vent of some sort, due to windage off of the crank. Also, only seeing this on the passenger side. Was told from some hotrod/gearheads, that this line has been used by drag racers for awhile, especially with big stroked big blocks.

What size line are guys running for this? Pros & cons of running this line?

Thanks.

This line is used as a drain from the head to the pan. Oil tends to accumulate in the RH head.
    Josh K.

Totaly unnecessary if proper attention is paid to prepping the block and heads to get proper oil drainback.You will see it on the Mullins engines but you need lots of bells and whistles to justify their prices.

Lol it's funny I thought the same exact thing when I seen what Mullins was charging for those lol

definitely wont hurt to have the oil drain back through a line rather than dripping down onto the rotating assembly.

I see on mullins website they get 16,500 for an open mod motor and about 12,000 for an imca motor. is that considered alot for something with very nice parts that can turn 9k and win in the usmts on a regular basis?
    Last edited by stockcar5; 03-02-2013 at 09:16 AM.

Ah...............its their cheater nitro system.............lolOil drain back. You can control the drain back to keep everything submerged in oil up top. You can cut back on oiling requirements/load on oil pump..........and lubricate..... The height and how its vented is very important. There is HP in doing it.
    BUCKLE UP NOW, YA HEAR?

Although not a chevy I run #8 lines off the front and rear of the right head..and off the rear of the left head...It is a flat tappet engine with smith bros. restricted pushrods...On my roller cam engine the lifter restricts the oil but If I run the same heads with drainback holes I will keep the lines but not really necessary..

Quote Originally Posted by stockcar5 View Post
    definitely wont hurt to have the oil drain back through a line rather than dripping down onto the rotating assembly.

I see on mullins website they get 16,500 for an open mod motor and about 12,000 for an imca motor. is that considered alot for something with very nice parts that can turn 9k and win in the usmts on a regular basis?
    Call them and tell them you want a complete engine with carb top of the line fresh off the dyno and come back here and post the price , and turning 9k with a wet sump is idiotic

Quote Originally Posted by hucktyson View Post
    Call them and tell them you want a complete engine with carb top of the line fresh off the dyno and come back here and post the price , and turning 9k with a wet sump is idiotic
    call down sally..just cause you cant afford it doesnt mean lots of others cant. i went by the prices straight of their website.

as far as the 9000rpm thing..its being done and willing lots and lots of races. if dry sump was allowed im sure they would all run it.

Question

Whats Mullins web address?
    "If racing were easy, everybody would do it."

#77 Leon "Slick" Sells