Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Timing issue

Default Timing issue

Got the new motor fired up finally. Put the timing light on it and it will only run at "47" degrees and above. If I try to retard it, it will run like crap and wont start. It starts pretty easy and isn't getting hot at "47" degrees. Tried 2 different lights with same result. Any ideas would help a lot. Thanks. It's a sbc 418 with brodix aluminum heads and msd ignition

Do not use a light with a dial

I used 2 different digital lights. When the motor was assembled they used a tdc indicticator on #1. I have timing tape on the balancer with no other marks.

Default Hmmmmm

Wrong timing tab for ballancer size??

Using the same setup as I did last year.

16 volt battery?????? If so it will show wrong timing higher than normal...( with digital lite )

12 volt battery and I have hooked up to 2 different batteries. I can get it down to 34 degrees and it will run but it will not restart. It acts as if it is too retarded to start. If I advance it just a little it will fire right up.

Wires on pickup in distributor swapped possibly. They will run like that, but will not run right.

Are you talking about the black/orange and black/purple? Coming out of the base of the dist?

Yes try reversing them, see if it helps.

Swapped the wires and it was a little better but still not right. I can get it down to 32 degrees and it ran great but it just will not restart there. I have to advance it about 10* to get it to fire up. I recently replaced the magnetic pickup in the dist. I got the mag as close to the reluctor as I could get without touching, would it possibly be to close and its picking up more than one signal? Thanks

i timed two engines last night first 4 cly timed fine second 602 crate on MSD could not time the 602 timing light was reading 7000 when it was idling.hooked light straight to battery instead of the charging post then it would work so i think that car has some typ of short in it's wiring. maybe you have some typ of problem like that. on my own car i always run the light off my jump box. i use a matco digital adjustable light and never had a problem with it.

I though that may of been my problem so I've been running it off of my winch battery(which is a brand new red top optima)

Quote Originally Posted by crateracer16 View Post
    I though that may of been my problem so I've been running it off of my winch battery(which is a brand new red top optima)
    but is it in the car or just on the ground. ??? is there a cam button in the engine. cam could be walking messing with the timing.
    Last edited by twisterf5; 04-16-2013 at 06:41 PM.

and what is the cam set at if installed wrong ( not degree in ) that would make you have to run that much timing and would start hard.

Out of the car sitting on a milk crate on the floor. There is a cam button. Dumb question but is the button suppose to go behind or in front of the tab that also bolts onto the cam gear? The cam is heads up. Same place it was installed last year with no issues.didnt degree it in. Even when I have to put a little more in it to start, it still starts easily. It starts like it may have about 38 to 40*. It may grunt just a slight bit after a few turns.

in front on the tab. strait up on a 418 using a 3-875 stoke will be way off. most cam's on that stoke have to be advanced to get to 104 or so. if that cam was not degree in (even if you are running the same stuff) i would think you put a new chain in it that is were all your problems are at.put a degree wheel on it. i have a 9 key way chain on mine and have it on 8 advance to get to 105 strait up on mine would be around 110 to 111 and would be a dog.

I did put a new cam chain in it. So I need to pull it out and have someone degree it in?

Also what do I do if I lost my cam card? I know the duration at .050 is 260 but I don't know where the intake should open at. So is it impossible to degree the cam with out that info?

Quote Originally Posted by crateracer16 View Post
    Also what do I do if I lost my cam card? I know the duration at .050 is 260 but I don't know where the intake should open at. So is it impossible to degree the cam with out that info?
    best way would be to pull it and get the part number off the back. but if it is a oval cam 104 to 106 would be safe. you could drop to as low as 102 but the lower you go the more bottom end you have and with that stroke bottom end should not be a problem. if it was mine i would just put it at 104