Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Cool running a saginaw in a mod up's and down's

ok ive ben doing alot of looking into this i know the brinn tranny is the best but i do not have $1500 to fork out right now on one this will be my first year in a imca mod and i also race street stock so i plan on raceing the mod with the 3speed tranny cause i already have them and a $600 clutch kit thats pretty much new so here is my car set up05 grt 4link ford floater bsb bird cages spring slider behind lr shock in front spring slider in front rr shock behind running a 90/10 shock with a toqr link with 700lb to 1500lb progesiv spring solid motor mountsi was told that a 3speed will not work but ive seen post and cars for sale with them so i say it will work till i get fundings to get a raceing tranny my plan after ive looked at other sites i took my tranny draind all fluids and stood it stright up took side cover off and took the tail shaft out then removed the casing the shaft was only splind up to 4 1/2 inches then about 1 1/2 inches past the splines there was a hump in the shaft stoping the 8inch yoke from travling the whole way in so i took the shaft and had it put on a metal lathe and turnd it down just enouf so that the yoke could get full travel and now it does put it all back together and put tranny in car now i need to get the right length drive shaft for the car i got the 8inch yoke but how much of that yoke should i let stick in the tail shaft so i can get my drive shaft lenght my car sits with 7degree pinon angle i just need a good idea on how much the yoke should be sticking in the trans so i can get the drive shaft orderd and my yoke is the new style 8inch that is hollow the whole way threw so if its gonna bottom out it will bottom out on the pat of the yoke where the u-joints go and hit the tranny case where the seal is not where the splines are sticking out the back of the tranny am i going the right rout with this just keep in mind this is about useing a saginaw so i need info on that part i will get a brinn or falcon latter down the road when the time comes thank you all

Are you running a steel bell housing? If not you need to!

Sell that stuff to someone in a class that is required to run it. Buy a used Bert for around $750. You'll be glad you did.

I think you should follow mudeaters advice, but i would buy a brinn not a bert.

You need 2, 2 1/2in inside the trans at ride height.

Pros= nothing

Cons= after u buy everything to make it work is about the same price as a Bert.
    Good mini clutch
    Shifter
    hydraulic throw out bearing
    Bell housing
    Remove 1st gear lighten

It weighs a ton
    eats horsepower
    Not as strong

Pro- less lead

con- weight where you can't place it where you want too...
    " Most of my drivers have been new to 4 link stuff and I believe most of their chassis issues are really my driver issues....... "

see ya
    johnny v

Engine will rev faster with a bert brinn setup

As everyone else said, there are no positives and a whole lot of negatives. If you can't afford a Bert/Brinn/Falcon you shouldn't be racing a mod. Harsh, but, true.

I'm slowly learning you try to cheap out on something it's gonna cost three times as much in the end cause you'll end up braking replacing and braking again. After all the wasted time and money you end up buying the right part in the end. Yeah I'm guilty.

just watched a used bert sell on ebay for $440.00 most are from 550 up to 750 used in my area.to buy a sagnaw set it's 100 for trany used 75 up for hydro throwout bearing,250 up to 375 for a good used triple disc clutch. and 75 up to 325 for a steel bell housing. around here sport mod have to run 3 speeeds so it drove the prices back up so as stated before if you have the parts sell it and put that money toward a bert. bert are cheaper to get into and will hold up fine.they're the sbc of the trany world.

Default tranny

this is to the dirttrackrocker you can keep ur smart a$$ mouth shut not everyone was borin rich or sponcers fall right in your hand its not that i dont have the money to buy the tranny im just sittin on 5 trannys now and i race street stock and hobby stock right now i just got the mod as the 3rd car and ive ran sprints for 5 years on top of all that and payed for everything out of my pocket with no sponcers so you know what you can kiss and suck IF I HAD THE SPONCERS OR IF SOMEONE PUT ME IN THERE TOP OF THE LINE CAR I WOULD SMOKE YOUR A$$ IN A HEART BEAT AND YOUR SCREEN NAME WOULD GO TO DIRT DUD RACER I KNOW ITS BEST TO RUN THE BRINN BUT THAT WAS NOT WHAT I WAS ASKING IN THE POAST TO BEGIN WITH

I'm right there with you bonk, took my engine and 3spd out of my hobby stock and put it in an older 4bar mod. I've got about 10 races since last fall with no apparent issues. Solid motor mounts with a midplate, and a steel bellhousing. Good luck!

