Thread: tire treatments

Default tire treatments

What is the best products to use to soften tires. (Just so u know we have no tire rule)

Get a hold of a go kart racer

"hot lap 2" tire treatment works well. it's best to put 8 to 10 oz inside the tire, then let the tire rotate continuously on a grinding stand or something to let it soak through from the inside. You'll also want to take a small paint roller and roll on a few layers worth to the outside of the tire. Best thing is to wrap the tire when your done with some visqueen or some type of plastic and let it sit for a day or so. Make sure your grinding your tires and keeping the glaze off.

I've never tried it but have heard smearing orange go jo type handwash to the outside and wrapping it works well too.

Default tire treatment

it's ben a long time since iv raced go-karts but wht i use to use to clean the clay of with meen green from the doller store you can get a gallon for $5 and it pulls the clay right out of the tire then spry it down again and let it soak in always made my tires softer another thing is i raced hobby for the past 3 years and we can only run hossier 500 i tryed alot of things to make them soft and found this trick online long time ago take paint thinner and diesel fuel and mix it 50-50 use a paint brush and paint your tire like you would paint a fence post let it set for a day adding a coat every 6 to 8 hours i tryed this and it helped my car hook up alot just trying to throw some ideas out there good luck

If you have no tire rule you can get ahold of me. My son raced karts for the past 9 years and this year is going to be racing a modified so we have dealt with alot of different preps and conditioners over the years. Thanks Clint 920-360-2033

C+H Clutches and kart parts
    Predator Chassis dealer

1/3 acetone, 1/3 mineral spirits, 1/3 transmission fluid - This prep is for at the track application. I Have found that is takes about 15 - 30 minutes soak time depending on the weather and works pretty good.
    1/3 mineral spirits, 2/3 diesel fuel - This prep is very slow soak stuff. The way I use this stuff is start soaking tires the day after a race and apply twice a day everday until the day before the next race. The day BEFORE you race early in the morning completely soak tire and wrap in aluminum foil. Leave wrapped until you get to the track or until you get ready to go to the track. This works real well also on tires that have set up and gotten a little harder than normal.
    1/2 transmission fluid, 1/2 acetone - I have not used this one yet. I will update later.
    1/3 transmission fluid, 1/3 diesel fuel, 1/3 mineral spirits - I have not used this one yet. I will update later.
    8 ounces TIRE CLAW, 1 quart diesel fuel, and the balance of a gallon Xylene - This was given to me by Steve Stevens and he claims is will soften a 70 (durometer) to a 0 in about 20 minutes!
    50% Xylene - 50% Toluene - This is for at the track application where quick softening is needed. I have to say so far this is my favorite. I requires less than 10 minutes soak time and really works. A BIG plus for this mixture is it doesn't leave that oily residue on the tire you have to scrub off like the mixtures that contain tranny fluid do.
    The above mixture of Xylene/Toluene can actually be custom mixed to meet your tracks needs. If you need it to sit on the tire a little longer and not soak in as quick add 2-3 ounces of Transmission fluid to the quart. If you need it to soak in a little more and last a little longer during the race mix in 2-3 ounces of Transmission sealer. The sealer will open the pores on the tire.
    Acetone, Xylene, and Toluene are all types of paint thinners/cleaners and can be bought at any commercial paint store. Acetone and Xylene can sometimes be found at Wal-Mart, Home Depot, or Lowes.

! ! !WARNING! ! !

All of these preps contains materials that are harmfull to the skin. You should ALWAYS wear chemical resistant rubber gloves when applying. Winning a race is not worth risking your health. I'm not saying that any of these formula's are deadly to have but always take every precaution as if they were! Many of the materials listed above also are not good to inhale. Always use in a well ventilated area. Use with caution in a safe manner and maybe this will help you gain a 10th or two.
    white trash motorsports