Thread: Birdcages..

Default Birdcages..

Besides weight; What is the advantage of alum over steel?
    Also who builds birdcages for the 2011-up rayburns? Or what chassis is the closet to them. Need a new birdcage (4bar)got some steel ones I can use if I have to, but looking to go back to alum. .Going to buy a new pair just can't find any online that are specfic to a rayburn....Thanks in advance.

Quote Originally Posted by Mod66x View Post
    Also who builds birdcages for the 2011-up rayburns? Or what chassis is the closet to them. Need a new birdcage (4bar)got some steel ones I can use if I have to, but looking to go back to alum. .Going to buy a new pair just can't find any online that are specfic to a rayburn....Thanks in advance.
    If you're going from steel sleeved to aluminum bearing then the benefit is more forward bite. The bearing birdcages are always free and allow the 4-bar to do its thing.
    The weight saving with aluminum in general is good because you are cutting down on un-sprung weight which in theory is going to let your contact patches work better...again, better overall traction.

This is a quote from a machinery handbook....

The modulus of elasticity of aluminium (whatever grade) is only about 1/3 that of steel. So the deflection of an aluminium structure will be 3x that of a similar steel structure. If deflection is important you will need 3x more `second moment of area` (approx 3x more weight) of aluminium in order to achieve the same deflection as the steel structure. Aluminium is also 1/3 the weight of steel so both structures would now weigh the same.

So with the extra thickness of the aluminum birdcages and the extra weight of the bolts... I really doubt there is a weight savings... Probably actually heavier. Theres some very nice steel ones being made now.

Quote Originally Posted by jason29a View Post
    This is a quote from a machinery handbook....

The modulus of elasticity of aluminium (whatever grade) is only about 1/3 that of steel. So the deflection of an aluminium structure will be 3x that of a similar steel structure. If deflection is important you will need 3x more `second moment of area` (approx 3x more weight) of aluminium in order to achieve the same deflection as the steel structure. Aluminium is also 1/3 the weight of steel so both structures would now weigh the same.

So with the extra thickness of the aluminum birdcages and the extra weight of the bolts... I really doubt there is a weight savings... Probably actually heavier. Theres some very nice steel ones being made now.
    You're right, Jason. They aren't much lighter if at all.
    One thing I value quite a bit is the modularity of a bolt-together birdcage. If you tear up a part of it, you're not out the entire birdcage. I supposed bolt-togethers can be found in a variety of materials.
    The grade of aluminum used is also important. Aluminum comes in many different flavors and not all builders are using the best stuff.
    I personally really like TWM's stuff and I have heard nothing but good things about Wehr's also.
    As with most things, you get what you pay for.

My experince has been that the aluminum bearing cages are stronger and can bend an ear without deforming the main body, which has happened with some steel one I have had . I also like TWM, I prefer them over the BSB's that came on our new car. Wehrs looks like a good product too and I have a brake floater from them that is a good piece . I would be willing to sell my BSB's if they would work for you(only 10 races old and no damage), I doubt there is much difference in a Rocket 4bar birdcage and a Rayburn .

Quote Originally Posted by TALON75 View Post
    My experince has been that the aluminum bearing cages are stronger and can bend an ear without deforming the main body, which has happened with some steel one I have had . I also like TWM, I prefer them over the BSB's that came on our new car. Wehrs looks like a good product too and I have a brake floater from them that is a good piece . I would be willing to sell my BSB's if they would work for you(only 10 races old and no damage), I doubt there is much difference in a Rocket 4bar birdcage and a Rayburn .
    I maybe interested in them.... send me some info to race229@yahoo.com

TWM is a nice piece.
    BUCKLE UP NOW, YA HEAR?

CJ Rayburn is a true car builder they make a lot of the parts in house so most of the time you can call and they'll send what ever you need.

try rusty schlenk racing....he can help u out im sure.......