Default yep

yep there is always a way the whole point was just useing up what i have in my shop insted of letting it collect dust i already have 2 light weight clutch setups that are pretty much like new all the wanna be hot shots can go eat there steak dinner and go spend there $ or there sponcers $ on high $ parts and bold them on they just dont wanna get there hands greasy and put a little work into somthing i work my ass off just to do what i love doing and work till my hands bleed then you got some smart rich ass trying to tell you how to do it with bolt on parts id rather crank up the music spend hours in the shop working on my race cars than go out eat dinner and listin to some cranky ass rich wife i realy dont care what they say bout the weight they try to save my engin dyno at 610hp 358limit late model enging going in this mod and im not worried bout a little extra weight haveing a clutch in the car when you can only run a 8inch wheel you got thes rich guys out there running there money around a track that the car cant handel all there high$ parts and flying apart spinning tires and waveing to the in field with there left front tire all they do is show off and lose track time anyway i like my car with all 4 on the track thats the way it should be ive seen so manny hot shots spend ton of money and get there a$$ takein down by back woods racer manny times where i come from i kill my food drink my beer and work my ass of just to race on the weekends mabey someday ill get some sponcers to help me out with somthing i work and also work on my cars pretty much my self i do all my engine building my self just to save money ben building engines for 15years dirt and drag and non never left me down other than a faultie part so MR know it all kan kiss my hard workin poor A$$ you know what i meen

There is not a light weight clutch alive that will accelerate with a direct drive transmission. No one is talking being rich, If you looked around you could sell what you have, put a Brinn in and have $$ left.

Default really

bonk_87

I dont have a dog in this fight, but to ask a question, get some responses, and attack a member that is really stating a facts, is not really the way to get assistance in the matter at hand.
    Do what you wish, but you are better off in the long run to sell the multipul tranny's you have and the clutches you have and fund the racing unit.
    If everythig works with the 3 speed than great you got lucky, but if it doesn't and you break a trans or a bellhousing, rip out the x crossmember in the car, destroy a driveshaft, rip off the pinion, and yoke, puncture a hole in fuelcell, and leak out fuel everywere (maybe catch fire). Also, if you have a tranny or clutch explosion injure your right leg.. Just stating a harsh reality, because I have seen it happen. Just think if you are hurt bad enough and you cannot work, was it worth it? Probably not.

I know it is hard to fund stuff, but think about the repair costs ahead of time. Especially with what can possibly happen on what I have written above, sit out a while and buy the trouble free parts. You will thank yourself in the long run.
    Last edited by JustAddDirt; 03-04-2013 at 07:50 AM.
    I think there should be lifeguards in the genepool.

I'm with the guys above me bonk. Maybe he said it in a way you didn't like but you really should try to run a race transmission if you can. I had a stock transmission lock up on me, without any warning. I was running a 3 speed in my 3000 lb pro stock and luckily it was in hot laps.almost put me in the fence and might have got really hurt if it was in a race. Save yourself the frustration and get a transmission made to handle that nice motor you've got.

Do what you can afford to keep racing. Work on the setup and get the new tranny later.

I'm one of those if you can do it cheaper then that's how I do it. But like some have said above, it will probably end up costing you in the end. Used Brinn's that have been freshned are around $900. I hope you can make it work, and I hope you do well with it. But buy a Bert/Brinn/Falcon/Racegator/Mitchell as soon as you can.

Quote Originally Posted by bonk_87us View Post
    yep there is always a way the whole point was just useing up what i have in my shop insted of letting it collect dust i already have 2 light weight clutch setups that are pretty much like new all the wanna be hot shots can go eat there steak dinner and go spend there $ or there sponcers $ on high $ parts and bold them on they just dont wanna get there hands greasy and put a little work into somthing i work my ass off just to do what i love doing and work till my hands bleed then you got some smart rich ass trying to tell you how to do it with bolt on parts id rather crank up the music spend hours in the shop working on my race cars than go out eat dinner and listin to some cranky ass rich wife i realy dont care what they say bout the weight they try to save my engin dyno at 610hp 358limit late model enging going in this mod and im not worried bout a little extra weight haveing a clutch in the car when you can only run a 8inch wheel you got thes rich guys out there running there money around a track that the car cant handel all there high$ parts and flying apart spinning tires and waveing to the in field with there left front tire all they do is show off and lose track time anyway i like my car with all 4 on the track thats the way it should be ive seen so manny hot shots spend ton of money and get there a$$ takein down by back woods racer manny times where i come from i kill my food drink my beer and work my ass of just to race on the weekends mabey someday ill get some sponcers to help me out with somthing i work and also work on my cars pretty much my self i do all my engine building my self just to save money ben building engines for 15years dirt and drag and non never left me down other than a faultie part so MR know it all kan kiss my hard workin poor A$$ you know what i meen
    Talking like that, good luck getting big $$$$ sponsors, or anything for that matter. Just sayin.
    I am not rich, nor do I clain to be. But attitude, and presentation has alot to do with who gets sponsorships.
    Just an observation.
    I think there should be lifeguards in the genepool.