Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Timing issue

It is an oval track cam. Red line cam. Where do I need to degree it in at to get to 104 or 106? Thanks for the help

Quote Originally Posted by crateracer16 View Post
    It is an oval track cam. Red line cam. Where do I need to degree it in at to get to 104 or 106? Thanks for the help
    to many different gear set out there.you would have to have the tools and know how to use them to degree it. first i would find some one that knows how and i would get a good 9 key way gear set.mine is a 421 sb2 on full advance A8 on lower gear and the best i could get was 105. but that on my cam. guessing at it could hurt you in the long run. like valve clearance ext.if you in NC i would give you a hand.

I'm a little ways away from ya. In Ohio. But I appreciate the offer. Ill get it to someone who knows how to do it though. Thanks for the help

Ok. Had the cam degreed by a builder. Got it home and back in and fired. Doing the same exact thing still. My buddy brought up a good point,hopefully. I put a different msd box in the car than what I had last year. It was used and untested. Could that cause my false/inaccurate reading if something is wrong with the box? I tried the test that msd recommends and I didn't get spark,as per their test, but the car does start.

Quote Originally Posted by crateracer16 View Post
    Ok. Had the cam degreed by a builder. Got it home and back in and fired. Doing the same exact thing still. My buddy brought up a good point,hopefully. I put a different msd box in the car than what I had last year. It was used and untested. Could that cause my false/inaccurate reading if something is wrong with the box? I tried the test that msd recommends and I didn't get spark,as per their test, but the car does start.
    . what box are you running does yours have chip. try pulling chip out or put a different chip in it. if new style box adjust to a setting you would not normally use. make sure pick up wires are not run near any power wire that right there could do it. what was the cam at and what did they put it at.

been alotta MSD issues lately...id be trying a known to be good box!!
    white trash motorsports

A msd 6al box. Not a new digital one either. I tried pulling the chip out and replacing it. No luck. Cam was in at 108 and went back in at 105. Also had to move the crank key advanced 2*. Im putting my old box in from last year that worked when I pulled it to see if it works. I did have the mag pickup wires close to power wires so I loved them and no change.