Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: methanal help

What you have should work. 5.5psi or so is enough to run a 4 cylinder and I like to get the genuine holley needle and seat for alcohol for it will hold 7psi easily. Run at 7 psi. Double check everything. An alky carb designed for a v8 with 3-12 pressure may need tweaked to get it to work on your 4cyl. The main change will be the original holley needle and seat for alky. Plug gaps at .030 or so is fine. Plug wires and all the common stuff. If you have a tack unhook that. What you have should work fine so check everything over close.............compression readings from cylinder to cylinder/idle vacuum/valve lash sealing. 4500 is around max torque for the combo and is the likely point of a miss for weak cylinder pressure/spark.Make certain the boosters are not dripping fuel at idle. Make certain the throttle blades aren't open too far at idle. With the carburetor off you will see the T slot and if the carb was new they set that idle screw appropriately. If you had to jack up the throttle blades to get it to idle you could have uncovered the t slots too far causing your issue. Also check when you pump the throttle that the squirter is working and that fuel is squirting out. Alky carbs have a tendency to not squirt after periods of setting. Hope some of these tips can help you get it figured out. Just to give you an idea the 500 holley float bowl is capable of around 350hp on alky. You could add bowl extensions and go more than that. V8's need the 11psi but 4 cylinders don't because it's not making enough hp. You could put a block pump on there and run alky on a 4 cyl just like a gas engine. The supply is sufficient on the 4cyl. I assume you are using electric because your block isn't drilled for manual pump. A bypass system is ok but an electric pump setup for a 5psi system just like a gas engine will work. Also, the black pump is setup for 14psi and will require a regulator for sure. Just to give you an idea 60 gph pump will feed 350 hp. A standard holley red pump with no regulator will run that engine easy. I know you got that black pump because it says its alky compatible. Keep some top end lube in the deal and don't sweat it if you start every week. Now don't let it set all winter without taking it apart and lubing it up.
    Last edited by let-r-eat; 03-20-2013 at 07:14 PM.
    BUCKLE UP NOW, YA HEAR?

carb is all set up fine and everything else is brand new
    so set it at 5.5 and tht all i need not 9 to 12crapping on it self on top end wont turn rpm with the system i have is the issue
    i know i turn 8000 on gas and now on allky wont do it
    Last edited by grydergeyer26; 03-21-2013 at 02:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by grydergeyer26 View Post
    carb is all set up fine and everything else is brand new so set it at 5.5 and tht all i need not 9 to 12crapping on it self on top end wont turn rpm with the system i have is the issue i know i turn 8000 on gas and now on allky wont do it
    You don't need all that. Set it at 5.5, make sure float is set properly and let it eat.If its missing up top I'd be looking elsewhere. On the 4 popper if its lean up top it will feel like you threw out an anchor or like your dragging the brake. Shut it down because it won't last long if its doing that. More likely that you have some other issue.
    Last edited by let-r-eat; 03-21-2013 at 03:55 PM.
    BUCKLE UP NOW, YA HEAR?

st i at wide open or at idleat 5.5 and i that for any engine

5.5 idle should be fine. Just make sure it isn't dropping like a rock at the end. a good steady 5.5 is plenty.
    BUCKLE UP NOW, YA HEAR?