Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Metric setup help

Track is a very high banked 4/10mile dirt track. Its a bomber class.

LF 800 RF1250

LR 225 RR 200

Car handles good through the longer turns on the track which is 3 and 4, but in 1 and 2 the car is very tight and pushes up the track very bad. Running street tires BFG.

air pressures

LF 15 RF 18

LR 15 RR 16

I have been told to take 1/2 to 3/4 shims out of RR. Not sure. Any help would be appreciated.

Make sure the RF spring is not bottoming out causing your push. 1250lbs sounds heavy but not necessarily for a metric front. A friend of mine use to run 1400 in the RF and 1200 in the LF of his bomber and he won about 40 features in 3 years with it. It was a 3000 lb weight rule class.

Thumbs up Metric

950 LF 900RF

You are way to heavy RF its just like you put a solid bar there

Your nose Weight should be your spring weight /2

Make shure your shocks are not hitting or binding up.

what front end settings do you have

3250 total weight car with 1700 min nose weight I ran 900 and 850

Let it plant in the corners

JMO

Default Air Pres.

Bump the Rf up to 20 or 22 and the RR to 18

The side walls dont give you any benifit

Dont take the shims out of the RR
    Dont trust the guy who told you that.

Quote Originally Posted by Dirt Knife View Post
    950 LF 900RF

You are way to heavy RF its just like you put a solid bar there

Your nose Weight should be your spring weight /2

Make shure your shocks are not hitting or binding up.

what front end settings do you have

3250 total weight car with 1700 min nose weight I ran 900 and 850

Let it plant in the corners

JMO
    Not trying to start anything, but that's just not correct info. Chevelle lowers have a 36% ratio. Metric lowers have a 23% ratio. If you have a 650 spring in a Chevelle you have 234# at the balljoint (650 x 36%= 234). So to get close to that with Metric lowers you'd have to run a 1000# spring (1000 x 23%= 230) to get 230# at the balljoint.. Modifieds with metric lowers run 1000-1200# front springs and they weigh 2400# and have 56 - 58% rear weight which has the fr wheel weights in the 500# range. Soft front spring setups are for 4 bar cars in which the birdcage can index and add LR when hiked up. Higher banked tracks also require stiffer front springs, because the car is pushed toward the track during cornering as opposed to rolling toward the RF. I'd make sure the RF isn't bottoming. Take the RF spring out. Jack up the RF wheel and see what will hit first (lower A arm to frame, shock travel, etc). Put a piece of duct tape where it will hit. Hotlap it and look at the tape. If it bottomed you'll see it on the tape. If yes, add more spring untill it doesn't bottom. I bet a 1400 or 1500# RF will fix it !

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HvLawQqu2QQ

#50 car starting in 5th position it has the #31 on the hood for a sponsor

post says 950 lf 900 rf not 650 like in my mod

notice after the 2 yahoos in front finaly break clean with 3 laps to go to where I go around them
    The 2 yahoos are 5th and 6th in points

3 laps to go by by notice how the r f stays pinned down not like a pogo stick

your nose weight shold be your front spring /2 aprox.

Default another way to look at it.

shock travel indicators if your right rear has 4" compression
    your R front should have the same. what ever the ### 3" comp. 2" comp ect.
    ballance the chassis

if your Right rear has 4" comp. and your Right Front only 1/4"
    or 2-1/4" with all the whole weight of the car on it ???? 3100#s

unless yor running 36* banking

just a thought

post says 950 lf 900 rf not 650 like in my mod
    Sorry I lost you. The 650 was an example to explain the ratios. I'm not arguing with you. Maybe the original poster will get what he needs from my answer. Have a nice day.

unless yor running 36* banking
    Poster said "Track is a very high banked 4/10mile dirt track". I watched your video, track is as flat as a parking lot. Look at any set up sheet for changes when going to a banked track. It will say "INCREASE front spring rates".
    Last edited by mudeater18; 04-15-2013 at 08:28 PM.

Default Yes

You are correct.

