Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 4412 help

Quote Originally Posted by dirtman45 View Post
    Did it work?
    Just got it all back together gonna crank tomorrow after rtv dries.does anyone know what kind of vacuum it should have?I am gonna hook a gauge to it when I crank it ,and will drilling the holes in the butterflies drop it considerably or just a little.Also how do you drop the vacuum if it is to high.It has a quick fuel carb and there are 1/16 holes in it now.

Seems like mine had around 10 or 12 for vacuum. Why do you have to drop the vacuum?

Seems like mine had around 10 or 12 for vacuum. Why do you have to drop the vacuum?
    May not have to but it is sucking oil thru the intake gaskets into the intake gonna check it this afternoon to see what I have .It may be ok if so we have another problem although we cant find anything remotely out of the ordinary.

Try a good 4412 or even a stock one.

Quote Originally Posted by keeter57 View Post
    May not have to but it is sucking oil thru the intake gaskets into the intake gonna check it this afternoon to see what I have .It may be ok if so we have another problem although we cant find anything remotely out of the ordinary.
    The only way it's doing this would be because it's not sealing right. Yes you may be chasing another problem that you have not found yet.

Just got it all back together gonna crank tomorrow after rtv dries.does anyone know what kind of vacuum it should have?I am gonna hook a gauge to it when I crank it ,and will drilling the holes in the butterflies drop it considerably or just a little.Also how do you drop the vacuum if it is to high.It has a quick fuel carb and there are 1/16 holes in it now.
    There is no such thing as having too much vacuum. The higher the better.

Quote Originally Posted by Driver50x View Post
    There is no such thing as having too much vacuum. The higher the better.
    We have a quickfuel carb on it now,still getting some oil residue in intake where else could this be coming from?Almost looks as if its in the fuel cause when it gets in there its even on the bottom of the carb.

Are you sure it is oil?

dirtman45 maybe on to something are you sure it's engine oil? do you use a k&n filter? could it be the oil from the filter? That is the reason why I quit using one and went with a dry filter! Just a thought.

Quote Originally Posted by harris44 View Post
    dirtman45 maybe on to something are you sure it's engine oil? do you use a k&n filter? could it be the oil from the filter? That is the reason why I quit using one and went with a dry filter! Just a thought.
    we do but havent had it on there while running it in the shop.Havent ran it on the track yet to see if it clears up.Really does act like its in the fuel but dont know how.All I have changed is the fuel line to the pump from tank its a stainless flex hose it was brand new shouldnt be anything in it.And the oil does look like engine oil but could be something else i guess.Whats baffeling is its on the bottom of the carb also and bottom of butterflies.

So if you wipe your finger through it and smell it what does it smell like? Is there enough of it where you can move it between your index finger and thumb to see if it feels oily?

I just can't think of any way, other than what has been brought up, that would bring oil into that area.

What kind of gas are you using?

So if you wipe your finger through it and smell it what does it smell like? Is there enough of it where you can move it between your index finger and thumb to see if it feels oily?

I just can't think of any way, other than what has been brought up, that would bring oil into that area.

What kind of gas are you using?
    110 octane racing fuel . We were just talking if this stuff has a top lube and set all winter and settled out it could be possible.And yes it is oily between your fingers.

Race fuel shouldn't have a toplube in it. What brand of fuel? VP? Sunoco? Can you put some on your finger or take a pict of the bottom of the carb so we can see it? Something sounds weird!

Quote Originally Posted by harris44 View Post
    Race fuel shouldn't have a toplube in it. What brand of fuel? VP? Sunoco? Can you put some on your finger or take a pict of the bottom of the carb so we can see it? Something sounds weird!
    yea when i get home i can but you cant hardly tell cause its pretty clear but i will try.

yea when i get home i can but you cant hardly tell cause its pretty clear but i will try.
    Ran the car yesterday on some test runs,doesnt smoke til bout 5500 rpms,intake is dry ,got home pulled plugs, they are clean,pulled valve covers to check valve seals,there ar eseveral that the springs have pulled up off of the heads prob where the oil is coming from does anyone know which would be the best seals to put on to keep this from happening?

If you can, switch to plain old o-ring seals. The umbrella style sometimes hang up. That's all I use and it never smokes.

If you can, switch to plain old o-ring seals. The umbrella style sometimes hang up. That's all I use and it never smokes.
    I think i have messed around and found the problem.Apparently the rocker stud are drilled thru the intake side of the heads into the runners,when the heads were dipped and cleaned this winter it apparently ate up the silicone on the threads and the vacuum is pulling oik from the stud holes,I took them out cleaned and re sealed them we will see tomorrow if this solves the problem

Well that would do it. Post on here if that solved your problem.

Well that would do it. Post on here if that solved your problem.
    Seems to have fixed it,ran down the road had very little smoke prob just what residue was left in headers and intake but pulled carb and no new oil at all.Also went over all grounds,up jetted carb,had dist checked,ran totally miss free and very quick.Thanks to all of you for your help and suggestions this is a great place to learn things even if you have done it for years.Goin racin sat. night.

Red face

good luck on saturday