He needs to look at his shock travel he pushes like a freight train in 1 and 2

When I took the my car same set up on a rain out date to another local track
    30* 1/2 mile
    it carried the left front
    all thru the corner and passed 4 cars per turn had to sart in the back (visiting driver penalty)
    they stoped the feature and kicked me off the track for good. no imca, or ump, wissota here

the corner with the stiffer spring will get the most weight and overloads the tire
    if his caster and camber and toe are set right drop the spring rate
    350+ lbs
    do what your car needs ifit starts to push in 3-4 from bottoming out then bump up 50 lbs

my car ran 1" off of bottoming out I would guess he is 4" from that

Quote Originally Posted by stock car driver View Post

Adding more rf spring will make the rf bottom out more not less. .
    Whaaat ? Happy racing to you guys. lol !

Default Thanks

First of all, thanks for all the input! I called medieval chassis today and told them my problem and what I had to work with and basically they told me that the problem was that I had to much split in the front springs. They said that I needed to keep the 1250 in the right front, but to ditch the 800 LF and put a 1100 in the LF. That was there .02. So I'm gonna try some things and see.

Make sure that if you are using a stock mount rf shock, that you space it down from the lower a frame atleast 3/8 " from my exp. I run stock car drivers setup, and it is the best thing ive ever done. Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by turner View Post
    Make sure that if you are using a stock mount rf shock, that you space it down from the lower a frame atleast 3/8 " from my exp. I run stock car drivers setup, and it is the best thing ive ever done. Good luck.
    We do have to run shocks in stock location. What are you referring to space it down 3/8"?

Quote Originally Posted by bjcrawfo View Post
    We do have to run shocks in stock location. What are you referring to space it down 3/8"?
    When we ran the shock mounted to the lower A frame it would bottom out . You may need to put some washers between the lower a frame and the shock.( lower shock mount will be lower than a frame) We put 3/8 spacers in there and haven't bottomed it out since. Doesn't take alot , but it made a world of diff in the handling, because we were bottoming the shock out.

Quote Originally Posted by bjcrawfo View Post
    First of all, thanks for all the input! I called medieval chassis today and told them my problem and what I had to work with and basically they told me that the problem was that I had to much split in the front springs. They said that I needed to keep the 1250 in the right front, but to ditch the 800 LF and put a 1100 in the LF. That was there .02. So I'm gonna try some things and see.
    I'd say that's definitely a step in the right direction ! Let us know the results.

Default wow

run sc driver and I's set up
    still way to heavy

have you had the cars on the scales

just my .02

Thumbs up shocks

take the top bushing off the stock mount shock Right Front
    and run 2" bolts in the bottom mount with at least 3/8" spacers.
    while you have the spring out runn the suspension full motion with shock bolted in
    to make shure no binding.

on the left front take the bottom bushing off the top mount of the shock
    and bolt right to the bottom of a arm

again runn thru full range up and down of motion with shock installed
    no binds or rubs
    install our spring rates and run up front

when you are done wasting time and money on springs
    ect

remember this post

1250 RF is WAY too stiff. I run a 850 on the RF of my 3200 lb metric street stock, whether I'm on a 1/4 or 1/2 mile track. No bottom out issues. I had 19 feature wins last year and am 3 for 3 so far this year. Listen to stock car driver. If you spring the front end like a tank then it's going to push like one as well. The fron and rear need to work together.

take the top bushing off the stock mount shock Right Frontand run 2" bolts in the bottom mount with at least 3/8" spacers.while you have the spring out runn the suspension full motion with shock bolted in to make shure no binding.on the left front take the bottom bushing off the top mount of the shockand bolt right to the bottom of a armagain runn thru full range up and down of motion with shock installed no binds or rubsinstall our spring rates and run up front when you are done wasting time and money on springs ectremember this post
    Just wondering if it should be move the bottom bushing from the right top and move top bushing from the top left mounts of the shocks? Seems to me that you would want the right front to have more travel for compression and the left front to have more travel for the extension. Not trying to cause any arguments, just want to understand because we are gonna try this on our hobby stock. What springs do you recommend also? We are running a 1100RF and 1000LF.